The Chinese custom of removing shoes at the door..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people (Chinese as well as American) take off their shoes before entering the house.

163363[/snapback]

Huh??

Tony, are you saying most Americans take off their shoes ... or did I not understand?

I don't personally know of any Americans who have been here for more than one generation who routinely remove their shoes when entering their home.

Hmmmmm, after rethinking this I wonder---The streets are dirty so they remove their shoes. Well, the air in the world isn't that clean anymore either. Does anyone else think that it's about time we started the 'remove your clothes at the door' policy??? I for one am going to mention this to wifey--sounds like a winner to me---unless of course we have guests in which case we can make it optional unless it's the ex---EWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Since I was in College in Japan I have taken off my shoes when I enter my home. I also like being bare foot. So could someone trll me how I can get my Chinese SO to do this? We go home. I leave my shoes at the door and she wears her's throughout the apartment. To relax at home she then takes them off at the door and changes to slippers (mine) since I'm barefoot. I tried getting her slippers when we were out but "no need". Anyone know how to introduce her to this custom?

Now the two shower requirement she implemented. Is that safe in winter? I thought a thick hide helps peotect against flu :huh:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Trigg,

leaving clothing at the door is a great way to make friends and influence people. Course, it might scare the hell out of some, unless of course you place a sanitary towel before sitting.

Dan,

sharing showers in the winter remains completely safe, at least until she drops the soap. And for your slippers, there should be plenty of those plastic spiders around, you might try using a couple of them stategically placed inside ......well, that is if you want her to show you a color..... :huh:

What is more dirty?  Dirty shoes or dirty feet?  I think most people (Chinese as well as American) take off their shoes before entering the house.

163363[/snapback]

I prefer not to walk on the floor bare foot, because I can imagine stinky sweat. I can also see peeled-off dead skin. Do I have OCD£¿I would rather my guests put on some cotton socks or wear some slippers, particularly when my baby was at her crawling-on-floor stage.

I understand that different people view things differently. For example, my guest might suspect that the slippers I provided are not clean for their feet or socks. So I usually don't persue the issue.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
I prefer not to walk on the floor bare foot, because I can imagine stinky sweat.  I can also see peeled-off dead skin.  Do I have OCD£¿I mean put on some cotton socks or wear some slippers.

163440[/snapback]

Too funny Joanne..... :D

OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) is considered by many to be over-diagnosed by clinical professionals that are afflicted with real OCD..... :lol:

Wanting to have things be clean is just a good healthy living habit. Not a thing wrong with that.....

Hmmmmm, after rethinking this I wonder---The streets are dirty so they remove their shoes. Well, the air in the world isn't that clean anymore either. Does anyone else think that it's about time we started the 'remove your clothes at the door' policy???  I for one am going to mention this to wifey--sounds like a winner to me---unless of course we have guests in which case we can make it optional unless it's the ex---EWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

163402[/snapback]

We always changed into "house-cloth" at home. Washing hands right after getting in from outside is a must. During SARS, I "made" my husband wash his face after got home, before picking up our baby, wash his hair every night before get in bed.

Guest ShaQuaNew
"Wanting to have things be clean is just a good healthy living habit. Not a thing wrong with that....."

You obviously do not know my ex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

163476[/snapback]

I can empathize with that sentiment as I have a close friend that is most likely OCD with a clean and don't move anything from where I put it fetish.......again, nice that you don't have to share the house with your new partner... :greenblob:

I think most people (Chinese as well as American) take off their shoes before entering the house.

163363[/snapback]

Huh??

Tony, are you saying most Americans take off their shoes ... or did I not understand?

I don't personally know of any Americans who have been here for more than one generation who routinely remove their shoes when entering their home.

163379[/snapback]

Most of my American friends take off their shoes before entering the house. Maybe because we have snow here in winter and the boots/shoes are usually very dirty.

every home I went into in China, always was an expectation that I would remove my shoes..... and I did......