Chinese communities

I could be wrong but i think it used to be 22cnd street. I thought Cermak was a mayor of Cicero and they named 22cnd st in cicero after him--He man, i've slept since i left there-I can't be sure about everything.

Anton Cermak was mayor of Chicago from 1931 until 1933 when he was shot by an assassin who was trying to kill FDR... :o

Chicago -Cicero-close enough. the only mayor i ever knew was his majesty King Richard J Daley.

well i was in the ball park with Cermak-at least he was a mayor. Maybe it's cermak in the city and 22cnd in cicero??

Hey North side boy. You a Cubbies fan?? You lived there when it was 'say hey kid' E. Banks SS- 1st, Beckard 2cnd, D. Kessinger ss, R santo 3rd, R Hundly C , 'sweet swingin' Billy Williams L, J Pepitone Center, F Jenkins P , and someone i can't remember in right- maybe Rick Monday. I've been drunk with all of them. Most fans headed to the Cubbie Bear loung on Addison after the game. I always went to Lefties Bleachers bar and grill off of Shelton avenue (maybe) that's were the Cubbies hung out after the games.

Ahhh, memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Daley was the Emperor all the time I was there... :huh:

My grandfather and father were and are real Cubby fans. I liked the Cubs when I was real young but I liked a team that won sometimes too and being a history buff I became enamored of the (shudder, gasp) New York Yankees... :lol: And I've only been drunk a few times in my life so now you know why I turned out so wrong... B)

But I do remember taking the streetcar down Addison to Wrigley Field with grandpa, buying big Chicago style hot dogs with EVERYTHING for 25 cents and sitting in the bleachers for 50 cents... :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Cubs fans, you must heard the curse of the Billy Goat.

Now that Garciaparra has detached his groin muscle :rolleyes: :huh: and Mark Prior cracked his elbow, I am beginning to believe in the curse of the goat.

The Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908 and the Sox haven't won the dance since 1919. That's a combined 183 seasons of futility. Makes the Curse of the Bambino look like a Piker.

• 4 weeks later...
I just heard that there is a Chinatown in D.C..........cool!... :lol:

Maybe I can catch ol'e Geo. Bush and 'Connie' chowing down on some shrimp fried rice!.............. :lol:

128484[/snapback]

I'll check it out in DC....

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown.

I'm really glad that you mentioned the Chicago Chinatown- cuz that's where we are moving to. I'm from Michigan, but been to Chicago many times- my mom is currently living there.

Do you know if most of the Chinese there are Cantonese or Mandarin speakers?? It's great to hear about the grocery stores- as he's sure gonna miss him mama's cooking.....

My friend lives right in Chicago's old Chinatown. The mall area is not far away. I was there around 5 years ago and most Chinese preferred the old Chinatown than the mall. People in the old Chinatown spoke a mixture of Cantonese dialects. I heard some Mandarin too. Chicago has one of the biggest Chinatown in US (NY, SF, LA/Monterey Park/Orange County, Boston, and Chicago). My friend took me to a nice Seafood restaurant in the old Chinatown. We ordered a steam fish and 2 other seafood dishes. The bill came up to be $121 and I was shocked. Never order seafood in Chicago because those items have to be shipped from the coast.

127226[/snapback]

Hmmm, not sure what resteraunt you went to in Chicago but normaly fresh fish is not $90 even if it is flown in. Even at the four seasons hotel it is only $35 or $40. Of course Chicago area has many fresh local fish and I have bought fresh fish in a resteraunts for as little as $12.

Just like in China we went to one place and the food was fair for about 50RMB each and we went to another and it was great for about 25RMB. Just have to check around and look at the menu prices before you order.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't too impressed with the Chinatown in DC. Now I see why! It didn't make your list!...... :D

We went to the DC Chinatown early one morning in hopes of having breakfast like the way we did in China but we were in for a "rude awakening!"

When we came up to street level from the Metro, the place looked deserted. I saw a lady cop standing on the corner and asked her what Chinese place is open for breakfast. She said nothing opens around here until 11:30. I'm thinking, where can we go to eat? The only thing I could think to ask the lady cop is where is a McDonalds. She said, there's one right over there, pointing to a Micky D's in a storefront bldg. about 100 yards away!....... :P

Hmmm,,,,McEgg Fu Yung anyone?...........:lol: