RMB now 8.11/ $1

????

from oanda.com

FXConverter - 164 Currency Converter Results

Thursday, July 21, 2005

1 US Dollar = 8.28650 Chinese Yuan Renminbi

1 Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY) = 0.12068 US Dollar (USD)

Median price = 8.26650 / 8.28650 (bid/ask)

Minimum price = 8.26650 / 8.28650

Maximum price = 8.26650 / 8.28650

Rate for previous day

Print Travelers' Currency CheatSheet for US Dollar and Chinese Yuan Renminbi.

Print Friendly Conversion Results

Understanding the results

Add a currency converter to your Web site today.

Get exchange rates with amount:

????

from oanda.com

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Rate for previous day

139019[/snapback]

I gues it'll show up tomorrow - it was effective as of 7PM China tine.

Guest ShaQuaNew
????

from oanda.com

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Rate for previous day

139019[/snapback]

I gues it'll show up tomorrow - it was effective as of 7PM China tine.

139021[/snapback]

A couple more articles. Hmmm, I'm going to China Friday....

Fox Story

CNN Money

"This is a fig leaf. It's an attempt by the Chinese to do the least amount possible," said Morici, who estimated that the yuan is about 40 percent undervalued because of the trading restrictions.

"Even a pace of 10 percent change a year will get us there too slowly," he said. "(With this change)China will continue to have very large trade surpluses and cause damage to industries that compete with Chinese companies."

For a look at some of the implications of a revalued yuan, click....see main article....

That's the consensus...doesn't look like much will be happening anytime soon....

Edited by fitnlivly (see edit history)

No question that this is a very small move to keep China's trading partners happy, "See we're doing something". A big move would harm the Chinese economy in a big way and no one could predict the eventual fallout there and worldwide... :huh:

When Japan moved its currency from the long pegged 360 :1 it jumped 30% overnight. I had urged my father to change his dollars to Yen a few days before. He wouldn't believe it. Oh well many opportunities come and go. The Chinese government is much more in control and seems to be making every effort to avoid past mistakes of other governments by controlled change. They have avoided the pitfalls faced so far by the Shah's Iran, Soviet Union and now Japan. Seems they are walking that tight rope well but they have far to go to the other end.

The yuan was revalued after months of political pressure, but the small change is far less than what the U.S. wanted. Are bigger changes coming, or is this just a 'gesture'?

By Kim Khan

China took what is regarded as in important first step in revaluing its currency today, shifting its peg of the yuan away from the U.S. dollar to a basket of currencies.

The move will be welcomed by countries that argue China's defense of its currency to keep it artificially weak gives the country an unfair advantage in trade. But the immediate impact on global economies is expected to be limited.

"It was going to happen at some point. They have introduced a very modest appreciation to kick the whole thing off," Ian Gunner, head of foreign exchange research at Mellon Financial Corporation, told the Associated Press.

"The market is now going to be interested in how much further there is to go. There could be another adjustment in a few months but I do not think they will want to get into a timetable here."

China uncoupled the yuan from the dollar and will let it float in a narrow band against a basket of foreign currencies (of which the U.S. dollar is likely to be one). The move revalues the yuan by 2.1% against the U.S. dollar, moving it to 8.11 yuan per dollar from 8.28.

This will affect our SOs and those of us that send support money to them..... but let us see how it shakes out!!!

It is a pretty small change for us. but if it continues to devalue it can hurt American businesses that import a lot of Chinese goods. I am also a little anxious to see how if affects inflation.

It's good news for those of us whose SOs are still in China with assests to liquidate. However, as Roger mentioned it's bad news for holding off buying our retirement home in China.

Greenspan and other Treasury folks would like the rate to settle down to around 4:1!. I can't see Beijing allowing any swift movement as the inflationary impact on the Chinese people would be terrible.

I'm about to go out for milk and bread. I'll let you know. Fortunately I converted dollars to yuan last month. I think they were ready to revalue then, but too many countries were asking them to.

139183[/snapback]

It will be interesting to know if it has any impact locally for you!!! Let us know!