Boat cruise on the Pearl River

jimglot

Lastnight we went on one of the many boat tours of the Pearl. We took the dinner crusie which cost 100 rmb per person. It is a great way to get a feel of just how massive Gz is. The food was only so-so but the view was fantastic. The one we took was about 2 hours.

One word of cautions. The thiefs are pretty thick around the boat areas. We were warned of this and i could "Feel" them. Several times i had to swat some little fingers away. Keep you head on a swivel. I think the best rule of thumb is "if you feel uncomfortable, there is good reason" So enjoy but be smart..

Regards from Gz,

Jim

Good advice Jim,

I've found that any area you are told that thiefs and pickpockets are bad, you can bet your ass they are. When I was a kid, my father who traveled Asia extensively, always warned me of pickpockets. Of course it went in one ear and out the other. But in China it kinda reminds me of fishin. You feel that tug, and you know you are about to get a bite.

And it sounds like a nice boat ride. I love the dinner trips.

I took one of those 2 hour excursions also Jim, you are right, the views are great.... luckily I didn't experience any near-misses....

I always keep my money in my front pocket anyway......

When do you start your job in Shanghai?

The other hazard at the boat landings are the little kids "selling" flowers. They will clamp onto whatever part of you they can and it will take a crowbar to get them off. Luckily a cop came along and rescued me but not before my shirt got mangled... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have to agree, the dinner boats on the Pearl River are one of the very best experiences in GZ!

I traveled to GZ for years, and stayed in the White Swan (highly recommended), and watched the boats from my room, but never put two and two together...

...took my Fei, to push me into it --- just before coming to America.

Her parents came to see her off, and we booked a dinner cruise... Her Father, a former PLA officer was stationed in GZ in the 1950's, and saw from the river many old buildings he remembered, but had not seen since. Many of the old buildings are lighted, so it was easy for him to pick them out...

Also, the food on our cruise was pretty good!

It is a must see and do when there, worth every yuan