How can this be possible?

I want to make sure that my original point / question is clear...

I meant whether other countries applying for a visa for a Chinese SO...

How does Australia or Germany K-1 visa processing compare for getting their Chinese SOs visa?

I thought I had heard of some country having an interview by phone ??  That is certainly different than us...

I saw that thear too. It was a guy from Australia that had talked about interviewing by phone. Also in the tread, was comments about European contries taking weeks reather than months or years. <_< I cant remember when that was, but I'm sure someone here does. B)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bubba: I believe that.  I think they make the process intentionally long, figuring that some people will just give up along the way.  Part of that may be an effort to eliminate fraud -- they probably figure that if they set the barrier pretty high, potential fraudsters will figure it's too much trouble, and move on to some other next scam.

Not sure that this makes sense, unless specifically aimed at the US... Since I thought I had heard that other countries process faster...

Anyone know of the processes for other countries??

I believe that the U.S. has a greater number of people trying to enter, and so sees a need to set the barriers higher (i.e., make it take an extremely long time, so that a lot of people will give up or never even make the attempt.) I believe the U.S. has no interest in speeding up the process, particularly with regard to China, because China has more fraud and is a communist country.

Government does not equal efficiency.

That said, I think the massive delay is due to many factors:

1. More likely to be a scam (thus need more checks).

2. Limited to one consulate for immigrant visas.

3. Number of applicants

4. China is a communist country ...

You cannot compare China to England because of this. If some knows immigration stats, maybe we can compare to India or maybe Phillipines.

There are a number of different ways to solve the problem, and reduce the wait time. However, i doubt that it will ever become less then 6 months because of #1 and #4.  They could, however, process immigrant visas at several consulates, instead of one. That would eliminate # 2 and #3 to a point.

I agree with your points 1-4, as far as the average time of processing goes. (Of course, there are those unfortunate few who fall between the cracks, as my SO and I seem to have done, but that's another story.)

I haven't looked up a lot of stats from other countries, but I did read somewhere about two years ago that the K-1 process is faster through Pakistan than it is through China. If true, that would be completely upside-down in a post-9/11 world. To my knowledge, no Chinese terrorists have ever blown up US civilian or military targets.

The politics of the situation really is out of our control. But if we can communicate more and more effectively to our elected representatives and to the media, perhaps we can at least effect an increase in efficiency and a decrease in inequity.

Bubba: I believe that.  I think they make the process intentionally long, figuring that some people will just give up along the way.  Part of that may be an effort to eliminate fraud -- they probably figure that if they set the barrier pretty high, potential fraudsters will figure it's too much trouble, and move on to some other next scam.

Not sure that this makes sense, unless specifically aimed at the US... Since I thought I had heard that other countries process faster...

Anyone know of the processes for other countries??

I believe that the U.S. has a greater number of people trying to enter, and so sees a need to set the barriers higher (i.e., make it take an extremely long time, so that a lot of people will give up or never even make the attempt.) I believe the U.S. has no interest in speeding up the process, particularly with regard to China, because China has more fraud and is a communist country.

I understand what your saying.. even the second time around... <_<

I think that large numbers of applications are inherent to 'economy of scale' issues.. if the number of immigrants double, I doubt the govt will double its resources to handle it...

The fact of fraud makes more applications have more fraud possibilities as well... So I agree with the concerns that must exist about this, but I'm not sure if intention delays have been put in for just this... There's many variables to sort out.

I'm not so sure I agree with a 'higher barrier idea', I think the number of applications creates that by itself (and govt staffing not adequate to handle it, which would include a single consulate doing all the visas).

As for the US playing the communist card, I'm not sure about that either.. We've been more and more open in our immigration policy towards China since WWII, thus allowing them to eventually jump pass Europe to the number 2 spot, behind Latin American/Carribean immigrants to the US.

I personally thing that the long delays are from:

1) Number of applicants

2) Single consulate

3) Inefficient govt handling / inability to keep up with demand

Other politically motivated issues could be at play.. I hate politics and try to ignore it when I can.. so that maybe leaves me unaware of some issues.

Government does not equal efficiency.

That said, I think the massive delay is due to many factors:

1. More likely to be a scam (thus need more checks).

2. Limited to one consulate for immigrant visas.

3. Number of applicants

4. China is a communist country ...

You cannot compare China to England because of this. If some knows immigration stats, maybe we can compare to India or maybe Phillipines.

There are a number of different ways to solve the problem, and reduce the wait time. However, i doubt that it will ever become less then 6 months because of #1 and #4.  They could, however, process immigrant visas at several consulates, instead of one. That would eliminate # 2 and #3 to a point.

