How can this be possible?

Hi everyone,

I almost cried myself to sleep last night after being told that the interview might not be scheduled until late September or later. How can this be possible? We sent back the P-3 in February and expected to receive the

P-4 in May or June. This is absolutely crazy! They said that there was a delay in the second name check. I can't believe this! we are both very frustrated now. What else can we do except for waiting?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When were you told this and by whom? I know GZ is backogged, is moving in June, yada yada, but that is a long wait.

My SO and I sent the P3 to GZ on 10/28/04 ... and we still have not received the P4. I can't even get the consulate, CIS or the DOS to tell me when GZ logged it in, or on what date GZ requested the name check. I am told, however, that the name check is in progress.

Talk about a long wait!! My sympathies to you and yours, truly. Hang in there.

I have to say that I feel for both of you. I have heard that if the name is common in China, like Smith or Jones here, it can take longer to sort out and takes some time. I myself have had them saying our petition is on cue for interview since mid Feb. But the we lingered in NVC as others rolled right through. You also have my sympathies but I can say that reguardless of what they say, people have been surprised after responses like that with p4s. Others have fallen into name check limbo, so keep an eye on this thread and I'm sure more will chime in.

Hang in there and good luck.

Littleturtle,

I highly recommend checking out the timelines of others on the Interview/P3 list. We are only touching the beginning of January "P3 entered into the computer" P3s. The P3-to-Interview wait times for the last six accurate dates provided people are;

145 days

155 days

140 days

176 days

139 days

151 days

153 days

It is a full month to go before any February P3's could possibly expect a P4, if Guz simply keeps plodding along the same way. They have scheduled at least one interview after the projected move in June, so it is still up in the air whether this will really affect things that much more than they have been do far.

With the exception of the horrible delays to Maui & China and Mari from over six months ago, there is only Zingaro who is beyond the time period for everyone else here.

As many people will tell you, what they email you, is not always so. What they tell you is not alway so. Until you are behind the pack, I would not worry yet unless they tell you they have nothing, and even then I would keep checking. Even some people who have been told they are in name delay, have made it in time with their same time group, and there is a lot of time yet before your turn should come around. And you can always check again in a week, to see what a different person has to say at DOS, because we know different people are better than others. I believe it was warpbored who recommend calling on a Tuesday to get the best people.

I don't have you on the list because you don't have a time line.

I advise daily reading at CFL during the wait.

My SO and I sent the P3 to GZ on 10/28/04 ... and we still have not received the P4.

That is quite long. We turned in on 11/8/04. Did u send GUZ email to ask yet?

Yep, it's six months yesterday since we sent the P3 docs back to GZ.

I have emailed GZ twice. Both times, I received replies within 1-2 days. Both replies I received didn't even pretend to answer my question (What date did you log the P3 for processing?) The replies were about as useful as form letters.

After that, I telephoned CIS and got the same information. CIS recommended that I email GZ.

After that, I telephoned the for-pay information center in GZ. I talked to a live person who said the exact same thing the emails had said: "name check incomplete". She recommended that I email GZ.

After that I telephoned DOS. I got the same info all over again, although the woman I spoke with did let a little info slip. She confirmed that GZ had requested a name check, and said it had been "pending for some months". But when I asked for dates, she couldn't or wouldn't give them to me.

I mean - she HAD to be looking at something on her computer display in order to say the name check had been pending for "some months".

My SO's family name is a common name, and I'm aware that there can be delays because of that. Once it gets into name check limbo, I have no idea what recourse I really have to pry it loose.

nooneufo, thanks as always for hanging in there with us, and for the valuable information you generusly provide. I do check in here regularly. I have been a regular on the Asian American Couples BBS for some time, but there was little concrete information there. Actually, it was your timelines that told me we had a problem, as more and more people who had sent in their P3's 1-2 monts after ours begain to receive their P4s, interviews and visas.

My best guess at this point is that someone, either at GZ or in Washington, misplaced or misfiled our paperwork, re-discovered it after an unknown period of time, and put it back in the works. That's both a guess and a hope. If it's lost somewhere at the FBI, I have no idea how to deal with that.

I would try calling different times and days to DOS, as that is probably your best chance at getting someone who will read to you what is on the screen. The next is to ask Mari and Maui & China what they did, as they are the two who have recently been unfortunate to have this happen to them.

I have to say that I feel for both of you. I have heard that if the name is common in China, like Smith or Jones here, it can take longer to sort out and takes some time.

Jim, don't tell me this, my SO's name is Yu. Half the people I met were named Yu (and they weren't her relatives)

WAAAAAAAAH :lol:

Paul,

Just like someone else said here about GZ, take that with a grain of salt. Jen's family name is Zhao which is also common, but she got though namecheck OK, at least she seems to have gotten though. :P

As for calling DOS, I'll relay what I got from Dan R who suggested calling as close to opening time as possible. When they are not busy, sometimes they are willing to talk a bit more.

I guess i just have to be patient and get my fingers crossed and hope for the best. thanks!

If Guangzhou stonewalls you, call Consular Affairs and the Visa Office at the State Dept. in Washington. GZ WILL respond to them and you should get the info you want. And if the State Dept. gets enough complaints, they might put the pressure on GZ to improve, which would help us all.

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary Janice Jacobs

(202) 647-9584

Managing Director Stephen A. Edson

(202) 663-1153

Senior Advisor Diane R. Bean

(202) 663-1155

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20520

Fax: (202) 647-0341

Assistant Secretary of State for C.A. Maura Ann Harty