What's the coolest place to visit in China?

Depends on when you go. My first trip to China was to Beijing in the dead of winter, but I never felt warmer in my entire life. It was so colorful, vibrant (new year), Plus, I had a blast riding the 'bicycles' across the frozen lake @ BeiHai Park, doing "donuts" with Wei on the back end.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anywhere you go, do your self a favor and avoid the holidays like the plague!!! Chengdu, Guilin, Lijiang, Sanya, all great, ya gotta go to Beijing....Great Wall, Forbidden City. etc, but if you want to go somewhere you will never forget, take the good advice from Sawadee.......Tibet. And if you can swing a multi-entry, go to Nepal while your there. The rebels don't mess with tourists.....often. :D

Yangshuo was cool I thought. I have never been to Lijiang but I really want to go there. Xi'an was okay- the terra cotta soldiers were good and there is some other stuff of interest. I also really want to go to Xinjiang. I have been to Beijing and the Great Wall- which is cool. Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Suzhou- all okay. Hangzhou is probably the best of those for vacation but the temples and etc. around there are all a rip-off.

Anywhere you go, do your self a favor and avoid the holidays like the plague!!!

134991[/snapback]

I've been to china twice. The first time during National Day week. The second was across New Years.

I actually preferred seeing the country awash with people traveling and in a very excited mood, etc. New Years was deafening mayhem and a smile on every face.. every man turns into a boy. It was great fun to be there during that time.

You just have to be willing to put with the extra wait and crowding, etc.

134991[/snapback]

I've been to china twice. The first time during National Day week. The second was across New Years.

I actually preferred seeing the country awash with people traveling and in a very excited mood, etc. New Years was deafening mayhem and a smile on every face.. every man turns into a boy. It was great fun to be there during that time.

135107[/snapback]

people might be excited, but definitely too excited when they are on the trains!

i visited edith over the may holliday this year, and we had to take a train from wuhan to guangzhou... my gosh!! it was unbelievable. i have never, and will never see a more packed train than that.

we entered the car at the wrong end, and we literally walked over people to get to the other end... it took us a good 30 minutes just to move from one end of the car to the other!!

not only was it packed, but when it gets that packed i guess people's moods get "packed" too. a fight broke out among the passengers and the food service people (who stupidly tried to push their cart through the train...) .... 3 or more people were hurt, and blood was shed... two women especially got hurt...

it was a tough ride.

well, as for place to visit...

the only real scenic place i have been to is hainan. really a beautiful place. i'd highly recommend it.

one question...

where is that place that is the setting of the last scene of crouching tiger hidden dragon? ... the place where the city and road is kind of built right into the cliffs? always wondered....

I was just wondering .  What is the absolute coolest place to visit in China?  Any thoughts from you guys that have spent a lot of time in China?  Anybody that has been there only once? :D

134182[/snapback]

Try a taxi ride in shanghai........ not to be missed...

I liked Hangzhou also, the trip across West Lake in one of boats was great. Hainan was like a tropical paradise....

I can only speak of where I've been. Shanghai was cool, I liked it, but it was really just like NYC, Bejing was really cool, many places to see. ZhinZhou( I think that is the right name), it was just very crowded.

The coolest place I went to was Shaolin. Very beautiful mountain ranges and this is the place where there are many Kung Fu schools. It was really cool to see all these young men there training, I understand since they are young boys until they are adults. I understand Jet Li made his 1st movie here... also it helped me understand the Bruce Lee movies from when I was a kid.

Tibet

134561[/snapback]

Sawadee, My wife and her friends are all physced about going there. What's up with Tibet??? (besides dolly's and Lama's...???) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked visiting the Great Wall at Badaling and always love Shanghai, especially at night. Been to Harbin, nice place to visit wouldn't want to live there. HK is just too damn hot, but so are the babes. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Have you been to Dandong? I was thinking of going there. Of course as an American I wouldn't risk walking across the bridge that ends in DPRK. A Chinese friend had a picture of himself taken leaning over into DPRK :ph34r: I almost ended up there by accident. The planes to North Korea leave from the Domestic terminal at Shenyang. I was waiting at the gate for my departure but they changed the gate. I got suspicious when I heard everyone around me speaking Korean and Japanese. No Chinese seemed strange. THen I overheard two older women speaking Japanese talking about going to visit relatives and this was their first time back since childhood. :ph34r: Luckily I didn't board. From the local terminal they flew into 3 DPRK cities.

Tibet---- 'the Rooftop of the World'

(QUOTE)For travellers, Tibet is without doubt one of the most remarkable places to visit in Asia. It offers fabulous monastery sights, breathtaking high-altitude treks, stunning views of the world's highest mountains and one of the most likeable peoples you will ever meet.(UNQUOTE)

134991[/snapback]

135107[/snapback]

people might be excited, but definitely too excited when they are on the trains!

i visited edith over the may holliday this year, and we had to take a train from wuhan to guangzhou... my gosh!! it was unbelievable. i have never, and will never see a more packed train than that.

we entered the car at the wrong end, and we literally walked over people to get to the other end... it took us a good 30 minutes just to move from one end of the car to the other!!

not only was it packed, but when it gets that packed i guess people's moods get "packed" too. a fight broke out among the passengers and the food service people (who stupidly tried to push their cart through the train...) .... 3 or more people were hurt, and blood was shed... two women especially got hurt...

it was a tough ride.

135118[/snapback]

At New Years, on one train ride, someone died... It doesn't get any more intense than that ! :blink: