Fiance visa VS immigrant Visa ( Cr1 vs K3)

Amen to that, Jim.

Maybe this whole process is what makes me so testy. And i apologize to anyone I've "confronted" on this board. I'm no better than anyone else here. I just want to get Wendy here, and get on with the rest of our lives.

I'm sure all of us have faced the scrutiny of choosing to marry someone overseas...with even family members questioning the motives of our fiance(e) or spouse. It's not easy for any of us, but I thought CFL was a place to come together.

So, I will defend my K-1 brothers/sisters...while not claiming any superiority, or criticizing the path taken by those who want to bring their love here by any other means. I just want to understand, and hopefully make things better for someone through my experience.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they just issue a 6 month dating visa with no work permit and requiring a sponsor there would be no need to worry over this. The visa holder and sponsor would be required to report any change in residence. This could probably be processed in a week, would discourage fraud and reduce the consulate work load. If there is a marriage then the AOS would be done.

OK I'm just dreaming. This would reduce government jobs thus damaging the economy and cost incumbants elections because they aren't serious enough about the terrorist threat.

If they just issue a 6 month dating visa with no work permit and requiring a sponsor there would be no need to worry over this. The visa holder and sponsor would be required to report any change in residence. This could probably be processed in a week, would discourage fraud and reduce the consulate work load. If there is a marriage then the AOS would be done.

OK I'm just dreaming. This would reduce government jobs thus damaging the economy and cost incumbants elections because they aren't serious enough about the terrorist threat.

Very good post, Dan.

I think so many of us are so far along in the process that we don't focus much on what would make things beter for those of us who follow in our footsteps. We're tired and frustrated, and maybe (okay, in my eyes, definitely) selfish here after all we've been through.

So, my final post in this category is.

K1 = K3

Bob, I had one of those huge "regret" moments as soon as I sent it.  This is not about you, me, or politics, and I want to apoligize to you in the same forum where I made my mistake.  (PM me if you wanna strap me to the whippin' post, so this topic can return to its original intent.)

Please no regrets and no offense was taken on my part. As far as I'm concerned we are all family here talking around the kitchen table, OK?

If this as well as the other parts of the immigrant visa process could be made easier, I'm sure a lot of fraud would be avoided.

Wouldn't you think this would increase fraud? I thought they were tightening up on past fraud in a sense...

My point is that if immigrant visas were made less confusing, there might not be as much of a need to use K3 or K1 as a means to get a visa fraudulently. Sure some will always abuse the system, but if you can help the legit ones along, they wouldn't pull the "any means nedded" button.

Funny thing is, before I started this, I as one who would just say shut up and stand in line. Funny how that "walk in someone elses shoes" thing goes. :greenblob:

All BS aside- I elected to go I-130/K-3 (for OUR PERSONAL reasons) but FIRMLY believe that these catergories should AT LEAST be processed in a similar timeline as a K-1. Our K-3 sat at MSC for SEVEN months plus and there is no reason that married people should be penalized. Fraud can and is commited in ALL categories of visas. Likewise GZ citing increased "National Security" for our "Family Based Visas" and look speed of the business and student visa processes. They can and DID pose MORE of a threat than a 100 pound Chinese woman. acw

I agree with the bureaucracy of US immigration system. What they should do, if US is really serious about family values, is to give visitor visa to the beneficiary for the duration of the K3 and CR1/IR1 processing time. And the interview would be in US. Or, the Consulate / Embassy should do the background check concurrently as the CIS/NVC processing, and we pay DS-230 fee at time of CIS petition.

It makes me think all these talk about "family values" is just hot air politics, nothing else.

In addition, the current super slo-poke procedure makes me go back and forth to China every 3 months and spend money there instead of spending it domestically in US economy.

I'm willing to bet that the far majority of time is spent with a case folder sitting in a stack in an "in" box waiting to be looked at. Our long stay at CSC was exactly that as was NVC. I even had a porson at USCIS even tell me that. They further proved that by catching up csc shortly after our case was forwarded. The biggest problem is that politician look at the problems with immigration as a problem between the US and Mexico. All other countries don't seem to come up on the radar. I'm not trying to dig any group, but consider this, if someone comes out and speaks against illegal immigration, it is usually Hispanic groups that complain about the comments. All Washinton is interested in is who the potentail voters are and until Asian Americans have a stronger voice, they will most likely be ignored.

It seems most of this discussion is based on the time it takes to get either K1 or K3 visas, and the frustration that builds up because the time is so long, and the process seems so slow.

But I don't think there would be nearly as much frustration or issues, if the time taken at the consulate were in line with most of the other consulates around the world. So I think the real issue why does it take so long for a consulate in China to process either K1 or K3, compared to other countries such as England, Canada, etc.

A quick view of average timelines on visajourney for other consulates show that from NOA2 to Visa, the duration for China is on average 220 days.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

While for many if not most other countries, the duration is below 100 days.

Interestingly enough, the wait from NOA2 to visa is only 20-25 days for countries like Kuwait and Bahrain.

We may never know why the US government, cannot get its act together and process things fairly for us and our loved ones from the worlds most populous country, as compared to most of the other coutries around the world. My guess, is it is just money related. They just can't hire enough competent people to process visas in China, cannot spread the work to the other consulates in China, so a handful of people are left trying to do the work that probably really should require 2 or 3 times the number of people to process them in the same time as the other countries.

I am sure if our wait in for a K1 or K3 visa in China were only 20 days, that we wouldn't need to compare or vote for which one is more fair.

20 days is less time than it too for the consulate to even record that they received our P3 papers!

Tea anyone?

Time to sit back and enjoy some tea ...

- WuLongTea