How to change SO's last name to mine

Ok, first my wife is not here yet, but was just wondering. I have searched and most threads I read seemed to be more of a K-1 marriage. I was married in China so we are doing the CR-1. Everything I have filed out thus far has been in her madien name. Do I have any options other then waiting til she is here.

I am trying to get a jump on this because i have heard/read more horror stories then actual info on this. I know each state is different, but am more concerend about her passport and greencard matching.

Chinese passport and American greencard do not have to have the same name. My wife changed her name to mine when we both came back over here. Her greencard says one thing and her passport another, but she has an official paper from INS stating there was a legal name change done through the court system.

Steps we went through.

1. Fill out form and appear in front of judge to change name.

$180 - $200

2. Fill our form for INS with copy of court document.

$100 and something

3. Show court document to Social Security to get new card

Not sure if there was a charge for this or not

4. Change Drivers License

$25 or something

Or you could just wait until she becomes a citizen and possiply forget the court and INS charges for name change, if she is going to become a citizen that is, and if you don't mind waiting 3 - 5 years.

Ok, so can I just leave her passport and greencard as is, Madien name, and get her DL and SSC to say my last name? 

She wants to take my last name.

160504[/snapback]

Since you are CR-1 then you cant change the name on the green card without changing her name legally. It should be a simple matter though to change it for SSN , drivers licence bank accounts etc. Start with the SSN first.

We just got married. We went to the Tucson, AZ court house for the ceremony. The Judge had her sign the record of marriage with her name with my last name, since she would like to take my last name. We got the certificate of marriage right away from the court too... so now I need to fill out lots and lots paper work for INS.