Travel after Green Card

But do note:

One can Forever Hold a US Green Card and A Chinese Passport (I know a professor who has done this now for 34 years).

One can not simultaneously hold a Chinese Passport and a US Passport, unless one is under 18 years old.

Hence, in our case, we have decided to not give up the Chinese Citizenship...for once you do, you can not easily, if ever, get it back.

What do others think/feel about this?

I guess, being younger, we are looking at the future as part of our determination!

Naturally, we never know what the future holds...and this may change some day...

Hence, in our case, we have decided to not give up the Chinese Citizenship...for once you do, you can not easily, if ever, get it back.

147230[/snapback]

some discussion in here too...

Living in China, what to deal with

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11637

I'm of the same thought as you.. and knowing my SO, she would not give up the citizenship anyway.

But cannot say I understand all the issues and implications.. and what changes will occur in the future.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

147230[/snapback]

some discussion in here too...

Living in China, what to deal with

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11637

I'm of the same thought as you.. and knowing my SO, she would not give up the citizenship anyway.

But cannot say I understand all the issues and implications.. and what changes will occur in the future.

147234[/snapback]

We have experienced racism and prejudice here.

However, my wife definitely finds that some things here are better than in China, but others are worse.

At the present time, we are living here, for the future, because of academics and present employment situations.

If those change, which they inevitably will, then we will need to think more.

Presently, our thoughts place China slightly ahead of the US, but still both behind 3rd locations.

However, no one knows what the future will hold.

If the economic situation in China keeps on improving in terms of for all people, or if China follows more of an European approach with better public transportation and better environmental standards (which in some ways it is and in other ways it is not), then it will increase as a potential future place to live and work in.

But, what we see right now is that we are both people, and that the future is too uncertain to predict. Hence, we want to maximize our flexibility to face the future.

Does this make sense?

This is why both of us think that keeping as many bridges unburnt as possible is the best way to go.

It is another reason why neither of us have changed our name...but for our future children, this still needs to be worked out, shall we hyphenate, use 4 names, use chinese, english, etc? We already have ideas worked out...but I wonder what others will do?

Thanks for listening and i hope that this makes sense...

it seems to me that you have given this some thought, and as you mentioned the future is uncertain, but I think you will be able to go just about anywhere, a simple phone call or email to that particular country's counsulate should tell you pretty quickly.....

We have experienced racism and prejudice here.

However, my wife definitely finds that some things here are better than in China, but others are worse.

At the present time, we are living here, for the future, because of academics and present employment situations.

If those change, which they inevitably will, then we will need to think more.

Presently, our thoughts place China slightly ahead of the US, but still both behind 3rd locations.

However, no one knows what the future will hold.

If the economic situation in China keeps on improving in terms of for all people, or if China follows more of an European approach with better public transportation and better environmental standards (which in some ways it is and in other ways it is not), then it will increase as a potential future place to live and work in.

But, what we see right now is that we are both people, and that the future is too uncertain to predict.  Hence, we want to maximize our flexibility to face the future.

Does this make sense?

This is why both of us think that keeping as many bridges unburnt as possible is the best way to go.

It is another reason why neither of us have changed our name...but for our future children, this still needs to be worked out, shall we hyphenate, use 4 names, use chinese, english, etc?  We already have ideas worked out...but I wonder what others will do?

Thanks for listening and i hope that this makes sense...

147236[/snapback]

From all the stories I hear on this board about China... sometimes I have to question if it is the same country that I visited... :)

But, really no different than someone trying to explain the bliss of hospitality of the south with the cold shoulder of the north or the gangs in many cities.

My future also places China somewhere... so same idea with bridges unburnt.. and her keeping her citizenship.

When we have children, they will take her last name.. current plan.. Check with me tomorrow and I might have a different answer..