Checklist Cover Letter

Hi all ... just got a checklist cover letter from NVCGuangzhou. They say they received my I-864, but are still waiting on my Ds-230s and corresponding civil documents. I have no clue what these 'civil documents' are. Do they mean Police report? The checklist is not a list, only 'civil documents'. Here is a quote from it ...

The NVC has received the requested Affidavit of Support form (I-864) for this case. However, we are

still waiting for the Immigrant Visa Application (DS-230) and corresponding civil documents for each

traveling applicant to be returned to National Visa Center for review. You will find the DS-230 form

along with complete instructions for submitting the civil documentation required for this case at

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov under the Applicant Document Processing link.

We urge you to send in the DS-230 form(s) and required civil documentation for each traveling family

member in one package to the National Visa Center (NVC). Sending the information in separately may

cause delays in the processing of the case.

______CORRESPONDENCE INSTRUCTIONS:_________________________________

All forms and documents that we request and require from you should be scanned and e-mailed to the

NVC as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The applicant must present all original forms and

documents to the Consular officer at the visa interview. Failure to present the required originals at the

visa interview will result in a denial or delay in obtaining a visa for the sponsored applicant.

Any questions regarding your petition should continue to be directed to NVCGuangzhou@state.gov.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all ... just got a checklist cover letter from NVCGuangzhou. They say they received my I-864, but are still waiting on my Ds-230s and corresponding civil documents. I have no clue what these 'civil documents' are. Do they mean Police report? The checklist is not a list, only 'civil documents'. Here is a quote from it ...

The NVC has received the requested Affidavit of Support form (I-864) for this case. However, we are

still waiting for the Immigrant Visa Application (DS-230) and corresponding civil documents for each

traveling applicant to be returned to National Visa Center for review. You will find the DS-230 form

along with complete instructions for submitting the civil documentation required for this case at

We urge you to send in the DS-230 form(s) and required civil documentation for each traveling family

member in one package to the National Visa Center (NVC). Sending the information in separately may

All forms and documents that we request and require from you should be scanned and e-mailed to the

NVC as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The applicant must present all original forms and

documents to the Consular officer at the visa interview. Failure to present the required originals at the

visa interview will result in a denial or delay in obtaining a visa for the sponsored applicant.

Any questions regarding your petition should continue to be directed to NVCGuangzhou@state.gov.

We got the same email as we just finished IR5 for my wife's parents.

Doucments that used to be turned into GUZ are now being collected by the NVC.

These are items like marriage cert, birth cert, police report... etc.

Here is a link describing which documents.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Also, send in the passport photographs as well. Even though she will take them to the interview, they want to see them before hand.

You don't have to wait for them to be mailed to you. Have someone in China scan them in and email them. Just make sure they send it to you in PDF format.

This is the reason they recommend having access to scanner both in US and China when you opt into electronic processing.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

We got the same email as we just finished IR5 for my wife's parents.

Doucments that used to be turned into GUZ are now being collected by the NVC.

These are items like marriage cert, birth cert, police report... etc.

Here is a link describing which documents.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Also, send in the passport photographs as well. Even though she will take them to the interview, they want to see them before hand.

You don't have to wait for them to be mailed to you. Have someone in China scan them in and email them. Just make sure they send it to you in PDF format.

This is the reason they recommend having access to scanner both in US and China when you opt into electronic processing.

Hello C4Racer,

I read many posts that posted. Thank you so much for your support!

I have a question about Electronically Processing: Do I have to scan all the required forms (such as DS-230, I-864), documents (such as, applicant's birth cert, marriage cert, photocopy of passport data page, police cert, petitioner's birth cert, marriage cert) and save them into ONE PDF file?

Thank you very much!

Hello C4Racer,

I have a question about Electronically Processing: Do I have to scan all the required forms (such as DS-230, I-864), documents (such as, applicant's birth cert, marriage cert, photocopy of passport data page, police cert, petitioner's birth cert, marriage cert) and save them into ONE PDF file?

Thank you very much!

A question there also - do they specify somewhere that it should be a pdf file, or would a jpeg or other format work also?

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

A question there also - do they specify somewhere that it should be a pdf file, or would a jpeg or other format work also?

