Does your SO want to learn to drive?

We had discussed getting a Driver's license in China first but she has decided against it. Since she is inexperienced in China and the practices are different on the road, it seemed learning in China would create blocks to doing it correctly here. Also China speeds are much slower and passing rules etc not the same. So she is willing to wait for the license to learn the American way. Also when visiting China neither of us has need to know Chinese driving laws as there is no need to drive.

Chinese driving laws

Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one!

Yes, and what's this about passing rules? The only rule I saw was that if your car is ahead of the next guy you can go or turn anywhere you want to! :blink: :lol: :lol:

I liked being driven around in those three wheeled carriers.. motorcycle engine powered.. those guys (and gals!) would drive anywhere, on the sidewalk, against traffic, in any pesdestrian lane.

I found that this was maybe the best way to get somewhere fast during heavier traffic since they ignore all the laws and right of way...

Guest blsqueaky
Amy found this link. It had 5 complete DMV written tests with the correct answers in Chinese!

CA does have drivers license handbooks in Chinese but no practice tests.

Here's the link

http://www.wowpicture.com/fromchinatousa_b..._scan_index.htm

Thanks Steve. Found out the other day that here in Ohio, Ling has to take her test in English, but I will save this link so that she can practice. There is another one that Ling uses when proacticing, and in Chinese. Dean sent it to me. I will send to you. It takes a little navigating, but it is very usefull.

I liked being driven around in those three wheeled carriers.. motorcycle engine powered.. those guys (and gals!)  would drive anywhere, on the sidewalk, against traffic, in any pesdestrian lane.

I found that this was maybe the best way to get somewhere fast during heavier traffic since they ignore all the laws and right of way...

I liked all of the unlicensed 2 wheeled motorcycle "taxis". For a few yuan, you hop on the back seat and weave your way to where you are going. I wasn't personally ready to risk my life (and I had Amy with me) but it would beat walking a mile or two!

I liked being driven around in those three wheeled carriers.. motorcycle engine powered.. those guys (and gals!)  would drive anywhere, on the sidewalk, against traffic, in any pesdestrian lane.  

I liked all of the unlicensed 2 wheeled motorcycle "taxis". For a few yuan, you hop on the back seat and weave your way to where you are going. I wasn't personally ready to risk my life (and I had Amy with me) but it would beat walking a mile or two!

At least in Baoding, despite the weaving, they go at relatively slow speed and the main competitors for space are bike riders and pedestrians..

have told Ying, she needs to be able to drive.  I  have given her a copy of IL rules to study.  We  are discusing her taking some driving lessons in Beijing.

She has never drive a car

howdy ed,

yan zi took lessons in chengdu, which had to help -- she had never driven either, so i was thinking the same like you. she hasn't started lessons since she got to calif though. passed the written last month and she's scouting out the driver training schools.

steve