Passed her interview today

First, I want to thank everyone here at CFL. Without you guys, we wouldn't have passed the interview so easily and will probably be paying those people at the gates $$$$ to fix the problem.

Here's the short version. I will write the long version later. My SO will write the Chinese version on 001.

Everything happened like what everyone had described on CFL previously. She turned in the sealed medical envolop in the morning and was told to come back in the afternoon. In the afternoon, there were 11 windows staffed with VO. Windows 4-11 were open. She got window #4 with a white guy in mid 30s: a very nice guy. Interview was very quick and was over in less than 2 minutes.

Interview questions were:

VO - Visa officer. SO - Significant Other (my fiancee)

VO: Ni hao (Hello in Chinese)

SO: Ni hao.

VO: Can you speak English?

SO: A little bit.

VO: Oh good. Your English in better than my Chinese.

VO: Who applied for you?

SO: XXXXXX XXXXXX (name given)

VO: What's your relationship with him?

SO: He is my fiancee.

VO: How did you meet?

SO: We were introduced by a mutual family friend.

VO: (Looking puzzled) Who is he?

SO: She is XXXX XXXXX (name given). She is my mom's best friend and also is my fiancee's parents' best friend.

VO: When did you meet?

SO: 2003 nian 2 yue 15 ri (Feburary 15, 2003 in Chinese)

VO understands and nods

VO: Oh OK. How many times did he come back to see you.

SO: 8 times. I have his passport. Do you want to see?

VO: NO. Can I see the work letter?

SO gives him my I-134 package. See below for complete list. He looks through couple of pages.

VO: What does he do?

SO: He is a computer engineer. He works for XXX XXXXXXX (name given).

VO: Oh great...... Do you have photos?

SO: Yeah sure...

VO picks a random picture and say: Are these his parents? (He's pointing at my cousin)

SO: Oh no..... These are his cousins. She turns to the first pic which has a whole bunch of family members. She explains to VO who are the people in the pic.

VO: Thank you. Have a good trip. He stamps on a bunch of papers and keeps the employment letter.

SO: Thank you Thank you Thank you (kept on thanking him like an idiot :D )

VO: Are you going to San Francisco? (I was randomly picked for baggage check and after the custom agent had finished checking the bag, he wished me a pleasant trip to San Antonio which was obviously wrong. So I warned my SO about trick questions.)

SO: NO!!!! I'm going to XXXX XXXXXXX.

VO: Oh, it's a beautiful city.

I-134 package:

**** Will add later

Proof of relationship:

**** Will add later

We felt these were things VO looked for:

1) SO knows the relationship with Petitioner: that I am her fiancee

2) How many times I have visited my fiancee. My SO volunteer to show VO my passport.

3) Pictures with both of us with other family members

4) Financial support: work letter is important

5) Practice, practice, practice interview questions. We first practiced in Chinese the 95 interview questions. Then we practiced in English. My SO felt it was important to be able to answer in English

6) Keep the answer short and simple especially when answering in English. If SO gets stuck, answer in Chinese first to show that she knows the answer and then try to translate to English. Most likely VO will be able to understand the Chinese answer.

7) Maintain eye contact. Keep looking at his nose. I read this from CFL and told my SO to do this. :)

We wish everyone good luck.

-Ken