Living in China

very interesting information, but not any hard facts.... anyone consider Canada???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - interesting point. At some point after retiring to China with her as a Chinese citizen, would her green card be revoked?

Seems like I saw a post somewhere about someone who made trips to the US on a regular basis in order to maintain the green card.

138473[/snapback]

This is what I'm thinking would be necessary. The day will come when we are too old to make the trip as often, so I figure by that time we'll just have to stay. My SO says she doesn't want to be a USC. But then again, she's never been to the States. All plans are subject to change without prior notice. ;)

This dual citizenship thing is confusing. Sounds like China might not recognise the US citizenship, particurlarly of some children.

From the State Deptartment

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/region...ional_1173.html

Dual Nationality

China does not recognize dual nationality. If you are a citizen of both China and the U.S., you may experience difficulty entering and departing China on your U.S. passports. In some cases, U.S. passports have been seized by Chinese authorities. Dual nationals may be subject to Chinese laws which impose special obligations. Such persons are often required to use Chinese documentation to enter China.

The United States requires that all U.S. citizens enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports. Dual nationals who enter and depart China using a U.S. passport and a valid PRC visa retain the right of U.S. consular access and protection under the U.S.-PRC Consular Convention. The ability of the U.S. Embassy or consulates general to provide normal consular services would be extremely limited should a dual national enter China on a Chinese or other passport.

China does not recognize the U.S. citizenship of children born in China, when one of the parents is a PRC national. Such children are required to depart China on PRC travel documents. Children born in the United States to PRC national parents, who are neither lawful permanent residents nor U.S. citizens, are not recognized as U.S. citizens under Chinese nationality law. Although Chinese consulates have frequently issued visas to such individuals in error, they are treated solely as PRC nationals by Chinese authorities when in China.

Before traveling to China, dual nationals should contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services at (202) 647-6769 or the U.S. Embassy in Beijing (see address at end of this booklet) for additional information.

2- A US green card holder who is outside the US for a year or more needs to have a reentry permit (not AP). without it, USCIS may determine the permanent resident status has been abandoned.

138584[/snapback]

We talked over the citizenship problem and decided it would be best if Luli remains a citizen of China and a permanent resident of the US. That would allow us to live in China without as many visa problems. But it appears she would have to return to the US every year to keep her green card valid??? :)

2- A US green card holder who is outside the US for a year or more needs to have a reentry permit (not AP). without it, USCIS may determine the permanent resident status has been abandoned.

138584[/snapback]

We talked over the citizenship problem and decided it would be best if Luli remains a citizen of China and a permanent resident of the US. That would allow us to live in China without as many visa problems. But it appears she would have to return to the US every year to keep her green card valid??? :ph34r:

140374[/snapback]

An interesting reversal... I am sure you did not have to barter the beard at all as part of this, right?

This 'catch' is what I think has most of us concered about...

138584[/snapback]

We talked over the citizenship problem and decided it would be best if Luli remains a citizen of China and a permanent resident of the US. That would allow us to live in China without as many visa problems. But it appears she would have to return to the US every year to keep her green card valid??? :unsure:

140374[/snapback]

An interesting reversal... I am sure you did not have to barter the beard at all as part of this, right?

140403[/snapback]

Not to worry... :o The beard lives... :lol:

China's new permanent residency law allows issuance of a 10 year green card for an alien moving to China to reside with family... :)

Best thing, keep U.S. citizenship, just in case. There is very little chance of a war between China and Taiwan. I would venture to say zero chance. There are just too many Taiwanese in China investing and working. Should Taiwan declare independance the government would be voted out of office, or there could well be a chance that the Taiwan military will take over. It is still, and will be controlled by nationalists who don't want a civil war. The best result is that Taiwanese and mainlanders, as well as Hong Kong and Macao will elect a new government together.

Guest DragonFlower

Hmm,my opinion.If you wish to travel together around the world,the US Passport is very important.If you are a USC and your spouse is a PRCC

,the risk of being seperated far,far from home is real.The US and China have different deals and different alignments with countries all over the world.If you cross a lot of borders,you leave yourself open to discover the differences.

Things are changing every day in China(look at the Chinese green card situation,look at the property law changes).Perhaps China will start recognizing dual citizenship.

Many here who talked about retiring to China have mentioned the favorable exchange rates.This may become a thing of the past,with China adopting a more reasonable monetary stance.

All things to consider.Luckily ,becomeing a USC takes some time.Probably ,when the time comes,your SO will have clearer veiw of how they want live.And much more information about their choice.

long

You are fine both as USCs- you can even get permanent visas now for some foreigners- I remember in Shanghai while I lived there they had something on the news about that for foreigners who live in China all the time. Until then many people had to go to Hong Kong every six months or every year. But especially if you live in Shenzhen or Guangdong this is no big deal- you can get a six-month multiple entry visa in Hong Kong very easily.

The new (2004) regs on "Alien Permanent Residence Permit" allow for, "people who come to China to be with family, such as husband and wife, minors dependent on their parents, and senior citizens dependent on their relatives." This wouldn't seem to help much if both spouses are USC. However the "such as" looks like wiggle room for local officials to make these decisions on a case by case basis. So a wad of 100 RMB notes may help your case considerably... :ph34r: :ph34r:

138584[/snapback]

We talked over the citizenship problem and decided it would be best if Luli remains a citizen of China and a permanent resident of the US. That would allow us to live in China without as many visa problems. But it appears she would have to return to the US every year to keep her green card valid??? :ph34r:

140374[/snapback]

140403[/snapback]

Not to worry... :o The beard lives... :P

China's new permanent residency law allows issuance of a 10 year green card for an alien moving to China to reside with family... :)

140405[/snapback]

Would it be possible for me to reverse myself again without falling into a flip-flop-flap... :ph34r: After reading about the implications for SS benefits to a non-USC widow in China on the other thread I have now definitely decided that... :blink: ;) :o :ph34r: ...I'm not sure. And that's final...for now... ;)

Would it be possible for me to reverse myself again without falling into a flip-flop-flap... :ph34r: After reading about the implications for SS benefits to a non-USC widow in China on the other thread I have now definitely decided that... :blink:  :huh:  :o  :stupid: ...I'm not sure. And that's final...for now... :lol:

140739[/snapback]

I thought of asking you if you were changing sides again... what will she say now to you? :o

• 2 weeks later...