Yes, they have to be in PDF format. "Under the electronic pilot program all forms that you must submit to the NVC must be completed in English and will be submitted as Portable Document Format (PDF) files."

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

I believe I read that they will accept ONLY PDF files-no other format. See this link for more info: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4409.html

However, I have a question of my own if someone can answer it...We've emailed to OPTIN for the electronic processing for our CR-1 in Guangzhou, and attached our DS-3032 to the email as was directed. Now, we haven't received any confirmation email back, or our new electronic processing case number which should start with GZO.

Do we wait until we get that new case number to email our documents like the I-864 and tax returns, etc., before we email the documents, or can we begin emailing the documents now while using the old case number. Our AOS and IV fees have already been confirmed as paid.

Thanks,

Splinterman

Edited by splinterman (see edit history)

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

I believe I read that they will accept ONLY PDF files-no other format. See this link for more info: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4409.html

However, I have a question of my own if someone can answer it...We've emailed to OPTIN for the electronic processing for our CR-1 in Guangzhou, and attached our DS-3032 to the email as was directed. Now, we haven't received any confirmation email back, or our new electronic processing case number which should start with GZO.

Do we wait until we get that new case number to email our documents like the I-864 and tax returns, etc., before we email the documents, or can we begin emailing the documents now while using the old case number. Our AOS and IV fees have already been confirmed as paid.

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

This is not really an answer ... just the way I did it. I opted in and waited to e-mail anything until I heard from them. After a while I went to the USCIS website to check my reciepts for fees already paid and found I couldnt log in ... I called them up and they told me I had a new GZO case number. Thats why I couldnt log in. A few days later my e-mail confirmation with my GZO number came. I'd say maybe give them a call. It will come, its just a matter of how long they take to get it to you. Hope this is some help to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

This is not really an answer ... just the way I did it. I opted in and waited to e-mail anything until I heard from them. After a while I went to the USCIS website to check my reciepts for fees already paid and found I couldnt log in ... I called them up and they told me I had a new GZO case number. Thats why I couldnt log in. A few days later my e-mail confirmation with my GZO number came. I'd say maybe give them a call. It will come, its just a matter of how long they take to get it to you. Hope this is some help to you.

Hi Splinterman,

Have you got new case number starting with GZO? it took me about 13 business days even though I called them a couple of times.

I agree with Appaullo's suggestion. I opted in Electronic processing, and paid AOS fee with the old GUZ number, and waited for the new GZO number. One day ( 13 days after I opted into the electronic process) I could not log in to the system to check the fees ( that's good thing) I called NVC, they told me my new case number, even though now I have not received email about the new case number.

I checked my AOS Document Cover Sheet is also converted to GZO from GUZ number. That' really good.

During the waiting period, you may work on the documents, such as birth cert, marriage cert, police cert etc., because these docuemnts may take pretty much time.

Best wishes!

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Have you got new case number starting with GZO? it took me about 13 business days even though I called them a couple of times.

I agree with Appaullo's suggestion. I opted in Electronic processing, and paid AOS fee with the old GUZ number, and waited for the new GZO number. One day ( 13 days after I opted into the electronic process) I could not log in to the system to check the fees ( that's good thing) I called NVC, they told me my new case number, even though now I have not received email about the new case number.

I checked my AOS Document Cover Sheet is also converted to GZO from GUZ number. That' really good.

During the waiting period, you may work on the documents, such as birth cert, marriage cert, police cert etc., because these docuemnts may take pretty much time.

Best wishes!

An update to what happened with our petition is that I never received any information from the NVC on our change of case number. I ended up calling the NVC to find out this info.

Once I had the new case number starting with GZO I began emailing our documents to the NVC. I sent several emails to them, none of them being compressed or ZIP files. I labeled each of them as Petitioner or Beneficiary documents. In the body of the emails I made sure our case number, names, dates of births were there and also a description of the files that were attached.

For my wife, I sent them her birth certificate, marriage certificate, her one previous divorce certificate, a copy of her passport biographics page, her police certificate and a simple passport-type photo of her. All of her documents also had English translations.

For my documents I emailed them copies of my previous divorce certs, my birth certificate and the I-864 and supporting documents. That was it from my end.

All attached files were in PDF format as that was what they specificed.

