Customs....

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Is anyone familiar with the tax fee schedule for items that we bring back to the US from China, and any special restrictions.

I think we can bring back around $800.00 in items duty free, after which we must pay a fee....

Any help is appreciated.....

:)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/press_...on_increase.xml

Traveler's Standard Duty-Free Exemption Will Increase to $800 on November 4

(Tuesday, October 15, 2002)

contacts for this press release

Washington - U.S. Customs Commissioner Robert C. Bonner today announced that starting November 4, 2002, the standard personal exemption-the total value of merchandise travelers may bring back to the United States without having to pay duty will increase from $400 to $800. The increase was contained in the Trade Act of 2002, which became law on August 6, 2002. All other personal exemption rates remain unchanged.

The duty-free exemption applies if:

* The items are for your personal or household use.

* They are in your possession when you return to the United States. Items to be sent later may not be included in your $800 duty-free exemption.

* The items are declared to Customs. If you do not declare all items that you obtained during your trip, you risk forfeiting them.

* You are returning from an overseas stay of at least 48 hours.

* You have not used your exemption, or any part of it, in the past 30 days. If you use part of your exemption you must wait another 30 days before you are allowed another $800 exemption.

* The items are not prohibited or restricted.

Family members who live in the same home and return together to the United States may combine their standard personal exemptions. Children and infants are allowed the same exemption as adults, except for alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

Only 1 liter of alcohol and 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars may be included in this exemption.

Items purchased in "Duty Free" shops are subject to duty if the value of your total purchases exceeds $800.

For more information on duty-free exemptions, please read Customs "Know Before You Go" brochure. This publication is also available on the U. S. Customs Service Web site.

My thing is, does any one have experience bring back old movies, dvd. I got about 40 of them that I already watched and plan to give to my son to bring back and watch. They cost 6 yuan per movie, so there if no problem with value, but may have titles that are still showing in theatres in the U.S. Does any one know if the customs check them and if there is any penalties? The boy may also have bought quite a few video games and music cds at 5 yuan per piece.

My thing is, does any one have experience bring back old movies, dvd.  I got about 40 of them that I already watched and plan to give to my son to bring back and watch.  They cost 6 yuan per movie, so there if no problem with value, but may have titles that are still showing in theatres in the U.S. Does any one know if the customs check them and if there is any penalties?  The boy may also have bought quite a few video games and music cds at 5 yuan per piece.

140613[/snapback]

I have an Asian collection of movies going in the 100s.. and I brought back so many from my last trip... no issue.

Tony: I'm not an expert on this, but I did bring back a dozen DVD's in my luggage without a problem (no one ever looked into my bag other than the X ray at the airport). I think that if they are for your own personal use, it should not be a problem. If you brought 100 of the same title, then it could be inferred that you intended to sell and profit from them.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The US Customs site is very similar to the USCIGs, I'm not sure who the winner on hiding information in plain sight. :P

The basics as a USC or LPR you have an $800 exemption and the next $1000 of items enter on a flat rate duty of 3%. So if you brought back $1800 worth of personal goods the duty would be $30. Determining Duty. For a married couple the totals can be combinded giving you a $1600 total duty free allowance.

All others are treated as vistors for customs purposes and have a $100 duty free allowance, didn't find the fee's for visitors or immigrants.

The Custom and Border Protection website offers a good brochure Know Before You Go that covers many of the details.

I brought 180 plus DVD's when my wife came to the US. This was her DVD collection. We had absolutely no problems. We were even spot checked by customs. They were more concerned about food articles coming into the US. We breezed right through. The college student from Japan in front of us got fined $200 for having some king of agricultural item. She tried to fake she didn't speak English. The customs agent told his superior, he was fairly sure she understood the question. You get a chance to say you have something, allowed to dispose of it or you are fined if they find something.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I brought 180 plus DVD's when my wife came to the US. This was her DVD collection. We had absolutely no problems.

140670[/snapback]

Thanks for all the great feedback......

...but, I'm amazed. My last trip I had four software CDs and the Customs Agents were threatening to confiscate them. They also went thru each and every item in my luggage.

Has anyone else ever had a problem with CD's or DVD's like this?

Guest ShaQuaNew
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/enter...onres.htm#books

"Books, Video Tapes, Computer Programs & Cassettes

Pirated copies of copyrighted articles -- that is, unlawfully made reproductions; articles produced without the copyright owner's authorization--are prohibited from importation into the United States. Pirated copies will be seized and destroyed."

140747[/snapback]

Of course, yes.....all CDs, DVDs, etc of American artists and software in China are pirated....or virtually all. Which is why I'm surprised that others are not expressing having a problem....

I brought 180 plus DVD's when my wife came to the US. This was her DVD collection. We had absolutely no problems.

140670[/snapback]

Thanks for all the great feedback......

...but, I'm amazed. My last trip I had four software CDs and the Customs Agents were threatening to confiscate them. They also went thru each and every item in my luggage.

Has anyone else ever had a problem with CD's or DVD's like this?

140733[/snapback]

Never had any problems concerning CD's or DVD's.

Only a couple of times did I run into a snag with airport customs and security. One time was leaving GZ when my carry-on was searched. The young lady officer was particularly interested in a couple of containers of some really good tea I had. One of the containers was already opened and she seen it was just tea. She tried to open the unopen one but after she couldn't open it, she gave up, threw it back in my bag and hurried me along. That was the one that was really, really good tea!... :o

When I came back from China in March, I had about 25 DVD's... the guy in front of me had his confiscated on the spot and a nice lecture that went with it. They didn't check me, though I know I was sweating!!

The two times I got back from China, they searched all my bags at Vancouver Airport. I went to this private room and they opened everything. I had over 100 DVDs/CDs but they were 95% Chinese. They were interested in American DVDs/CDs. So I had no problem. However, the experience at that private room is no fun. I had to repack everything.

Guest ShaQuaNew
The two times I got back from China, they searched all my bags at Vancouver Airport.  I went to this private room and they opened everything.  I had over 100 DVDs/CDs but they were 95% Chinese.  They were interested in American DVDs/CDs.  So I had no problem.  However, the experience at that private room is no fun.  I had to repack everything.

140803[/snapback]

My last time through a large group was allowed to pass through without a search, just the metal detectors. When they got to me, they stopped the line, and motioned me over to another area where two big dudes had me lay out my bags for inspection. They asked if I had anything to declare, and I stated I had a large ziplock bag of loose green tea. I went on to say that it wasn't "all the tea in China" but only a small part of it. I didn't even get a smirk, smile, or grin.....very serious......

Well, pretty clear is that those wanting to bring back unauthorized reproductions are taking a chance....

On both of my trips back from China, I had about 40 dvds with me.. 60% american releases... I declared them on the customs form.. Never questioned or stopped... I wouldnt worry about it, but if you are then mail them back to your son... One more thing. you have a 800 limit, your So would only have a 200 limit since shes not an american citizen.

Edited by Steve and Qingqing (see edit history)