Interactive ESL site on CFL???

My wife recently became a candle member because she thinks she can learn to read ad write English easier if she just does it. We've been talking about trying to put together a candle forum-mostly for the Chinese SO's to help them learn to read, write, and speak English. Of course we would need to stay away from it most of the time. I'm thinking a couple of Mods who speak and write Chinese and English. My wife doesn't know how to put Chinese Characters through the keyboard but she would certainly benefit from writing and reading English and having people tell her the meaning of words even if they have to translate in Chinese.

Several of the 'old timers' (those with their SO's in the states) have been looking for new ways to help their Wives learn English. This looks like a great opportunity to not only teach them English without needing to drive them someplace or spend money but also to get them involved in Candle and in meeting other Chinese.

whatch'all think??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually ....

not sure why we shouldn't be here frequently. My lao po writes very sweet short e-mails in English and I reply ... sentence by sentence ... as to how an American might write this thought. She's getting better. Some are now "that's how I would say it!"

Chinese ladies are very practical. Maybe some gentle correction in the proposed channel would be helpful.

Thoughts???

I think it is a super idea!! Don, turn loose the forum hounds!! Make it happen and see what happens.......

Wasn't there talk about this earlier today? Boy you guys sure can move when the moof hits you.

This is a great idea. As an ESL teacher for several years, I can tell you the less Chinese language help the better. That is the teaching theory of ESL as opposed to Bilingual Education that mixes first and second languages. In my experience with both ESL works at least twice as fast for learning language. The idea is that as children we learn from mimicing not translating. Once a person stops seeing a translation dictionary or black board in their head and can think in the second language they have learned the language. The biggest success sign is when you dream in the new language.

Perhaps the Chinese forum is useful as a language class but I would think a neutral zone just for ESL titled in Chinese first/ESL would be less likely to confuse the purpose. Posts can be left asking for help and members can help using quote and a correction or an explanation. More than one would be helpful as different ways to say the same thing are possible. Also some ways may be understood easier by the SO.

The reason for explaining words and usage in English rather than Chinese is that it helps implant the usage and language. I used Longman's English Dictionary in classes and strongly recommend it. It uses limited vocabulary in the definitions and is designed for ESL students. I use it myself. If the level of English is minimal Longman has a picture dictionary that teaches basic vocabulary for many types of activities.

However this is done I hope it is well used and furthers the value of CFL as a long term support tool.