I agree with your points 1-4, as far as the average time of processing goes. (Of course, there are those unfortunate few who fall between the cracks, as my SO and I seem to have done, but that's another story.)

I might agree with 1-3... clearly believe that faster processing could occur with another consulate involved or more VOs...

I commented on another reply my disagreement on the communist card..

As for more likely scams to needing more checks.. not sure I see this. Where are there more checks ? They're basically looking at papers and forms until the interview and that is a whooping 5 minutes...

and the VO probably doesn't review the packet till the morning of the interview. Since if you don't show up, then why would they waste their time looking even the day before.

If some knows immigration stats, maybe we can compare to India or maybe Phillipines.

I would really like to know this info too. It would be a great talking point when we contact gov't officials.

Visajourney.com has some charts, but one has to scroll forever to read them and they are hard to download/save. Or maybe I just haven't found the right page. Anyone know where we can get stats for comparison?

Hi everyone,

I almost cried myself to sleep last night after being told that the interview might not be scheduled until late September or later. How can this be possible? We sent back the P-3 in February and expected to receive the

P-4 in May or June. This is absolutely crazy! They said that there was a delay in the second name check. I can't believe this! we are both very frustrated now. What else can we do except for waiting?

I know it sucks, but 6 months from return of P3 to interview is normal.

In fact our wait was exactly 6 months to the day. 21-APR-04 to 21-OCT-04. It sucks but it's basically the same for every one. At least you can know that others felt and feel the same pain as you. Hang in there!

... said it had been "pending for some months". But when I asked for dates, she couldn't or wouldn't give them to me.

I've read several other posts describing the same thing. Whether it is official policy to deny us that information, or whether it is just certain people like the lady you talked to, I would call her superiors at DoS to complain about this. Do you know what office she was in?

Talked to DOS again today and actually received one small piece of information that I had not received when I requested it - the date GZ received the P3 from my SO. Hallelujah! I've only been asking for that piece of info for three months.

I don't think it's official policy to deny information. The DOS person I talked to today said our log-in date isn't on the computer. The date our name check was requested isn't on the computer either. She said that info might or might not be available in GZ. She said the volume of info requets they receive is enormous, and makes it difficult for them to respond to email and faxes with specific information. Whatever.

The DOS person did tell me that GZ has sent two requests for case status on the name check, in March and in April (the dates that I requested info from GZ).

The DOS person also told me that the absolute minimum time for a name check and security check is two months. She also told me that the name check and security check are really two separate parts of the same process. She couldn't explain that in detail.

If some knows immigration stats, maybe we can compare to India or maybe Phillipines.

I would really like to know this info too. It would be a great talking point when we contact gov't officials.

Visajourney.com has some charts, but one has to scroll forever to read them and they are hard to download/save. Or maybe I just haven't found the right page. Anyone know where we can get stats for comparison?

According to the DOS person I talked to today, GZ's solution to their traffic control problems is the new building. They're adding a lot of windows and adding visa officers.

Sounds like little more than a band-aid to me, but that's their current solution.

But it's change... when a problem grows, first the consumers complain.. and then eventually the business changes something... there's an adjustment period for all...

It might be 6-12 months before we can fairly say if the change was worth it and to what extent/compromise...

Zingaro, It is interesting that GUZ has asked the status of the name check twice. I know the present thinking here is that the reasons for a name check delay are unfathomable. But, there must be some other department than DOS that you can call to inguire about your "delay."

Zingaro,  It is interesting that  GUZ has asked the status of the name check twice.  I know the present thinking here is that the reasons for a name check delay are unfathomable.  But, there must be some other department than DOS that you can call to inguire about your "delay."

What you say is probably true, but I've had conflicting information and advice from different government sources.

CIS told me to request that GZ cable an inquiry/nudge about our name check. I mentioned this to DOS, and they said that would do no good, and that GZ probably wouldn't do it anyway.

Today, however, DOS (a different person) told me that GZ had sent a couple of inquiries in March and in April. GZ's inquiries coincided with my email inquiries to GZ - although I hadn't requested GZ to send any inquiries.

Everyone I've talked to at GZ, CIS and DOS has acknowledged that our name check is overdue, but concensus among those i've talked to at DOS is that it is impossible for DOS to push the name check process along once it goes off to FBI/CIA/Interpol.

My plan now is to gather as much data as I can so I can include it in letters to my congressman and senators asking them to intervene.

But it's change...  when a problem grows, first the consumers complain.. and then eventually the business changes something...  there's an adjustment period for all...

It might be 6-12 months before we can fairly say if the change was worth it and to what extent/compromise...

Yep, it's a change. I hope for all who travel this path after us that it's a change for the better.