Living in China

There was a previous thread about moving to China.. but I wanted to pick up the topic again since many seemed to voice some desire of doing this..

but it's not clear what the implications are:

1) if our SO keeps her chinese citizenship (thus, for extended absence, how to deal with her re-entry to US) ?

2) if our SO gets US citizenship, and therefore what difficulties are there to retiring in china?

added in the thread I mentioned:

Who will live back in China ?, You ?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?sho...moving+to+china

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
There was a previous thread about moving to China.. but I wanted to pick up the topic again since many seemed to voice some desire of doing this..

but it's not clear what the implications are:

1)  if our SO keeps her chinese citizenship (thus, for extended absence, how to deal with her re-entry to US) ? 

2)  if our SO gets US citizenship, and therefore what difficulties are there to retiring in china?

138440[/snapback]

Good thought David....

One of the many things that attracted me to my SO to begin with is that she is not in the least bit pretentious, nor is she over-anxious to just go to the US. She would be completely content were I there in China with her, or here with me.

I'm looking forward to seeing input on this topic, and also about the implications of owning property. My SO and I are considering keeping her home in Shenzhen and renting after she comes. Clearly, the most ideal situation would be is to have easy movement between to two countries without a whole lotta legal mumbo jumbo....

We decided we must both be US citizens for this to work. Travel is easy anywhere you wish to go. And if there is ever any ugliness between our countries we would want to be shipped out together...or face the firing squad together... :ph34r:

138443[/snapback]

interesting... I guess I didn't see this angle.

If she is a USC, what justification do you have to 'retire' to china and be allowed to stay? What visa will permit this?

We decided we must both be US citizens for this to work. Travel is easy anywhere you wish to go. And if there is ever any ugliness between our countries we would want to be shipped out together...or face the firing squad together... :ph34r:

138443[/snapback]

If she is a USC, what justification do you have to 'retire' to china and be allowed to stay? What visa will permit this?

138449[/snapback]

I'm sure others can answer this better than I now. I know you can get permanent residency in China but it involves a very large investment. But I believe you can shuffle in and out occasionally and meet requirements. My SO has some "connections" which may help us. I also think this will be liberalized in the next few years and make it even easier.

I don't think that terrorists check passports, but planning on a lot of travel together may be a practical justification for a US citizenship.

While, keeping the option of retiring to China open may be the best justification for retaining her Chinese citizenship.

138443[/snapback]

138449[/snapback]

I'm sure others can answer this better than I now. I know you can get permanent residency in China but it involves a very large investment. But I believe you can shuffle in and out occasionally and meet requirements. My SO has some "connections" which may help us. I also think this will be liberalized in the next few years and make it even easier.

138455[/snapback]

I hear from my Chinese friends that it is very easy for the spouse of a Chinese citizen to retire with her to China.

But if she has her USC, I'm sure that would change the picture somewhat.

138443[/snapback]

138449[/snapback]

This is a really good point. China's visa laws are currently in a state of evolution, and what is true today might not be true tomorrow. When I lived there (five years) I was on a "Z" visa, which is a one-year work visa, renewable for 12 months at a time. I think now they may issue work visas for longer periods of time.

I am not a visa expert by any stretch, but I am not aware of any visa category that would allow a person to "retire" in China. Perhaps they want to discourage such a thing due to overpopulation. There may be such a visa now, I don't know. And, the owning of property or marriage to a Chinese citizen may be a mitigating factor. I don't know.

Yet, once your SO becomes an American citizen, she will have to give up her Chinese citizenship and most likely would be subject to the same visa laws as you are.

I would, however, be interested to know if one can in fact "retire" in China. It may be possible. I just don't know how to do it. :D

That's what I hear Randy. The main problem comes from the U.S. letting your Chinese SO stay. That's why we go through this blasted process to begin with. I know Chinese couples that have one with Chinese passport and American Residency and the other has American passport with Chinese Residency. They have no problem going back and forth. One couple I know He is Canadian Citizen with Chinese Residency via family, She is American Resident with Chinese Passport. They live in China and she comes to the U.S. every year for 2-3 months. He hasn't been able to get a visa to the U.S.

I think for convenience if you hope to live in both worlds keep both citizenships. I am sure the situation will change in the coming years depending on politics. This is after all strictly a political issue.

Oh - interesting point. At some point after retiring to China with her as a Chinese citizen, would her green card be revoked?

Seems like I saw a post somewhere about someone who made trips to the US on a regular basis in order to maintain the green card.

My main worry would be being separated. The policy of the US is to come to the defense of Taiwan if it is attacked and no one knows how that problem will be resolved. Also Luli wants to become a USC so I think that whatever we would need to do to stay in China we will have to do.

Those of us who were taught to hide under our desks in the event of nuclear war can identify with your concern, but I doubt that in today's world, any kind of a serious war (or forced separation) would be possible.

If you two travel together, you might get stuck at one place or the other temporarily in the event of war, but I think that that would be the worst that could happen.

The world is vastly different now.

Randy as long as there are national borders and countries have political agendas it isn't that different. The day that Nagasaki was bombed there were four Americans there who had been kept under house arrest. They were visiting relatives when war broke out.

There are always risks.

For me I will take reasonable precaution and live my life. Who knows what political break down or conflict may arise in the future. Current treaties require The United States with allies Japan and Australia to come to Taiwans aide. New arms sales to Taiwan are planned to allow them to hold out until we arrive. China is advancing fast in five to ten years who knows what the outcome would be. It could easily be nuclear world war in which case not much would remain anyway.

I would agree with Randy that it is highly unlikely. From most sources I hear of it is expected to take three days to come to Taiwans aid. If Taiwan falls in that time there would be political fallout but no military escalation.

Of course this alone would probably freeze travel to the U.S. but by way of third countries I expect we could quickly be reunited.

I doubt though that no matter what happens we will ever again be seperated as we were by GUZ.