Acupuncture

Does anyone ever try it?  Is it painful?  I am thinking of trying it for my seasonal allergy.

I had it done by both professionals and by Zixuan... thanks god I had it done in that order since she was less than gentle with jabbing the harpoons into my skin.

if you have a calm disposition and can relax easily, then it is no problem... the needle is usually in a plastic sleeve, and the top is tapped quickly with a finger so that the needle gets beneath the skin. Depending where, the sensation is like a very mild prick to a slightly noticeable "ok, I felt it", but not in a painful way.

whereever there is less skin or thinner skin, it is more a prick and gets to the spot quicker too.

Usually they roll the needle in their fingers to work it down. And can add some heat near the needle in some applications.

Seems to depend on whether the practitioner wants to get to the nerve area , they will say it is the "chi" spot or something.. The guy I went to did this technique.

he keeps lowering the needle till it 'hits' a spot and you get a momentary reflex at that spot..

I never meditated in my life.. but this was the closest thing since I really focused my thoughts during the process.

I think you try it...

I have never had acupunture done. I just don't like the idea of being pricked with needles. I did have some on my skull once for a class. I prefer acupressure since it does about the same but without needles. Cupping is pretty good too. Since it is a seasonal allergy acupuncture might work as only a temporary measure would be needed. Acupuncture effects are generally not long lasting. THey are best for quick relief and when the treatment affects a change in condition so it is long lasting.

For sinus allergies my aromatherapy blend of plant oils has helped many. Often a mixed discipline approach is best.

Ive had it done many times, for about three months... take your finger and flick it against your skin, thats what mine felt like.. not painful at all..although I didnt feel that it helped my headaches, it can be quite effective because one time this different doctor placed one needle in my hand and within less then 30 seconds, I felt dizzy and like I was about to pass out!.. he quickly pulled the needle out and told me that all the blood in my head rushed out and i was white as a ghost!..Said the chi energy was being pulled downward....hmmmm all I know is not to have one needle put in my fleshy part between the thumb and first finger again!

Ah that is a good spot. Very useful. This is why I prefer acupressure. The therapist checks out the full body condition through palpation before working the points. I think it gives more data input than with a poor acupuncturist. Of course both vary greatly depending on training and experience. Just like any doctor.

Give it a try Tony!

I had accupuncture treatments while I lived in China, for a variety of little ailments as well as chronic neck pain. It really helped.

As to the pain, I have found that some points where they put in the needles are painful, and other points don't hurt at all. For me, it seemed most of the feet points were the most painful. Still, it was well worth it in my book. I hear it is very helpful with seasonal allergies.

Let me know how it works out.

some questions regarding Acupuncture

1. Are the needles disposable?

2. were you ever afraid of a dirty needle?

3. what is the cost?  (in the US & China)

Both disposable and nondisposable needles are in use.

Needles are sanitized

In the U.S. treatment sessions vary greatly in cost from $30 to $80 depending on location and often ethnicity of the acupuncturists. In Los Angeles Korea town is the cheapist area because of over competition. Acupuncturists usually also do herbal remedies and moxibustion as well as cupping. For pain and immobility cupping has helped me greatly when combined with acupressure massage. For colds and flu guasha (scraping is great. I have reduced fevers quickly with it. Child ailments are best cured with Xiao Er Tuina if you can find it.

some questions regarding Acupuncture

1. Are the needles disposable?

2. were you ever afraid of a dirty needle?

3. what is the cost?  (in the US & China)

Both disposable and nondisposable needles are in use.

Needles are sanitized

In the U.S. treatment sessions vary greatly in cost from $30 to $80 depending on location and often ethnicity of the acupuncturists. In Los Angeles Korea town is the cheapist area because of over competition. Acupuncturists usually also do herbal remedies and moxibustion as well as cupping. For pain and immobility cupping has helped me greatly when combined with acupressure massage. For colds and flu guasha (scraping is great. I have reduced fevers quickly with it. Child ailments are best cured with Xiao Er Tuina if you can find it.

For about a year, I was inspecting acupuncturists in Boston area working indirectly for an insurance company. Basically, I took photos of the clinics. The acupuncturists are required to dispose the needles in a Bio-Hazard Container. Even though I was inspecting the clinics, I didn't know what exactly the acupuncturists did for treatment. At that time, one Chinese lady doctor said she would do free treatment for me. Maybe I should call her now.