I called the NVC about one week later to make sure everything was received and the operator told me that I would be getting an email from them telling me that I needed to send them a P3 Supplemental Information Sheet to complete our file. I got the email from them the following day with that info and a link where to find it, but by then I had already found it, completed a copy and emailed it to my wife for her signature, and she emailed it back to me.

Their email came with a cover sheet that they specified had to be returned with the P3 form, so I followed their instruction and sent it back to them. I noticed that in the bottom corner of their cover sheet there were someone's initials and I assume they belong to the caseworker for our case. I sent it back to them about 2 weeks ago and heard nothing from them, so I called the NVC on Monday 2 Nov and the operator told me they had received it but had not applied it to the case yet. She also told me that they usually take one day out and do nothing but process email submissions, so check back with them next Monday. That's where it is at the moment.

Make sure your beneficiary has an original signed copy of the P3 form AND that document cover sheet that came with the email request from the NVC for that form, and that they take ALL of them to their interview!

A friend who is also going through this process said that it took the NVC about 4 weeks to process everything and then a few more days after that for the NVC to give him their interview date in an email. The NVC seems to be really slow about sending out email status reports or RFI's-it's faster to call them and ask the operator to check on your case than to simply wait for them to email you.

One last question somebody had that I saw in a previous posting regarding the electronic processing, is that you cannot start emailing any documents to them until you've gotten the new GZO number AND you send the OPTIN email request. You need that GZO number to place into your OPTIN request, and it MUST go into the Subject line of the email for the NVC to be able to quickly identify it. Once you get the confirmation email from the NVC on the electronic processing acceptance, you can THEN begin sending them your documents. I don't think it matters how many emails you send them with your documents, as long as you ensure that your GZO number is somewhere in the body or subject line of each email so your case is readily indentified.

Hope this helps.

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Best wishes!

An update to what happened with our petition is that I never received any information from the NVC on our change of case number. I ended up calling the NVC to find out this info.

Once I had the new case number starting with GZO I began emailing our documents to the NVC. I sent several emails to them, none of them being compressed or ZIP files. I labeled each of them as Petitioner or Beneficiary documents. In the body of the emails I made sure our case number, names, dates of births were there and also a description of the files that were attached.

For my wife, I sent them her birth certificate, marriage certificate, her one previous divorce certificate, a copy of her passport biographics page, her police certificate and a simple passport-type photo of her. All of her documents also had English translations.

For my documents I emailed them copies of my previous divorce certs, my birth certificate and the I-864 with supporting documents. That was it from my end.

I called the NVC about one week later to make sure everything was received and the operator told me that I would be getting an email from them telling me that I needed to send them a P3 Supplemental Information Sheet to complete our file. I got the email from them the following day with that info and a link where to find it, but by then I had already found it, completed a copy and emailed it to my wife for her signature, and she emailed it back to me.

Their email came with a cover sheet that they specified had to be returned with the P3 form, so I followed their instruction and sent it back to them. I noticed that in the bottom corner of their cover sheet there were someone's initials and I assume they belong to the caseworker for our case. I sent it back to them about 2 weeks ago and heard nothing from them, so I called the NVC on Monday 2 Nov and the operator told me they had received it but had not applied it to the case yet. She also told me that they usually take one day out and do nothing but process email submissions, so check back with them next Monday. That's where it is at the moment.

Make sure your beneficiary has an original signed copy of the P3 form AND that document cover sheet that came with the email request from the NVC for that form, and that they take ALL of them to their interview!

A friend who is also going through this process said that it took the NVC about 4 weeks to process everything and then a few more days after that for the NVC to give him their interview date in an email. The NVC seems to be really slow about sending out email status reports or RFI's-it's faster to call them and ask the operator to check on your case than to simply wait for them to email you.

One last question somebody had that I saw in a previous posting regarding the electronic processing, is that you cannot start emailing any documents to them until you've gotten the new GZO number AND you send the OPTIN email request. You need that GZO number to place into your OPTIN request, and it MUST go into the Subject line of the email for the NVC to be able to quickly identify it. Once you get the confirmation email from the NVC on the electronic processing acceptance, you can THEN begin sending them your documents. I don't think it matters how many emails you send them with your documents, as long as you ensure that your GZO number is somewhere in the body or subject line of each email so your case is readily indentified.

Hope this helps.

