Can We Leave From HK?

Is it possible to fly from HK to the states if your visa is issued in GZ? The reason I ask is because a while back I knew a guy (Canadian) who got his wife (chinese mainland) a visa from the embassy in HK. When they tried to go to Canada from Beijing, his wife was refused boarding the aircraft, being that her visa was issued in HK and there was no way to authenticate the visa in Beijing. They had already bought their tickets and were told it would not be a problem leaving from Beijing.

My wife and I plan to leave from HK. Is there anyone who has had their visa issued in GZ and left from HK? I don't want to come across the same situation as that Canadian guy.

Please help! Thnx guys! :lol:

Unless the rules have changed, all that is required for a departure from Hong Kong by a mainland resident is the US visa and a plane ticket showing a departure from Hong Kong within 7 days. You would not need any special visa to enter Hong Kong.

Jingwen, the kids, and I departed from Hong Kong this way without any difficulty. My only concern was whether the lack of a paper ticket would be a problem. I avoided the issue by popping a few extra bucks for paper tickets.

I've used e-tickets before and had no problem checking in at GZ and having my bag tagged for my SQ2 flight.

Since you check in before going through Boarder Control you will have your baggage tag showing you are only transiting HK.

The Singapore desk at the HK transfer station is well manned; no waiting.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

I read your original post and understand it to mean you will make a land crossing into HK. My wife & I left from Macau. The visa for a chinese citizen to enter Macau is the same as for Hong Kong. It is a separate passport (dark blue) that is very similar to the red international one. There were a couple minor difficulties at the airport, but I think that was because Macau is so small, maybe they had never seen a K1 visa before. Hong Kong gets so much traffic that this shouldn't be a problem for you.

One thing, though. We were stopped at the border into Macau and forced to pay the Visa fee (100 HKD) even though she had a US visa and a plane ticket.