Chinese communities

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give more details of what Atlanta's Chinatown is like?

http://www.atlantachinatown.com/en/about.html

Tony, your link is a good one but only tells about one small shopping center in Atlanta.

A bit more comprehensive overview can be found at http://www.atlantaregional.com/regionaldat...ata/chinese.pdf. Most of the information in the report is based on the 2000 census data, and current estimates put the Chinese population at closer to 50,000.

The report contains a number of websites related to the Chinese community, and I would be happy to answer any specific questions.

We actually have three and a half down here in Ardmore, only two if my family is out of town. Salina, our daughter, accounts for the half. The other couple owns the local Chinese take-out.

In five or six years you will be part of Huntsville. Maybe a new Chinatown around Harvest?

We just returned from Chinatown Atlanta this evening. LaoPo says "many GuangZhou people here. We move here!" Sorry darling, but the money is here. We have a good Chinese market here, but we still managed to bring home a cooler full of goodies. Pork bones, various roots, and the fish were still kickin'. Fresh for Yue means it ain't quite dead yet.

Boy, have you got that right! Before long, Huntsville will have annexed all the way to the Tennesse line. We live about a mile into Tennessee. Have only been in Ardmore for about two years.

I am a native of Huntsville and lived there until I was 10. My family moved to Venice, Florida, where I lived until I was 18. After a stint in the Army, I moved back to Huntsville and went to UAH, then to work. I remained in Huntsville until moving to Miami in 1983. Lived in Miami until '98, then moved to China. Lived in China until we finally got the visa and returned to the States around two years ago. Ended up in Ardmore.

I really like Huntsville, by far the most cosmopolitan city in Alabama. Over the years, I have hiked every inch of Monte Sano, on every side. Still have quite a few relatives there. In fact, my uncle just retired as the Huntsville Fire Chief on May 31.

We get down to the Rocket City pretty often. Is your S.O. in the States now? PM me. Maybe we can meet for lunch some time. Be glad to share our visa story with you. It is, to say the least, a long and strange journey. Li and I have been together for over seven years now and have a one-year-old daughter.

Dallas has a very active and growing Chinese community. Mostly located in far north Dallas area (Plano, Addison, Richardson). You may also see www.dallaschinesenews.com for more information.

Fort Worth (28 miles west) has an growing bubble in the nortwest part of Tarrant County.

Cost of living is far less than beautiful L.A.

Can you give more details of what Atlanta's Chinatown is like?

The part we visited was mostly pan-asian. The two miles or so south of I-285 in

Doraville on Buford Highway. The street is mostly strip malls/shopping centers of all sorts of mostly asian variety. The area population semed to be mostly hispanic, so there is a few Mexican shops as well.

We did visit the Chinatown mall from Tony's link. It is a little west of Buford Hwy, a half mile or so off the path. It is small, but we managed to find a lot of goodies. There were a few resturant suppy places in this area also.

Another place we visited was "Asain Village", closer to I-285. Many shops and a huge grocery, comparative to our experience at least. LP was happy with everything except the 3.5 hour drive. I only wish it had been closer to Golfsmith.

Maybe Frank can fill us in on which is "the" street to visit.

The San Francisco Bay Area has a very large Chinese population, up and down the Peninsula as well as along the East Bay.

San Francisco, in particular, hosts 3 disctintive Chinatowns. The old Chinatown along Grant Street, Clement Street in the Richmond Distict and Irving Street in the Sunset Disctict.

Jarrod

• 2 weeks later...

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown. Laupoh and I were just there yesterday and it was well worth the trip from Wisconsin. There is a new open mall development that had many restaurants and Chinese shops of every type. There were 2 large grocery stores with everything Luli would need for her Chinese specialties-butchers, live seafood, etc. Need less to say I left behind many $$$ and the trunk was full for the drive home. We had a great dinner with a fresh fish, shrimp and a beef dish, vegetables, etc. There is another newer Chinatown in the city also but I am told it is more Vietnamese and Cambodian. I know we will be returning often to eat and shop but my gummint job would make it impossible to leave where we live although there are very few asians anywhere near here.

