Pacair range hood

Also they don't extend far enough over the cooktop surface to catch the vapor when cooking on the front burners.

This unit works great, we've had ours for over 2 years now and it helps to keep the kitchen much cleaner.

Buy "Simple Green" by the gallon for cleaning the kitchen, it breaks down the grease better than most and is not a mixture of dangerous chemicals.

Bingo! That was another problem that we had. the two front burners extand 6 inches beyond the exhaust area - bad design. :sleep1:

SIMPLE GREEN - They recommend 1:1 for heavy duty cleaning while we use a 1:10 ratio which will get you going. Your mileage may vary. Costco sells it by the gallon. -_-

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also notice on my visits to China that EVERYBODY uses a splash guard on their stove. While at Loews one day I notice that they also sell them. We don't use it but for those that want to, the can be purchased at your local hardware store.

Also, on one of my visits to China, I took my Chinese Mama some heavy duty aluminum foil... and she taped in up and used it for a disposable splash guard... :sleep1:

p.s. – Do you know or realize how much oil is used in cooking Chinese food with a wok. Now combine that with the odor and you’ll know what I mean. Most of the vent hoods that are sold for Chinese cooking have built in oil traps for the oil that is caught in the fan unit.

This could be a big fire hazard if not taken care of properly. :sleep1: Many kitchen fires have started because of grease in the hood.

If you pay attention to the hoods in a restaurant they have grease trap grates that the smoke has to go by to get out and if I remember right the fan on them is at the outlet to make them quite.

Now of course I could be wrong about the restaurant style hoods........

Edited by Corbin (see edit history)
Guest HAMPSTERW

p.s. ¨C Do you know or realize how much oil is used in cooking Chinese food with a wok. Now combine that with the odor and you¡¯ll know what I mean. Most of the vent hoods that are sold for Chinese cooking have built in oil traps for the oil that is caught in the fan unit.

This could be a big fire hazard if not taken care of properly. :( Many kitchen fires have started because of grease in the hood.

If you pay attention to the hoods in a restaurant they have grease trap grates that the smoke has to go by to get out and if I remember right the fan on them is at the outlet to make them quite.

Now of course I could be wrong about the restaurant style hoods........

you are correct about the restaurant style hoods, the grease is trapped in the grates as it passes by and the fan is usually roof mounted to keep the noise level down. I was a cook at Sizzler as a teen and had the pleasure of cleaning said grates, that is one $hitty job ;)

Just ordered mine today, will ship tomorrow ;)

I can't wait to install it.

Soon, there will be good chinese food at my house !!

Came home the other night and my wife greeted me at the door with a big smile. :D

No not what you are thinking here but it was what she had done. She went on to ask me if I could smell it. I looked at her and said ¡°what?¡±. With that she said ¡°the fish that I cooked tonight¡±. It took e a few seconds and then I sniffed the air and truly I have to say, there was no fish smell in the house. :)

I asked again if she had cooked it inside and she just smiled and said ¡°of course¡± . Now she¡¯s happy and if she¡¯s happy everyone is happy! ;)

Bottom line ¨C well worth the money ¨C (of course she asked me if I was going to save the old fan unit¡­) B)

Came home the other night and my wife greeted me at the door with a big smile. :D

No not what you are thinking here but it was what she had done. She went on to ask me if I could smell it. I looked at her and said ¡°what?¡±. With that she said ¡°the fish that I cooked tonight¡±. It took e a few seconds and then I sniffed the air and truly I have to say, there was no fish smell in the house. :lol:

I asked again if she had cooked it inside and she just smiled and said ¡°of course¡± . Now she¡¯s happy and if she¡¯s happy everyone is happy! ;)

Bottom line ¨C well worth the money ¨C (of course she asked me if I was going to save the old fan unit¡­) :o

Your story is great!

My new hood just arrive today.

I can not wait, so I open it immediately.

It has one bent part, but it will not affect my installation.

I called and they will ship out the new part tomorrow. Meanwhile I begin to tear out the old one.

Ohhh.. I am so hungry for good chinese food. My wife will be happy when she gets here that I have replaced the poor vent, but not as happy as I will be to get good food !

Updates to come .. maybe with pictures, we will see.

....a dinner would be even better! :D

No dinner, cook is still 8,000 miles away, but vent is installed.