I also want to mention something that everyone has to be in their guard about, in regards to printing the receipts for the AOS and IV Fee bills.

Make sure that when you print the receipts for these payments, you are printing the receipt showing that the particular bill is PAID!!! Don't print the one showing that the payment is In Process!! Your beneficiary MUST have these receipts with them at the time of their interview, so make sure you print the receipt at the right time and it shows the fee is PAID!

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Best wishes!

For my documents I emailed them copies of my previous divorce certs, my birth certificate and the I-864 with supporting documents. That was it from my end.

Hope this helps.

I also want to mention something that everyone has to be in their guard about, in regards to printing the receipts for the AOS and IV Fee bills.

Make sure that when you print the receipts for these payments, you are printing the receipt showing that the particular bill is PAID!!! Don't print the one showing that the payment is In Process!! Your beneficiary MUST have these receipts with them at the time of their interview, so make sure you print the receipt at the right time and it shows the fee is PAID!

Hello splinterman,

Thank you so much for reminder me print the receipt.

Best wishes!

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Best wishes!

For my documents I emailed them copies of my previous divorce certs, my birth certificate and the I-864 and supporting documents. That was it from my end.

Hope this helps.

Hello splinterman,

You said: "Make sure your beneficiary has an original signed copy of the P3 form AND that document cover sheet that came with the email request from the NVC for that form, and that they take ALL of them to their interview!"

is it "Packet 3 Supplemental Information Sheet"? May I email it with all DS-230 and supporting documents together to NVC?

Best wishes!

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Best wishes!

Hope this helps.

Hello splinterman,

You said: "Make sure your beneficiary has an original signed copy of the P3 form AND that document cover sheet that came with the email request from the NVC for that form, and that they take ALL of them to their interview!"

is it "Packet 3 Supplemental Information Sheet"? May I email it with all DS-230 and supporting documents together to NVC?

Best wishes!

Yes it is, and yes you may email it with the DS-230 and other documents to the NVC. Just make sure your hunnie has an original copy of the form when they go to their interview.

I had emailed my wife the form and also placed the questions on a 2nd sheet of paper so there was more room for her to write her answers. Then I told her to sign and date the form and scan and email it back to me, but to keep the one she had safe because she will have to exchange it for the copy of this form I was snail mailing to her with all the other documents that she will need to take to her interview.

Once you have submitted all the forms and the NVC processes them into your file you will receive this email:

Dear Sir/Madam:

All documentation necessary to complete the National Visa Center's processing of your case has been received. As soon as an interview date has been scheduled, the applicant, petitioner and attorney (if applicable) will be notified.

The applicant should NOT make any travel arrangements, sell property, or give up employment until the US Embassy or Consulate General has issued a visa.

The US Embassy or Consulate General may require additional documentation at the time of the interview.

Regards,

NVC Document Review Team

National Visa Center

Serco Inc, Support Contractor

NVCGuangzhou@state.gov

Hello C4Racer,

Thank you very much!

Thanks,

Splinterman

Splinterman,

Hi Splinterman,

Best wishes!

Hope this helps.

Hello splinterman,

Best wishes!

Yes it is, and yes you may email it with the DS-230 and other documents to the NVC. Just make sure your hunnie has an original copy of the form when they go to their interview.

I had emailed my wife the form and also placed the questions on a 2nd sheet of paper so there was more room for her to write her answers. Then I told her to sign and date the form and scan and email it back to me, but to keep the one she had safe because she will have to exchange it for the copy of this form I was snail mailing to her with all the other documents that she will need to take to her interview.

Once you have submitted all the forms and the NVC processes them into your file you will receive this email:

Dear Sir/Madam:

All documentation necessary to complete the National Visa Center's processing of your case has been received. As soon as an interview date has been scheduled, the applicant, petitioner and attorney (if applicable) will be notified.

The applicant should NOT make any travel arrangements, sell property, or give up employment until the US Embassy or Consulate General has issued a visa.

The US Embassy or Consulate General may require additional documentation at the time of the interview.

Regards,

NVC Document Review Team

National Visa Center

Serco Inc, Support Contractor

NVCGuangzhou@state.gov

Hello Splinterman.

Thank you so much for your update!

How many days did it take to get the above letter from NVC after you submitted all documents.

Thanks a lot!

Hailong