Where to stay in GZ for the interview?

Hi,

I am not familiar with GZ.

1) Can I get some info as to where should I stay?

2) Which hotel is close to the consulate?

3) Is there an online GZ map?

4) How many days prior to the interview should I arrive at GZ?

5) Since I'm already there and I've never been to GZ, where to go to get great food, shopping and do the usual touristy things? :blink:

Thanks.......

krjchen,

Congrats on the upcoming interview. :lol: I can't add anything here, except to invite you to the "itinerary" thread I have going in "our stories" and "my stupid question" thread here. Being in the same boat of planning the for Jen's interview, we might come up with a lot of the same questions as well as you might think of things I don't and vise versa. :blink:

My personal choice is the Victory Hotel Annex. It's the older hotel that is behind the Thai restaurant, and right around the corner from the consulate.

My "very saving" wife had no complaints.

I had booked us at the Victory, but Jingwen asked her former brother in law to re-book us at the Shamian Hotel because she thought the Victory was too expensive (we needed two rooms because of her teenaged kids). Old 'bro did one of those "secret double handshake deals", and we ended up with two rooms at the Shamian - I don't remember the cost, but it was very cheap. The rooms were adequate, and a number of K visa applicants were staying there as well.

We stayed at the "new" Victory hotel. Room was nice, service was excellent, and the western breakfast buffet was near flawless.

Five minutes walking to the consulate, 7-11 on one side, little grocery store on the other. China Post was right next door. And Lucy's, where all the expat'gather, was just the other side of the island.

... stated in simple terms... the new victory hotel was fine. The other hotels mentioned in this thread are probably fine too.

Price wise... the new victory was probably about $25/night more than other hotels in the area... So I went by the you-often-get-what-you-pay-for axiom... and paid the extra bucks.

I have no regrets and no misquito bites. :unsure:

Go to Lucy's and get your SO a Banna Split. I did this and it was a big hit!

As for arrival times... I would get there 2 days early. You do NOT want to risk not being there, right?? So get there early, take you SO to dinner, enjoy holding hands, reconnect emotionally, and enjoy being in love!!

Get there early, eliminate the stress, and enjoy the journey...

As I write this I am in Shenzhen with Hong. We picked up her visa three days ago and fly back to the US in two days... We are having a great time just walking and looking around...

Enjoy the ride...

Hi,

I am not familiar with GZ.

5) Since I'm already there and I've never been to GZ, where to go to get great food, shopping and do the usual touristy things?  :D

Thanks.......

I would suggest staying one night (the nite before the interview) at one of the hotel in Shamian, and live in a hotel located in shopping area. I recommend the 7-day inn at the Beijing Nan Lu. It's within walking distance to the famous tourist attraction-- Beijing Lu. There are quite a few great restaurants nearby. RMB138 per night, great deal, if you don't mind simplicity. Shamian is a tranquil place but there are few good restaurants with reasonable prices around.

White Swan, Victory, Custom, etc. Folks here have already named a few.

You can find many links using google.

Depends on your own schedule if you are the petitioner. If you are the beneficiary, you'd better get to GZ 3-4 days in advance for the physical examination.

5) Since I'm already there and I've never been to GZ, where to go to get great food, shopping and do the usual touristy things? ;)

Local Cantonese food:

Xi Guan Ren Jia in the Liwan Plaza ÀóÍå¹ã³¡µÄÎ÷¹ØÈ˼Ò

Dong Jiang Seafood restaurant (near Haizhu Square)

º£Öé¹ã³¡¸½½üµÄ¶«½­º£ÏʾƼÒ

Tao Tao Ju Restaurant (at the Shang Xia Jiu pedestrian street)

ÉÏϾŵÄÌÕÌÕ¾Ó

Seafood restaurants at Huangsha

»ÆɳµÄº£ÏʾƼÒ

Western food:

Macau street -- Portuguese food (Huan Shi Dong Lu)

Milano -- Italian food (Huan Shi Dong Lu)

1920's Cafe -- German food (Yan Jiang Road)

Green Island Restaurant (Lan Pu Park)

La Seine -- French food (Er Sha island)

Latina -- barbeque (Jian She Liu Ma Lu)

Yue Ming Yuan -- Vietnam food (Jian She Liu Ma Lu)

Shopping:

Local specialities & trinkets

Yi Yuan wholesale market -- Haizhu Square º£Öé¹ã³¡µÄÒêÔ°Åú·¢Êг¡

Zhuang Yuan Fang ×´Ôª·»

Factory outlets:

Hua Le lu »ªÀÖ·

Boutique:

Liu Yun Er Jie (behind the Team Plaza in Tianhe district)

ÌìºÓ³ÇºóÃæµÄÁùÔ˶þ½Ö

Others:

Beijing Lu, Shang Xia Jiu lu, Update Mall, Team Plaza, China Plaza, Zheng Jia Plaza

±±¾©Â·¡¢ÉÏϾš¢Á÷ÐÐÇ°Ïß¡¢ÌìºÓ³Ç¹ã³¡¡¢Öлª¹ã³¡¡¢Õý¼Ñ¹ã³¡

Tourist attractions:

Baiyun Mountain °×ÔÆɽ

Chan Clan temple ³Â¼Òìô

Beijing Lu ±±¾©Â·

Shang Xia Jiu Lu ÉÏϾÅ

Pearl River Cruise Öé½­ÈÕÒ¹ÓÎ

Hang-out:

Taojin Lu ÌÔ½ð·

Yan Jiang Lu Ñؽ­Â·

• 2 weeks later...
I am staying at the Victory hotel and am very happy with this hotel. It is about 3 blocks away from the US consulate and the Internet connection speed is very fast.

Very pleased...... Price: 280RMB per night

Thanks for the great advice.

I thought this price was for the Victory Annex, as opposed to the main hotel.. did you specifically ask for it, didn't know you got this one (Annex) , or am I wrong ?