It is a little noisier than I expected, but very nice.

Heres link to pictures with captions for the install.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Credzba/KitchenVent02

Nice Job...

If she WAS here she would have had you clear the counter tops 1st...put down some plastic for saw dust and sheet rock, then isolate the kitchen for dust... and then let you do your thing... That's what mine did. :)

I didn't have to vent out as you did but I am guess time wise we spent the same amount since my Pacair would not fit with my existing cabinets. I had to cut the two side panels inside and then remove the wood that had been tiled in. All in all it took me at least 6 hours to complete. Not for the weak of heart or those lacking tools - that's for sure.

Noisy... what do you expect for 760 cfm? Hell, I can stand the noise for a little home Chinese cooking! :o

It will definitely be worth it.! :lol:

• 1 month later...

OK, my turn. I live in a condo. My unit is all on the ground (no upstairs). The kitchen has an under the cabinet microwave with a built in range hood fan that "filters the air" and then blows it out into the kitchen (no vent to the outside). You could say it blows, and it definitely sucks. Hell, I can't even cook simple American meals without setting off all the smoke detectors in my unit, even when I turn on my living room ceiling fan, open the patio door, and some of the windows. Actually, if I'm cooking only with the range, things are ok, but if I open the oven door when I am broiling or baking, the smoke detectors go off. This is not going to work when my girl gets here. But I love my place, and I don't want to move any time soon. And, the microwave is quite good.

Now, fairly close by (maybe 15-20 feet) is the master bath with its ceiling exhaust fan. I wonder if it would be possible to route the exhaust from a range hood to tie into that same duct to vent to the outside. Or, the dryer exhaust is also only about 15 to 20 feet away. Maybe the range hood could be vented to that.

Of course, I would also want to replace my current set up with a combination range hood fan and under the cabinet microwave that vents to the outside in the manner I suggested. What do you think? Are there any outside venting combination under the cabinet microwaves with built in range hoods that could be vented to the outside this way?

First, I would suggest don't do the under hood microwave.

1) If microwave goes out, you have to replace hood and microwave.

2) smaller choice, and thus not as good of equipment either microwave, or hood.

3) My wife will not stand in front of, nor allow anyone else to stand in front of a microwave when it is on. Having one at head level where you must stand to cook would be totally unacceptable.

Second, the bathroom vent, and even the dryer vent are not sufficient for a stove vent (at least not for any worthwhile one).

A bathroom vent pip is often only 2 or 3 inches diameter.

A dryer vent is usually 4 inches diameter.

A stove vent is 6 to 8 inches diameter.

You will have to run your own vent.

Look at the pictures I posted, it really isn't that difficult.

If you are near Austin, I will come help you.

There is 2 choices, one is thru the roof as I did, another is to go through an outside wall.

Perhaps your stove is backing up to an outside wall, then it is a very easy install.

OK, my turn. I live in a condo. My unit is all on the ground (no upstairs). The kitchen has an under the cabinet microwave with a built in range hood fan that "filters the air" and then blows it out into the kitchen (no vent to the outside). You could say it blows, and it definitely sucks. Hell, I can't even cook simple American meals without setting off all the smoke detectors in my unit, even when I turn on my living room ceiling fan, open the patio door, and some of the windows. Actually, if I'm cooking only with the range, things are ok, but if I open the oven door when I am broiling or baking, the smoke detectors go off. This is not going to work when my girl gets here. But I love my place, and I don't want to move any time soon. And, the microwave is quite good.

Now, fairly close by (maybe 15-20 feet) is the master bath with its ceiling exhaust fan. I wonder if it would be possible to route the exhaust from a range hood to tie into that same duct to vent to the outside. Or, the dryer exhaust is also only about 15 to 20 feet away. Maybe the range hood could be vented to that.

Of course, I would also want to replace my current set up with a combination range hood fan and under the cabinet microwave that vents to the outside in the manner I suggested. What do you think? Are there any outside venting combination under the cabinet microwaves with built in range hoods that could be vented to the outside this way?

If you do add it in to some existing vent, you'll be having grease dripping down on the existing vents to the floor.

I suggest it's time for a redo, start from scratch, figure out where to run the venting from the kitchen to the outside, with out any 'tack ons' to existing ventilation systems. Heck - even call in a contractor, see what they think - having a look and making an estimate is ALWAYS FREE.