A note from China

To all my friends at the CFL:

I made it here quite comfortably (luckily upgraded to "business class" -- it's always worth asking) and Zhenshu and I spent a few days traveling in Sichuan Province. There we visited a friend I "met" on the China Forum site, and we had a marvelous time together.

I will be here for a month, so there is plenty of time to get used to each other long-term and really soften the long, long wait for the visa.

We are booked for a flight to Lhasa in a few days. Two weeks in Tibet! It's hard to believe.

Most people generally don't get a chance to do that when they marry a beautiful woman from New Jersey (or West Virginia, for that matter).

Sichuan sure has great food. We just had a wonderful, very spicy large lunch in an beautiful restaurant for only 35 RMB!

I am thinking of the warm folks on the CFL even as I enjoy this wonderful time with Zhenshu.

Wally

Great to hear you are having a good time :ph34r: Enjoy it as much as possible and take plenty of pics. :) I wish I could be there with you so I could enjoy it to.Well good luck and keep us all updated. :)

Live Well,

Dan M :rolleyes:

Remember to take lots of pictures with you and her family and friends.. Get group shots as well..  submit those when you do your initial filing when you get back... this will help alot. and have a great time!

156727[/snapback]

Well, you have a lot of us back here jealous...haha. Have a wonderful time together. You will NOT be the same person when you return. It will takes months to take the smile off your face. :rolleyes: Anyway, again have a wonderful time. Waiting to hear all about your adventures upon your return. Oh, please remember to save all your receipts as well, ie; Airline tickets, boarding passes, if you can, hotel receipts, and maybe restaurant receipts as well. :ph34r:

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Have a great time, you will return with memories of a lifetime....

keep records of all your happenings, and along with everyone elses advice, take plenty of photos... worth a thousand words....

shyaushu,Sep 25 2005, 03:25 AM]

I made it here quite comfortably (luckily upgraded to "business class" -- it's always worth asking) and Zhenshu and I spent a few days traveling in Sichuan Province.  There we visited a friend I "met" on the China Forum site, and we had a marvelous time together.

Lucky guy.... how did you get the upgrade to business class, did it cost extra?

Edited by HanLi (see edit history)
shyaushu,Sep 25 2005, 03:25 AM]

I made it here quite comfortably (luckily upgraded to "business class" -- it's always worth asking) and Zhenshu and I spent a few days traveling in Sichuan Province.?There we visited a friend I "met" on the China Forum site, and we had a marvelous time together.

Lucky guy.... how did you get the upgrade to business class, did it cost extra?

156820[/snapback]

I usually ask if there is any room in Business class when I am at the check in counter. I also do a little "James Bond" thing (speak to the counter person in French when I realize she has a French accent).

At least it worked this time!

They are usually happy to move someone there if there is room and THEY ASK! of course, the difference it makes is astronomical.

I have been taking lots of photos, but not with an eye to our visa. I just like to take photographs.

A date stamp on my camera! Not likely -- it's a 75 year old Leica. But I have some really nice photos of yaks and some very Mongolian-looking women. Tibet should be a glorious place for taking photos.

I don't have the time to share a great deal since Zhenshu and I are in an "Internet cafe" and she's getting antsy, but I can say a word about lunch.

The most gorgeous meal I have every had in a restaurant like a palace. Super spicy pork ribs; a wonderful fried fish dish and vegetables that could turn anyone into a vegetarian.

A meal like that in New York or Washington would cost at least $150, IF you could find it. It was only 95 RMB -- a lot of money here, but $11!!

Rainy day and everyone is scooting around on their motorscooters and bicycles with those neat, form-fitting rain ponchos. The streets look like a swarm of red and green swallows.

More later . . .

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

thanks for the tip... better bone up on my french...

nice post, even if your camera doesn't have a date stamp, if you have them developed and put on a CD, you can add the date later, just keep track of where and when you took the photos.... don't think they will question you on the yaks though....... :whistling:

Dear Friends:

This has all been a lot more than establishing a "track record" for Guangzhou, so the photos and receipts,, while important, are not my focus. Being with Zhenshu for a month is the idea.

And it's been quite a couple of weeks so far.

The thought that we will be in Lhasa tomorrow is almost too much to digest.

I want to share some of my photos with you all on the forum and will have to figure out how to create aone of those albums. I think there are several some of you and your spouses might appreciate.

A lesson from China: courtesy is NOT contagious. at least not here. People are in such a rush! I wonder what for.

Well, time sure flies when you're having a good time, and there is barely a week left to my month here. It has been quite wonderful in everyway.

Zhenshu and I just got back (to Chengdu) from our week in Tibet yesterday. That was quite a place to see and visit. Basically a Mongolian version of Europe in the 15th Century at 16,000 ft. Only the people are probably less desperate and probably a lot friendlier.

We just got our photos developed and there are some truly memorable ones among the trash.

Spending a whole month together (instead of 10 days here, and 10 days there) has shown Zhenshu and I we are welded together and that even the challenges of the Big Change -- living in the US -- will be overcome.

But living in China seems more compelling than ever. What a great place!

Tomorrow we take the slow train to Beijing and then the cruel denoument: the flight back to the US.

This has been an unforgettable experience and it has opened up my eyes to the many choices still left in life. There's more to middle age than playing golf in Ft. Lauderdale (though there's nothing wrong with that).

Maybe our interview letter will be waiting for us back in West Virginia?

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)