E-mailing GZ or calling DOS

I'm sure many of you are aware of my feelings about the Guangzhou embassy's method of replying to e-mails and seeming to strive to give as little information as possible. Calling DOS, never seems to be much better. I was sitting here thinking how I'm planning to wait another 24 hours to send my next e-mail because, synically, I want to remain in a good mood tonight and just don't want to be let down again. :unsure: Yes, I am only really looking for a confirmation of them sending out Jen's P4, but above that, the complete lack of information that I ask for and the apparent "canned" response to questions just gives me the feeling that either no one really cares about their jobs, or about those they are supposed to be serving. :lol: Calling DOS, really doesn't go much better.

What I want to ask is, for those that have got info out of these people, what are you asking, and are you following up the original question with others? Also, how much are you holding peoples feet to the fire?

I always use the consulate form from the GZ website, and use the question header of "when will I get my invitation letter" I then follow with a text message. I only get back, "the interview will be sheduled in a few months, and we will contact you". If other questions are posed, they are ignored. Should I aproach this differently?

Calling DOS, I get in so many words, "I don't know". :angry: Followed by something very similar to GZ's response.

Others here have got specific info, and I am curious what you have done to get that? I really wouldn't mind if I was told the interview was still a while away, if I could at least get what seems like a thought out and sincere response. :(

I work with people all day, and though my title may say field service, I never forget that field can be replaced by the word customer. It is my job to work with customers and I feel obligated to answer questions to the best of my ability. How can I get the same respect from those in customer service through out the DOS?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'm actually going to get some real sleep tonight. I'll check back in before beating my head against GZ's wall tomorrow evening.

Sleep well Jim. ( I hope he doesn't try knocking out a tooth, making a wish and leaving it under his pillow.)

I always use the consulate form from the GZ website, and use the question header of "when will I get my invitation letter" I then follow with a text message. I only get back, "the interview will be sheduled in a few months, and we will contact you". If other questions are posed, they are ignored. Should I aproach this differently?

Yes, try using the header of "other" and type your questions in the message text. I have tried this method several times. Sometimes I get a canned response. Sometimes I get an informative response. I guess it really depends on your luck :D

Yes, try using the header of "other" and type your questions in the message text. I have tried this method several times. Sometimes I get a canned response. Sometimes I get an informative response. I guess it really depends on your luck :D

This is advocated by many. Forces GUZ to really read it, to see what it is about.

But DOS will often be a better source of info, IF you get a willing person.

I think that patience is always our best answer...

Feathers268

My own experience, and monitoring others, is that no one has ever gotten an answer that was useful concerning the P4...ever, from emailing Guz.

This leaves calling DOS, which as we know, people there are sometimes more helpful. My question usually was something like this, "Can you tell me the status of my case?". Depending on how they answer this, I might next ask the question like "Is my case waiting for an Interview?". No one has ever gotten more than that, except when they say the date the P4 is sent. I also followed warpbored advice, which is the most helpful people seem to be there on a Tuesday.

And finally, if we look at the data trend, you are not out of line yet. If you were to get a P4 this week, and put your Interview date of say 06/16/05, that would be around 160 days p3 to Inteview and a notice of 37 days....fitting the time lines okay. If this week is a delay week, meaning the total time is going back up to 180 days, that would mean there is still plenty more time to suffer yet. For example, you get a P4 next week, and the Interview is 06/20/05...still fitting the edge of the time lines. Sorry about that, but maybe this helps.

Nooneufo,

what you said above was really helpful...Now I wonder since we are told that our second name check is incompleted which is creating a delay already, you think it will end up being like Zingaro's case? I am really starting to get concerned now. GZ received our P-3 in Feb. 15th. You think can predict a date of the P-4?

I used the "other" approach a lot when I was corresponding with GZ. In most instances, I got an actual timely (not canned) reply. Because of the screw up with Jingwen's P3, I corresponded a lot with the consulate and was beginning to believe that the same person was handling my e-mails. I doubt this was actually the case, but it made me feel better. DOS actually confirmed the interview date for me before GZ confirmed the sending of the P4.

Feathers268

I'll second what nooneufo said and add a few thoughts of my own.

My SO and I have been waiting for our P4 for more than six months now. I have emailed GZ, telephoned the GZ info line, telephoned CIS and telephoned DOS.

-- GZ's email replies were little more than form responses and did not answer my specific (and simple) questions.

-- CIS could only see what GZ already had put on the computer and had no other information.

-- DOS (telephone) offered little more info, but did give a bit more interpretation. It was also DOS that told me what GZ didn't - what date GZ received/logged the P3.

However: DOS also told me that GZ had sent two queries about our name check status. Both queries were dated just after my emails to GZ. So, while GZ didn't give me a satisfactory email reply, they did send inquiries as a result of my email. There does seem to be some value in emailing GZ.

One more bit of advice: Make your questions very specific. Be very pleasant, and matter-of-fact on the phone and in email. If you get no answer or "info not available", telephone on another day and ask the question again.

I fi nd if you call DOS enough times you will eventually get an informative person. I just try to be a nice as pie and a play a little dumb. It seems to work for me. I was able to find out when name checks were done and when it was entered in the computer, and even a little about how they process the application.

Matt