My SO uses Kingsoft translation software on her computer, I use Alta Vista Babelfish, and www.mandarintools.com. She has a Langwen 8388/Yishen 888 (I think) handheld sentence translator, which worked very well for us on my last trip.

I'll be subscribing to the Great Wall package through Dish Network - also check with DirectTV and your local cable company.

To enter your timeline, click on "My Controls" on the front page, and "Enter Signature".

Any more questions? You came to the right place. Welcome.

159646[/snapback]

Hi Randy,

I have been researching Chinese/English translators; I've located the YiShen 888 but haven't been successful with the Langwen 8388. Could you please verify this is the correct spelling?

Thanks!!!

Bill

My SO uses Kingsoft translation software on her computer, I use Alta Vista Babelfish, and www.mandarintools.com. She has a Langwen 8388/Yishen 888 (I think) handheld sentence translator, which worked very well for us on my last trip.

I'll be subscribing to the Great Wall package through Dish Network - also check with DirectTV and your local cable company.

To enter your timeline, click on "My Controls" on the front page, and "Enter Signature".

159646[/snapback]

Hi Randy,

I have been researching Chinese/English translators; I've located the YiShen 888 but haven't been successful with the Langwen 8388. Could you please verify this is the correct spelling?

Thanks!!!

Bill

159751[/snapback]

You found it - it's the Yishen 888 as sold in China. We bought it in a Beijing department store for $100 less than the Yishen 888 is sold for here in the US. She has it, so I can't verify the model number, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

The BIG advantage the both have over other translators is that you enter a whole sentence at once - English, Chinese characters, or pinyin. Well worth the money.

159646[/snapback]

Hi Randy,

Thanks!!!

Bill

159751[/snapback]

You found it - it's the Yishen 888 as sold in China. We bought it in a Beijing department store for $100 less than the Yishen 888 is sold for here in the US. She has it, so I can't verify the model number, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

The BIG advantage the both have over other translators is that you enter a whole sentence at once - English, Chinese characters, or pinyin. Well worth the money.

159753[/snapback]

Hi Randy,

I think I am sold on the YiShen 888, I found a web site that offers the YiShen_888 Chinese-English Electronic Translator and the Franklin B-1100 Chinese-English Dictionary/Translator both for $399.00. You have used this particular translator and it works very well for both you and your SO? Does this sound like a reasonable price?

Todd....

welcome and settle in, you have joined a family here......

thanks for settling.... you don't get to do doritos here.... this is cheetos land...

You people on here are great! I like browsing the posts everyday. It helps reading about everyone's experiences when I'm feeling down or lonley for my Li. I miss her badly and sometimes I think I'm going crazy. haha. She gets upset with me if I worry too much. She wants me to be stronger.

I decided to order the Yishen 888 online for $329. Seems like a fair price. I hope I am able to input english and see pinyin on the screen and not just chinese characters. That will make it easier for me to learn some Chinese I think.

As for the cheetos, I will have to do some more research to figure out what's up with that. haha

You people on here are great!  I like browsing the posts everyday.  It helps reading about everyone's experiences when I'm feeling down or lonley for my Li.  I miss her badly and sometimes I think I'm going crazy.  haha.  She gets upset with me if I worry too much.  She wants me to be stronger.

I decided to order the Yishen 888 online for $329.  Seems like a fair price.  I hope I am able to input english and see pinyin on the screen and not just chinese characters.  That will make it easier for me to learn some Chinese I think.

As for the cheetos, I will have to do some more research to figure out what's up with that.  haha

159787[/snapback]

Hi Todd,

I found the YiShen 888 also for $329 with the Franklin B-1100 Chinese-English Dictionary/Translator for an additional $70 for a total of $399 thru Aim High, Inc. Seems like a great price when I did some comparison shopping. I think I will also give it a try. Good Luck

Bill

You people on here are great!  I like browsing the posts everyday.  It helps reading about everyone's experiences when I'm feeling down or lonley for my Li.  I miss her badly and sometimes I think I'm going crazy.  haha.  She gets upset with me if I worry too much.  She wants me to be stronger.

I decided to order the Yishen 888 online for $329.  Seems like a fair price.  I hope I am able to input english and see pinyin on the screen and not just chinese characters.  That will make it easier for me to learn some Chinese I think.

As for the cheetos, I will have to do some more research to figure out what's up with that.  haha

159787[/snapback]

Yes, you will. The functionality is amazing.

If the SO doesn't speak very good English, does that raise a red flag?

159836[/snapback]

a year ago, it appeared by looking at some interviews that it was an issue of some small measure; this year, I would say, no issue... Not sure if this is a change in focus, changing VOs, or just looking at too little data...

Many over the last few months have SOs who had the interviews in chinese, including mine.

Welcome aboard. Looks like you've got you're bases covered with the possible exception of recognizing the value of a good bag of Cheetos. DirecTV also has Chinese programming, and if you click on the CFL Links at the top of the page, you can navigate to a website that has a selection of Chinese TV on the net.

I used TransWhiz in my earlier days, but Jingwen told me it was harder for her to translate my "Chinese" e-mails than my English e-mails, so I stopped using it. Chinese machine translation is notoriously poor, but it can at least get the point across.

Jingwen's principal language is the local variation of guangdonghua, but her putonghua is good enough for her to understand my butchered pronunciation. Like many people here, during the wait to get the visa, Jingwen and I developed our version of Chinglish.

thanks david and frank. I understand how you may have your own way of communication. I think this is what makes this such a special experience. To fall in love with someone and not have the ability to communicate without the use of electronic handhelds and plenty of body language. Some people don't understand how this is possible. It's all about love.