Security Checks

Hi,

I was reading another thread here and got the idea to ask this question.

Does anybody know if the security checks are only done on the foreign person OR are security checks also performed on the American sponsor?

If they do check on the American sponsor - what do you know about WHAT THEY LOOK FOR? For example, what would cause problems for a American sponsor? What would be considered bad enough to draw a red flag? What would be bad enough to keep the application from going through at all?

Thanks,

Scott

(m-coon)

Over the years I have read and heard different slants on this. When I met with the head of the Visa unit in Guangzhou back in February 2003, he stated that the checks were only done on the beneficiary. However, several attorneys and board members have said otherwise. So I can't say for sure.

The way I understand it, any arrest would trigger a "hit" during the clearance process, requiring additional processing. A traffic ticket would not create a hit; a crime would.

Don may have more up to date info than I do. Hope what I have said hasn't confused you even more.

You say:

"The way I understand it, any arrest would trigger a "hit" during the clearance process, requiring additional processing. A traffic ticket would not create a hit; a crime would."

I have a criminal record - I have been arrested - But my paperwork seems to be very much on track - no delays that I have seen - KNOCK ON WOOD!!! ha ha My attorney representing me on the visa application - has told me that this should not be an issue....... I still worry! I would like to hear what others know or have experienced.

If there was a security check on me - it would have occured in the US before the papers went to GZ - yes?

This is "kind of" what I am trying to figure out and understand. I certainly hope this is not something that has not been checked yet - and will NOW come up in the processing of the application in GZ?

I would very much like CFL members to speak up on this if they have any knowledge of such!!!

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by m-coon (see edit history)

This link is from the US embassy in Mexico.

----------------------------------

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/mx2/wwwhkvisas.html

"NVC will enter the case into their database, manually enter the country of marriage, and run a security namecheck. When the security check clears, NVC will then scan both sides of the I-129F petition and e-mail the case to post.

If the security namecheck is adverse, NVC will e-mail to post a copy of the "hit sheet" with the scanned petition. Post would then follow-up with the normal fingerprint procedures."

Guest ShaQuaNew
I have a criminal record - I have been arrested - But my paperwork seems to be very much on track - no delays that I have seen - KNOCK ON WOOD!!! ha ha My attorney representing me on the visa application - has told me that this should not be an issue....... I still worry!  Thanks,

Scott

153810[/snapback]

Scott....

I empathize with your concern on this topic. I've learned a lot about this tipic since yesterday....just amazes me that it's not more widely addressed here. Don has been extremely helpful with providing good links and information on the topic.

The "hit" scenario appears to be widely corroborated; appearing on several sites and documents. This very term "hit" is used by the government in it's own documentation.

The government documentation is worded in a fashion so as not to "box" themselves in by using a broad based description, e.g., Consider carefully the wording regarding the wide variety of forms handled by the USCIS. Within each of these documents lies a short explanation as to whom the document applies; maybe a sentence, but no more than a paragraph or two;

You will also find within these instructions "heading identifiers" that are enumerated using alpha characters, e.g., A, B, C, etc. Also realize that you are dealing with "Government" documentation. There is a common rule in the United States regarding the creation, maintenance, and control of any revision level document.

Controlled document revisions never change. They live forever, but, a newer version proceeds it and may take precedence. You will find however that there will generally be more than one revision level of a document that is accepted. Some of these documents are forms. Still a document, but a subsidiary. Consider the USCIS forms. You will always see a statement on the USCIS website forms page specific form that tells ya which revision levels will be accepted for THAT day.

All USCIS docs all make distinction between the "Petitioner" -- (normally the US Citizen) and the "Beneficiary" -- (our Chinese loved one).

For that reason, be aware that NO FBI documents make this distinction. All your Visa-related paperwork is considered a "package." While the FBI knows exactly who you are -- hey punch in an SSN baby, I gots your life history, including skeltons no one knew about.....Yes, they got it, you know they do, but they sure won't acknowledge it. Hell, they won't acknowledge anything.

One of the FBI documents I read today on this Security Check topic -- clearly stated the term "hits" and further went on to explain different ways to get them.

1. Spell same as written

2. Spell backwards

3. Spell forwards

4. Use phonetics

They usually get some sort of a hit, but it's the reviewers discretion as to whether it's significant. Crimes of Moral Terpitude are SIGNIFICANT. If you got one, uh-oh.....No Visa unless you submit another form to establish yourself as being cool, and no risk. File it, and they will consider whether to accept it or not, and they will do it when they damned well please....well, within six months they say...that's their target. They we instructed to make the target smaller because a big target window makes the US look bad to people in other countries that are attempting to immigrate here. Yup, honest....it really says that. I don't know about you, but there is nothing more of a pain in the ass than all this cruel punishment of having to wait to be with our loved one.

So, here's the deal. A hit doesn't mean it's all bad. It just means it goes to those people behind the black doors. They look at ya with experience and expertise and make a decion as to whether you pass or fail security.

I knew it!!!

Our destiny is in the hands of those people behind the black doors!!! :ph34r:

Guest ShaQuaNew
I knew it!!! 

Our destiny is in the hands of those people behind the black doors!!! :ph34r:

153831[/snapback]

Yes, Hank. That's exactly right. While they have guidelines and boundaries as defined on the DOS website and associated links, acceptance and denial boil down to the subjective interpreation / interpolation of the thingie.....

I have a criminal record - I have been arrested - But my paperwork seems to be very much on track - no delays that I have seen - KNOCK ON WOOD!!! ha ha   My attorney representing me on the visa application - has told me that this should not be an issue....... I still worry!  Thanks,

Scott

153810[/snapback]

Scott....

I empathize with your concern on this topic. I've learned a lot about this tipic since yesterday....just amazes me that it's not more widely addressed here. Don has been extremely helpful with providing good links and information on the topic.

The "hit" scenario appears to be widely corroborated; appearing on several sites and documents. This very term "hit" is used by the government in it's own documentation.

The government documentation is worded in a fashion so as not to "box" themselves in by using a broad based description, e.g., Consider carefully the wording regarding the wide variety of forms handled by the USCIS. Within each of these documents lies a short explanation as to whom the document applies; maybe a sentence, but no more than a paragraph or two;

You will also find within these instructions "heading identifiers" that are enumerated using alpha characters, e.g., A, B, C, etc. Also realize that you are dealing with "Government" documentation. There is a common rule in the United States regarding the creation, maintenance, and control of any revision level document.

Controlled document revisions never change. They live forever, but, a newer version proceeds it and may take precedence. You will find however that there will generally be more than one revision level of a document that is accepted. Some of these documents are forms. Still a document, but a subsidiary. Consider the USCIS forms. You will always see a statement on the USCIS website forms page specific form that tells ya which revision levels will be accepted for THAT day.

All USCIS docs all make distinction between the "Petitioner" -- (normally the US Citizen) and the "Beneficiary" -- (our Chinese loved one).

For that reason, be aware that NO FBI documents make this distinction. All your Visa-related paperwork is considered a "package." While the FBI knows exactly who you are -- hey punch in an SSN baby, I gots your life history, including skeltons no one knew about.....Yes, they got it, you know they do, but they sure won't acknowledge it. Hell, they won't acknowledge anything.

One of the FBI documents I read today on this Security Check topic -- clearly stated the term "hits" and further went on to explain different ways to get them.

1. Spell same as written

2. Spell backwards

3. Spell forwards

4. Use phonetics

They usually get some sort of a hit, but it's the reviewers discretion as to whether it's significant. Crimes of Moral Terpitude are SIGNIFICANT. If you got one, uh-oh.....No Visa unless you submit another form to establish yourself as being cool, and no risk. File it, and they will consider whether to accept it or not, and they will do it when they damned well please....well, within six months they say...that's their target. They we instructed to make the target smaller because a big target window makes the US look bad to people in other countries that are attempting to immigrate here. Yup, honest....it really says that. I don't know about you, but there is nothing more of a pain in the ass than all this cruel punishment of having to wait to be with our loved one.

So, here's the deal. A hit doesn't mean it's all bad. It just means it goes to those people behind the black doors. They look at ya with experience and expertise and make a decion as to whether you pass or fail security.

153827[/snapback]

BoY!.......Immigrations sure has come a long ways from the days of just stringing a number around your neck!...........