Of the people, by the people, for the people

I have departed from my usual format of voicing my views. Instead, this time I have merely posted questions that have popped into my mind, hoping to spark a discussion.

Our government, being of the people, by the people, and for the people, is required by that definition to abide by and cater to the will of the majority. Doesn't it stand to reason then, that if the genreal public knew the real visa situation that our government would be obliged to comply with our wishes to be with our families?

Is it not public perception and opinion that rules this country and governs our officials?

Being so intimately involved in this visa process, do we forget that most American people are unaware of our plight?

Do you educate people in re what our government is doing to us - in your daily conversations whenever you get the chance? Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Do most Americans just mistakenly assume (as they have been led to believe by official reports and the media) that the INS is merely delaying some visas for a few weeks so our borders will be secure?

Is the reason that the general public has the view that everything is ok at the INS due to misinformation, apathy, propaganda, politics, incompetence, indifference, or . . . ?

How do we get our message to the American 'silent majority'?

An excellent point and one that I have been struggling with. The key is to gain the interest of the media. The media is actually a key element in the way our government works.

I find media types to be throughly irritating at times with their stupid questons and lack of intelligent insight, but the fact is that it is very important that the press get the word out to the people about what our government is really up to. Without them, we would quickly become a dictatorship.

Therefore the key is to find a media outlet, be it a newspaper, TV station, or radio that has an interest in our situation. I keep trying, but have not succeded at this yet. One of the keys is to show them a local interest side of the story. A reason that people would want to hear about what is happening.

Aloha from Hawaii

I agree that good media coverage is needed to take our message to the Public.

Unfortunately, the major media is focused on the Middle East at this time. To

bring our story to the country we need another way to get attention. I think

talk shows may be the way to go. Television talk show love emotinal isues.

Conservative radio talk shows like to attack injustice. There is also a left of

center radio news service. That one is NPR ( National Public Radio ).

We need to think about this line of attack.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG

The media is indeed the key to reaching the masses. How do you do that? I can't say for sure and as I am half-a-world away, there is not much I can do to contact and convince US media. However, I think it has to start at a grassroots level and grow from there. Capitalize on the local interest. Utilize local outlets and possibly, their reports will be picked up by the larger media. And yes, word of mouth is very effective. Time and time again the wisdom of this has been proven.

Personally, I thought the Texan's idea of some sort of rally on Valentine's Day was a good one. This kind of symbolism, Valentine's Day, could be used to gain media attention. Perhaps folks on the board could come up with some sort of organized plan to use Valentine's Day to get the word out more directly.

Just my two cents worth. :( :angry:

I sympathize with your views Wolfman....believe me, I do. The problem is, the majority of Americans, in my opinion, subscribe to the view expressed by the woman who works in Jon in Denver's Senator's office: "You wouldn't be going through this if you would just marry an American woman." I get the same attitude on a daily basis from people who I thought, until now, were my friends and colleagues. They see our spouses and fiancees as nothing more than "mail order brides", to quote Aaron Brown from CNN.

I recently terminated a thirteen year (13) friendship with someone who told me he thought it was ridiculous that I complained so much about our situation, and that he hoped NONE of the people in our group, or the Russia group, EVER received our visas. I think you would be stunned to learn how many of our "fellow Americans" feel the same way.

Texan and Don:

Thanks for sharing these candid thoughts and experiences on the board. Living in China as I do, it is hard for me to really put my finger on the pulse of the consensus of public opinion back home. Texan, I don't blame you for ending that friendship.

I am really saddened by this, truly I am saddened. In many ways, I must confess, it makes me want to stay abroad. :o :D :(

As for Pat B., well, I want to keep my comments civilized so I will stop right here.... :D

I do understand some of what you are saying. You start to find out who your real friends are sometimes in situations like this. I worked in higher education, supposedly a more learned and open minded bunch. Yet even after I was married and waiting on a visa, I found many were eager to snipe at me for a "mail order bride" and for not marrying an American woman. (Ours was not "mail order" in any sense. We were introduced by her brother with whom I went to graduate school)

The more surprising part was who stuck with me and was most supportive. One of our part time machne shop instructors was a Korean War Marine veteran. He was constantly in trouble for making some statement that a student or another instructor would take as racial or sexist. He was very sympathetic and supportive. The professor in the office next to mine was a retired Marine Colonel from the Vietnam era. I never served. (Lucky number) He and his wife have to this date remained very friendly and supportive.

My point is that there are good and bad people out there and that sometimes something like this shows us that people are different than we supposed them to be.

Unfortunately, I am hearing more and more that makes me think that returning to the US may be more of a culture shock than coming here was. I believe that it can best be summed up in a quote from Benjamin Franklin:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 1759

It is a very delicate balancing act between freedom and security, but Americans have always prefered to err on the side of freedom. Have we grown so soft that everything must be perfectly safe? Have we decided to give up our right to elect our government and to hold it accountable in the name of comfort and safety?

The problem is, the majority of Americans, in my opinion, subscribe to the view expressed by the woman who works in Jon in Denver's Senator's office:  "You wouldn't be going through this if you would just marry an American woman

This racist comment actually came from the senator's office!!?? C'mon, everybody can't be born American. I would marry my fiancee, no matter where she was born, and I'm sure you all feel the same way.

But your comment, Jon, just confirms what I am saying. We need to educate the public, the media, the average American.

On a positive note guys, I work with 110 drivers for a bus company in Philly area. ALL know the plight, are always asking how it's going, and empathize with these inordinate delays.

Statistically, (I don't know that stuff, frankly :lol: ) but if each talked to ONE, well, you get the picture; many have asked to come to the wedding once she gets here...people who wouldn't normally be interested in my personal life...due to the suffering of waiting like this - interesting.

I also agree with Don's take...yep, we're a "fart in the wind" story for most. War's on everybody's mind now, so forget any major press releases with us as the lead.

I'm hopeful though with clearance of habing and Roger - that's GREAT news!

They see our spouses and fiancees as nothing more than "mail order brides", to quote Aaron Brown from CNN.

More damaging was Brown's repeated statement that this was a "small story,"--worth covering, mind you, but not of the usual scope. From a national news perspective, especially the megastory, 24x7 orientation of cable news, he's right. I just wish he hadn't kept saying it.

I recently terminated a thirteen year (13) friendship with someone who told me he thought it was ridiculous that I complained so much about our situation, and that he hoped NONE of the people in our group, or the Russia group, EVER received our visas.  I think you would be stunned to learn how many of our "fellow Americans" feel the same way.

Tex,

I can't believe this person will say this stuff to you (about hoping that we never receive visas). I think he is just jeolous. All my friends are very supportative. When they see me, they always ask if my wife (actually my fiancee) is here yet. They can't believe that it is taking so long. I just keep telling them that my wedding banquet will be soon.

I Benjamin Franklin:  

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 1759

It is a very delicate balancing act between freedom and security, but Americans have always prefered to err on the side of freedom.  Have we grown so soft that everything must be perfectly safe?  Have we decided to give up our right to elect our government and to hold it accountable in the name of comfort and safety?

it's quite true: you can't be both completely safe and free.