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown.

I'm really glad that you mentioned the Chicago Chinatown- cuz that's where we are moving to. I'm from Michigan, but been to Chicago many times- my mom is currently living there.

Do you know if most of the Chinese there are Cantonese or Mandarin speakers?? It's great to hear about the grocery stores- as he's sure gonna miss him mama's cooking.....

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown. Laupoh and I were just there yesterday and it was well worth the trip from Wisconsin. There is a new open mall development that had many restaurants and Chinese shops of every type. There were 2 large grocery stores with everything Luli would need for her Chinese specialties-butchers, live seafood, etc. Need less to say I left behind many $$$ and the trunk was full for the drive home. We had a great dinner with a fresh fish, shrimp and a beef dish, vegetables, etc. There is another newer Chinatown in the city also but I am told it is more Vietnamese and Cambodian. I know we will be returning often to eat and shop but my gummint job would make it impossible to leave where we live although there are very few asians anywhere near here.

How dare you go to Chicago china town and not invite me!!!

hey, how come i didn't know you were from Chy town??? Where 'bouts??

Next time you go ya best lemme know dude!!

I see no one has mentioned the Chinatown in mine and Trigg's hometown-Chicago. There are many asians in the northern Illinois area but the old original Chinatown is quite a small spot near downtown.

I'm really glad that you mentioned the Chicago Chinatown- cuz that's where we are moving to. I'm from Michigan, but been to Chicago many times- my mom is currently living there.

Do you know if most of the Chinese there are Cantonese or Mandarin speakers?? It's great to hear about the grocery stores- as he's sure gonna miss him mama's cooking.....

My friend lives right in Chicago's old Chinatown. The mall area is not far away. I was there around 5 years ago and most Chinese preferred the old Chinatown than the mall. People in the old Chinatown spoke a mixture of Cantonese dialects. I heard some Mandarin too. Chicago has one of the biggest Chinatown in US (NY, SF, LA/Monterey Park/Orange County, Boston, and Chicago). My friend took me to a nice Seafood restaurant in the old Chinatown. We ordered a steam fish and 2 other seafood dishes. The bill came up to be $121 and I was shocked. Never order seafood in Chicago because those items have to be shipped from the coast.

I think most were Mandarin speakers Amber. Luli had no problem talking with them and although she understands Cantonese she does not speak it very much. I asked an employee in one shop a question in English about something very simple and she could not answer me but Luli could talk to her of course. Then Luli told me it was surprising that someone working in a store could not speak English... :lol: So it is a very Chinese area... :lol:

My friend lives right in Chicago's old Chinatown. The mall area is not far away. I was there around 5 years ago and most Chinese preferred the old Chinatown than the mall. People in the old Chinatown spoke a mixture of Cantonese dialects. I heard some Mandarin too. Chicago has one of the biggest Chinatown in US (NY, SF, LA/Monterey Park/Orange County, Boston, and Chicago). My friend took me to a nice Seafood restaurant in the old Chinatown. We ordered a steam fish and 2 other seafood dishes. The bill came up to be $121 and I was shocked. Never order seafood in Chicago because those items have to be shipped from the coast.

We were shocked at the prices for seafood also Tony. We ordered a fish and it was $22... :lol: The whole bill for 2 was about $60.

How dare you go to Chicago china town and not invite me!!!

hey, how come i didn't know you were from Chy town??? Where 'bouts??

Next time you go ya best lemme know dude!!

I thought you knew I was from Chi town. I think you are probably getting CRS in your old age... :lol: :lol: :D

I am a North side boy.. lived in the northwest suburb of Norridge from the age of 6 until I skedaddled at 18 for college in the wilds of Wisconsin... :o