Airfare to China

I would like to ask for advice or knowledge of fact to this question.

I am intending to travel to Guangzhou for my SO's interview date. A window of possibility has opened for me allowing for the previous decision I made to not attend the interview to change. Will it be necessary to secure round trip airfare for myself? I intend to return to the USA after my SO receives her visa but the return date may be open ended and I intend to purchase my return ticket with her in China. Not knowing the travel complications due to the Chinese holiday in this period, I am not sure what to do.

Any ideas? Please help!

Thank you,

Eric (esun41)

I am intending to travel to Guangzhou for my SO's interview date. A window of possibility has opened for me allowing for the previous decision I made to not attend the interview to change. Will it be necessary to secure round trip airfare for myself? I intend to return to the USA after my SO receives her visa but the return date may be open ended and I intend to purchase my return ticket with her in China. Not knowing the travel complications due to the Chinese holiday in this period, I am not sure what to do.

Any ideas? Please help!

Thank you,

Eric (esun41)

146954[/snapback]

You can buy a one way ticket without any problem. Thats what I have done. I haven't got any hard info, but I would expect getting a ticket to the US shouldn't be a big problem with the holiday, otherwise I may be there a while. :P

Does that mean we're on for a celebration dinner on the 27th. :toot:

Just got this email from United Airlines:

International Fares

Sample fares on United are each way based on required roundtrip purchase by 8/18/05 for European destinations and by 8/22/05 for Asia/Pacific destinations. Fares below are valid for outbound travel through 10/31/05 except through 12/8/05 for Australia and through 11/30/05 for Osaka.*

*Additional taxes, fees and restrictions apply

In case anyone wants to check it out further, contact United Airlines.

Chicago - Hong Kong $491

Chicago - Nagoya $399

Chicago - Osaka $338

Los Angeles - Tokyo $319 

New York City - Bangkok $524

New York City - Singapore $549

Portland, OR - Tokyo $319 **

San Francisco - Beijing $365 

San Francisco - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam $405

San Francisco - Taipei $349

For the fares above, service is provided by United Airlines, except where noted with double asterisk(**). **Portions of this service may be operated by the following carriers doing business as United Express® or as codeshare partners:

(1) All Nippon Airways/Air Nippon

(2) SkyWest®

(3) Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation

Depends upon the season.

I was told by the airline, no problem, you can get a ticket any time.

So I purchased an open ticket for my return flight.

I called immediatly after we received Yan's visa.

"Sorry we have nothing until September 3rd". I called Augusts 3rd.

Big converntion in Hong Kong.

I called several agents with no success, out of Guangzhou or Hong Kong.

E-mailed a friend in California, him and his wife worked 2 days getting me a flight out of Hong Kong.

Cost us $2200 one way through Korean Air.

We were traveling to Alaska. But several airlines now have flights to Alaska.

Still have to fight with the other airline about my return ticket which is good till 1/1/06. ARGH.

Any ideas? Please help!

Thank you,

Eric (esun41)

146954[/snapback]

You can buy a one way ticket without any problem. Thats what I have done. I haven't got any hard info, but I would expect getting a ticket to the US shouldn't be a big problem with the holiday, otherwise I may be there a while. :angry:

Does that mean we're on for a celebration dinner on the 27th. :bangin:

146962[/snapback]

all the details are not complete yet but I am hoping so!

:blink: The few times I checked into it,, the one tickets were as much as the roundtrip.  Has something changed?

147248[/snapback]

I checked Continental on Aug 26 from Houston to Beijing - $618 one-way, over $1000 2-way

But you may not always save by NOT buying a 2-way ticket - check the options - check different websites.