delay interview

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are moving steadily forward through the CR1 process. Based upon when GZ received our paperwork we anticipate an interview this year...perhaps in November. A slight problem has come up though. My wife needs some surgery. Maybe more than one operation.The problem is that she may not be able to travel for a November interview. Has anyone had the experience in asking for a delay in the interview date? Could you tell me how it was done and how far back you pushed your interview. We hate the idea of asking for a delay and then having them push it back another 6 months or so. Thanks for any information you can provide. Jay

I think you will be Blazing a New Trail there Jay :blink:

144819[/snapback]

:ph34r: well, you can delay like a month or two but I strongly suggest not to because you will need to wait for another long period of time before the great GUZ rescheduled your appointment again.

I would start by email GUZ and see what they say... Ask if you can pick a specific delay or range for the delay (ie: 8-10 weeks later).

Will you be traveling to visit her prior to this ? Can you attend the American Citizen Hour and ask the question?

(Maybe the next people attending the ACH would be willing to ask this question--I always thought we should have a way of getting questions to those going to ACH to ask questions).

When I went to the American Citizen service hour in April, the question was asked, what if you could not make the interview.

The person there answered that they strongly suggested that you do everything possible to make the interview date. They said that if you could not make it, then you would be put at the end of the waiting list. So it could mean waiting another 3-6 months for the next interview slot.

Now with the new place opening up, that timeframe could become much shorter, or they could become more flexible in dealing with hardship cases.

Yes, you can delay the interview. The comments above suggest how to do it.

I point out that your wife's visa once issued is good for 6 months to use to go to the US. That six months plus the 2 to 3 months she is now waiting for the interview maybe be enough to have her surgery done and recovery time without postponing the intervew date. It is another option for you.

BTW, once an immigrant visa is issued and the holder decides s/he can't go in the validity period, the visa can be extended WITHOUT a new interview, but a new visa fee has to be paid and maybe a new medical report and/or police report would be required.

Jay, check the timeline that GUZ will give you on probability of your interview date.... maybe your wife's surgery and her recovery will be completed prior to the scheduled interview ... something to consider!! good luck!