Duan Wu (Dragon Boat) Festival

That's the day I arrive in Shanghai. Cool, maybe another good sign. :blink: And I love them dumplings. :huh:

I loved dumplings (jiao zi) until...

Have you been in china at new years?

I had my fill of dumplings for breakfast, lunch and dinner... i was asked if I wanted some water... I got very excited for the first time that anyone asked me this since I knew I could cut the taste of all the dumplins.

They brought me to a bowl of water the dumplings dripped into...

after two days, I did not want to see another dumpling... :(

That is one of the things Jen remembers most about my last trip. Almost every morning I had them with an egg at the hotel. :blink: Also my first day there, her family made them fresh for me. Maybe there is an upper limit, but I haven't reached it yet. :(

My dumpling limit was hit at six straight meals... but it went on for another few anyway...

I still love em.. we went to a hole in the wall place , you walk almost through the kitchen to get to a seat, but all they served were dumplings.. it was heaven.

The dumpling for Duan Wu festival is made of sticky rice. We usually called them "Zong Zi" (rice dumpling).

The rice dumpling is in triangle shape. The taste and the stuffing varies. I'm not very fond of rice dumpling, however, I prefer the salty one to sweet one. :( Usually the salty one has green bean and meat inside, while the sweet one has smashed red bean as stuffing.

Jiao zi still tops my "I could eat them anytime" list.  And, like David, I've eaten a lot of them.  Jingwen is a perfectionist when it comes to making dumplings.  Thank  you, xin ai de lao po. :(

Zixuan's sister loves them line nothing else... so she found this out of the place spot.

Zixuan and I went to her friends house to eat.. the friend had prepared the dough already.. when we got there, we were put to work and I was shown how to roll the dough out and then stuff dumplings...

That was my favorite dumpling night....

The dumpling for Duan Wu festival is made of sticky rice. We usually called them "Zong Zi" (rice dumpling).

The rice dumpling is in triangle shape. The taste and the stuffing varies. I'm not very fond of rice dumpling, however, I prefer the salty one to sweet one. :( Usually the salty one has green bean and meat inside, while the sweet one has smashed red bean as stuffing.

I saw that in Tony's write-up.. I don't think I've ever had those... but I'd like to..

Zixuan and I went to her friends house to eat..  the friend had prepared the dough already.. when we got there, we were put to work and I was shown how to roll the dough out and then stuff dumplings...

Aah, yes...making dumplings.

Here's a little tip....mess up about half of the ones you fold. You won't be asked to do it again. :(

The rice dumpling is in triangle shape. The taste and the stuffing varies. I'm not very fond of rice dumpling, however, I prefer the salty one to sweet one. :lol: Usually the salty one has green bean and meat inside, while the sweet one has smashed red bean as stuffing.

I saw that in Tony's write-up.. I don't think I've ever had those... but I'd like to..

You can only eat one of two and you will be full. The sweeter kind I tried didn't have any stuffing inside.

Sounds like a really neat event.

Here in Portland it is time for the Rose Festival. Scads of things to do, including next wekend Dragon Boat races. These races are sponsered by The Portand-Kaohsiung Sister City Association. Kaohsiung is in Taiwan and has donated two boats to the annual race. Another was donated by China, PRC. We are going to attend one of the parties Saturday night and watch the races on Sunday. I am sure they are not as fun as attending the real thing in China, but it should be a great weekend.

The rice dumpling is in triangle shape. The taste and the stuffing varies. I'm not very fond of rice dumpling, however, I prefer the salty one to sweet one. :lol: Usually the salty one has green bean and meat inside, while the sweet one has smashed red bean as stuffing.

You can only eat one of two and you will be full. The sweeter kind I tried didn't have any stuffing inside.

so you mean just dough.. like a bun?