Pick up visa from Post Office

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are  not discussing London where petitioners whine about a three month wait.  We are talking about a country where major inequalities exist as well as having procedures as dictated by the US which are totally stupid!  No similarities exist here.

Sorry Squid. Your timeline of 243 days compares to my 483 days from NOA1 to interview. Your timeline of 246 days from NOA1 to visa compares to my 484 days.

Many folks are looking at a year. Seems like your very fortunate timeline isn't well appreciated as it should be.

Good luck on interview day to you and yours.

BTW - my point was.....GZ is not the only consulate to use the local mail service to deliver visas. In London, it takes about a week from the interview date; not three days to pick it up.

In London, do they mail the VISA to you, or do they make you go to a post office near the consulate to pick up the VISA?

Let's not let the changes get the best of us already... Let's see what's the best they offer in the new way...

I understand that this type of thing is hard and makes an already baffling process seem more dubious... but let's not get so caught up emotionally over something we have yet to see.

Trying to figure out what this means in normal, but too much conjecture may cause us to go down the wrong paths..

Let's sit tight...

Cheers. I toast with you.

Don, This new change with mailing the visa's only adds another variable. Granted that other offices mail there visa's, but I think in this case it's a little short of notice to begin implimenting right away. Other countries don't expiriance the same amount of delay. Other countries are smaller in both population and sq. mi. The visa is right there in the office. How could it benifit anyone to mail it? It could only benifit GZ. That's not there problem if it gets lost. It's ours. Meanwhile, we hope they didn't forget to mail our visa.

As King Said: "if the visa applicant lives OUTSIDE Guangdong province they must come to Guangzhou to pick up the visa package at the designated post office.

Only applicants who live in Guangdong have the option of picking up the visa in person or having it mailed. "

Not that this completely relieves the issues.. but those people getting the mailing are relatively local at least.

Wow Don,

I haven't calulated my number of days, but March 8 was 366 I hope that yours is a mark I won't pass. :blink:

I don't think too much of this as long as the post office doesn't start handing out refusals after making us wait 3 days. also as long as they don't start sending the visas to the SO's home. Imagine if we had to travel to D.C. just to apply for a visa then go back home to wait for the mail. :angry: As for me, I'd be happy to spend that time with Jen in GZ. :blink:

As King Said:  "if the visa applicant lives OUTSIDE Guangdong province they must come to Guangzhou to pick up the visa package at the designated post office.

Only applicants who live in Guangdong have the option of picking up the visa in person or having it mailed. "

Not that this completely relieves the issues.. but those people getting the mailing are relatively local at least.

David, Maybe that is the case right now, but long term what will it be? It doesn't make any sense at all to mail the visa locally. Doesn't sound right.

I'm not saying if I agree or not.. but to me (if there is going to be any mailing) it makes more sense to at least mail to those local... less chance of screw ups I would think... If your mailing local, then those people can at least go home...

Good point about the long term question... yet another unknown ...

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/

Immigrant Visa Section Begins to Return Visas by Mail

The Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou, China is pleased to announce the inauguration of a courier delivery and pick-up service for all immigrant visas issued from April 27, 2005. Courier delivery will offer convenient and timely return of immigrant visas through the China Post system. Visa recipients from within Guangdong Province will have the option of the Consulate mailing the visas directly to the applicant's home address. The visas may also be picked up at the designated China Post office on Shamian Island in Guangzhou, a short walk from the Consulate. Please note that applicants from outside of Guangdong Province must, for now, pick up their visa packages at the China Post office on Shamian Island near the Consulate. All immigrant visa recipients must use the China Post system for return of the visas. There will be a modest charge for this service. Details will be provided to each visa recipient on the day of their interview.

ahhh ok, got it. Still think it sucks.

Don,

I think it is a reaction out of fear of the unknown and is a typical human reaction. Also a general distrust in this whole process. My thought would be, it is fine as long as the pick up remains in GZ, if they do eventually go to country wide mailing, use UPS or Fed Ex. At least we could keep the acountability with an American company. I just looked at it as a possible change of plans, and maybe having to cope with coming back home first if Jen had to go home and wait for the mail. But # days in CZ is cool with me. :D

Seems like folks should be grateful rather than ranting.

We need to rant. It's very therapeutic :D

I am grateful for this country but that doesn't mean I don't think the DOS bureaucracy doesn't deserve some slaps with a wet mop :P

I think ranting is fine too, I've done my share here. If they don't give my Jennifer her p4 soon, I'll have to run off and do some more. :D

30 lashes with a wet mop I say!