You Can Take The Girl Out Of China...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here ever had ox tails? It's not a chinese dish, but I'm sure the chinese can make them good... but it is a jamaican dish. People usually make a face here when I mention them, but there are not many things better to eat. everyone should try ox-tails at least once. the most tender beef you can eat. honestly!

Has anyone here ever had ox tails?  It's not a chinese dish, but I'm sure the chinese can make them good... but it is a jamaican dish. People usually make a face here when I mention them, but there are not many things better to eat. everyone should try ox-tails at least once. the most tender beef you can eat. honestly!

134370[/snapback]

my ex wife used to make ox tail soup very good. Knee bone soup was also very good. :rolleyes:

Actually Ox Tail Soup is very popular in Hong Kong and is served in many of the L.A. area modern style Chinese Cafes. If it has bone in it Chinese use it.

Ox tongue curry is another popular dish along with Wok fried steak. These are more Taiwan & Singapore styles. No longer eat beef but I use to enjoy those. Much of the cooking is also seasonal. Pho is most popular in Vietnam for summer. Zaru Soba in Japan is cold noodles for summer. What dishes can someone name for the summer season?

By way of update, last night I got up to get some water and found Li, sitting contentedly at the kitchen table, gnawing on what was left of the duck's feet. Yum Yum!

As for goat's feet, never had that pleasure. Ox tail ain't too bad. Ate donkey in China, but never had a dog or a cat. Down here in Tennessee, pigs feet are common.

In fact, one of the main events in the Redneck Olympics (I am not making this up), going on right now somewhere in Georgia, is bobbing for pigs feet.

I kid you not! :blink: :D :huh:

Never had Donkey but I use to eat horse meat often when living in New Jersey. It made much better burgers than beef.

Bobbing for pig's feet sounds too easy unless they are very large hogs. Round apples would be harder I think.

The Vietnamese BBQs in Westminster, CA make the best roast pig skin on now there is good eating for the young and cholesterol free.

Ate donkey in China, but never had a dog or a cat.

Next time I am back in China I definitely want to try dog hot pot. Saw it offered in Yangshuo... :huh: Please don't beat me about the head and shoulders pet lovers... :blink: My SO tells me that everyone is quite clear on the difference between a pet and dinner in China... :D

Right a pet you care for and treat as a companion, dinner is anything ending up on the plate :D Of course to a farmer a pet is the raising stage and dinner is the eating stage.

I recommend Dog BBQ much better than the soup. Although if you have it in spicy hot pot not the mild it might be better.

Ate donkey in China, but never had a dog or a cat.

Next time I am back in China I definitely want to try dog hot pot. Saw it offered in Yangshuo... :o Please don't beat me about the head and shoulders pet lovers... :angry: My SO tells me that everyone is quite clear on the difference between a pet and dinner in China... :unsure:

134417[/snapback]

Down in Shantou where we lived, every December many of my students would make a point to go to a restaurant and have dog hot pot. I was often invited but never ate it. I hear, however, that it is quite tasty. Actually, I was never a big hot pot fan. Most of the stuff they put in there tasted like rubber. In fact, bull stomach, a favorite item, actually looked like someone cut up a volley ball. :shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

Please don't beat me about the head and shoulders pet lovers...  My SO tells me that everyone is quite clear on the difference between a pet and dinner in China... :unsure:

134417[/snapback]

The difference is the wok it was cooked it. :shutup:

I can't understand how we can 'pig' out (sorry, that was unavoidable :shutup: ) on all manner of animal and then suggest others are off limits. In NY, even a tiger or alligator can be found in an apartment as a pet! :shutup:

How could Bull Stomach be rubbery? The term for that is tripe. Along with the feet the tripe is used in menudo. It is also used in many ethnic foods. In the U.K. it is baked others broil or boil. Since bovines have three parts to the stomach there are three types of tripe. First is thin and flat which is regular tripe, next honeycomb (the most expensive in the U.S. and third is book or bible tripe because it looks like the pages in a bound book.

What I can't resist is nyujian (beef tendon). Northern style Beef Tendon Noodle is fantastic. Luckily I know this little place that makes that and spicy beef tendon. Vietnamese Pho also comes with tendon but I don't like the beef broth flavor.

Haven't tried goat feet although the shank is very good stewed. Cows feet are an ingredient of menudo which is common here. Pickled pig's feet has always been a staple item in American bars. They are sold wholesale in large jars that are then left right on the bar..

134173[/snapback]

Try Brazil, they have many goat dishes..... one of them is where they put everything I would never consider eating in the goats belly and serve it up........

• 1 month later...