K-1 Application results

I don't know what I have to say that is that useful for anyone else, but we'll see.

First, I'd recommend staying in the rooms there next to the interview site. The managers are very helpful, and have useful advice/support. At the very least, they have a calming effect.

The day I arrived, the night before the interview, we went to see the manager. He had already looked over the documents she had brought and pronounced them "excellent". He had some suggestions about arranging them that I wasn't really clear on. He said one person had pretty good success by spreading all the different groups of documents/pictures out on the counter so the VO could point to which ones s/he wanted to see closer. He also said that he shook the hands of the successful people, receiving their good luck, and that he always passes that good luck on to the new arrivals with a handshake, provided they return the luck to him with a handshake afterwards. Everyone knew it was nonsense...but it seemed to help my SO's mental state. Then he said:

The most important thing is: don't be nervous. The second most important thing is: don't be nervous. The third most important thing is: don't be nervous. Plus, answer the question. Don't try to guess what answer they are looking for, just be completely honest. If you don't know, just say "I don't know". He had a few examples of someone trying to fudge an answer because they felt a little silly saying "I don't know", or by trying to reassure the VO, but that fudged answer left them open to a follow-up question that clearly showed they weren't being totally honest, and then they got denied.

On 001, they say that Window #27 VO is the new "Black Pearl", as in a really tough questioner. He has braces, and is called "Yatou" (if I recall correctly) for that reason. My SO said he has a very kindly face, and that makes it hit harder when he suddenly turns grim.

As he did with her.

I have a somewhat-sensitive position in the US military. I can't tell her about my job, obviously, and haven't. She trusts me. So the first few questions were light and easy:

How did you meet?

So you were his teacher on his first trip to China?

You know he's been divorced 3 times?

Do you know his job? "U.S. Air Force"

At this point, he's typing furiously, looking stuff up online. Up to this point, everything has been in English. But she doesn't understand an English word in the next question, and asks for a translator, who also doesn't know the word.

Do you know he does [something sensitive/Intelligence]? "I know he does something with Intelligence, but that's all I know."

You've known him for 8 years, you are planning to get married, and you don't know what he does? "We haven't discussed it that much. I don't know. It doesn't matter to me."

My SO never really understood the term he was trying to use, it was apparently technical in nature, or jargon. At this point, he's looking very tough/upset. He turns off the mic and calls in his supervisor. They apparently argue for several minutes. According to my SO, #27 is always very polite, a few times he turns on the mic to apologize and thank her for her patience. I think the supervisor asks her if she knows what I do.

After the discussion, #27 turns the mic back on and says with an extremely serious expression, "I'm going to ask you once more, this is very important: do you know what he does, exactly?" She answered, "I don't know".

He looks displeased and continues typing furiously. At this point she's been standing there for 15 minutes. The interviewees at the other windows come and go...more than 4 at each one. She knows at this point she's not going to get it.

Then he says, looking unhappy about it, "Congratulations. Your visa is approved. Go pay at the window, and it will be available for pickup in 2 days by 9am."

My SO wanted me to point out that although #27 has a reputation for being extremely tough, she admires him for his diligence and sense of responsibility. He obviously felt uncomfortable with our engagement considering my work situation, but followed the rules. He obviously took his reponsibility for protecting the U.S. very seriously, but did not let his personal feelings obstruct from giving the visa when he had no reason to doubt the validity of our relationship. So tell your SO, if s/he gets #27, it might be tough, but it will be fair.

The visa was available to be picked up by 4pm the following day, earlier than expected.

So now I'm going back in July to pick her up, and then get married as soon as we get back. We're in the perfect place for a honeymoon, eh?

Guest pushbrk

The visa was available to be picked up by 4pm the following day, earlier than expected.

So now I'm going back in July to pick her up, and then get married as soon as we get back.  We're in the perfect place for a honeymoon, eh?

224206[/snapback]

Great report. Tanfastic. Have a wonderful wedding.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

http://bergoiata.org/gif/Feu4.gif

Congratulations !!

http://tinypic.com/erfmns.gif

Thanks for all the congratulations.

If anyone has any questions, better ask 'em now. Before I forget.

Oh, yeah: my impression was that I could go into the Consulate with her, just not to the interview window. Wrong.

And Diet Coke (pronounced "Coke Light" in Guangzhou-style English) is 15 RMB (about $2) at the coffee shop.

Your SO will go in at one point, but the exit point is at the opposite corner of the coffee shop. So position yourself to greet them.

Interview time seems to have nothing to do with your place in the line outside. We were about 40th in line outside, but she was called long before the SO of someone I met in the coffeeshop who was at about 20th in the same (7:15) line. When we left, his SO still hadn't come out. For what it is worth.

I don't know what I have to say that is that useful for anyone else, but we'll see.

First, I'd recommend staying in the rooms there next to the interview site.  The managers are very helpful, and have useful advice/support.  At the very least, they have a calming effect.

The day I arrived, the night before the interview, we went to see the manager. He had already looked over the documents she had brought and pronounced them "excellent".  He had some suggestions about arranging them that I wasn't really clear on.  He said one person had pretty good success by spreading all the different groups of documents/pictures out on the counter so the VO could point to which ones s/he wanted to see closer.  He also said that he shook the hands of the successful people, receiving their good luck, and that he always passes that good luck on to the new arrivals with a handshake, provided they return the luck to him with a handshake afterwards.  Everyone knew it was nonsense...but it seemed to help my SO's mental state.  Then he said:

The most important thing is: don't be nervous.  The second most important thing is: don't be nervous.  The third most important thing is: don't be nervous.  Plus, answer the question.  Don't try to guess what answer they are looking for, just be completely honest.  If you don't know, just say "I don't know".  He had a few examples of someone trying to fudge an answer because they felt a little silly saying "I don't know", or by trying to reassure the VO, but that fudged answer left them open to a follow-up question that clearly showed they weren't being totally honest, and then they got denied.

On 001, they say that Window #27 VO is the new "Black Pearl", as in a really tough questioner.  He has braces, and is called "Yatou" (if I recall correctly) for that reason.  My SO said he has a very kindly face, and that makes it hit harder when he suddenly turns grim.

As he did with her.

I have a somewhat-sensitive position in the US military.  I can't tell her about my job, obviously, and haven't.  She trusts me.  So the first few questions were light and easy:

How did you meet?

So you were his teacher on his first trip to China?

You know he's been divorced 3 times?

Do you know his job? "U.S. Air Force"

At this point, he's typing furiously, looking stuff up online.  Up to this point, everything has been in English.  But she doesn't understand an English word in the next question, and asks for a translator, who also doesn't know the word.

Do you know he does [something sensitive/Intelligence]? "I know he does something with Intelligence, but that's all I know."

You've known him for 8 years, you are planning to get married, and you don't know what he does?  "We haven't discussed it that much.  I don't know.  It doesn't matter to me."

My SO never really understood the term he was trying to use, it was apparently technical in nature, or jargon.  At this point, he's looking very tough/upset.  He turns off the mic and calls in his supervisor.  They apparently argue for several minutes.  According to my SO, #27 is always very polite, a few times he turns on the mic to apologize and thank her for her patience.  I think the supervisor asks her if she knows what I do.

After the discussion, #27 turns the mic back on and says with an extremely serious expression, "I'm going to ask you once more, this is very important: do you know what he does, exactly?"  She answered, "I don't know".

He looks displeased and continues typing furiously.  At this point she's been standing there for 15 minutes.  The interviewees at the other windows come and go...more than 4 at each one.  She knows at this point she's not going to get it.

Then he says, looking unhappy about it, "Congratulations.  Your visa is approved.  Go pay at the window, and it will be available for pickup in 2 days by 9am."

My SO wanted me to point out that although #27 has a reputation for being extremely tough, she admires him for his diligence and sense of responsibility.  He obviously felt uncomfortable with our engagement considering my work situation, but followed the rules.  He obviously took his reponsibility for protecting the U.S. very seriously, but did not let his personal feelings obstruct from giving the visa when he had no reason to doubt the validity of our relationship.  So tell your SO, if s/he gets #27, it might be tough, but it will be fair.

So now I'm going back in July to pick her up, and then get married as soon as we get back.  We're in the perfect place for a honeymoon, eh?

224206[/snapback]

Yes, thank you for the details - they can be very important to several of us. Oh, but there is one question I have. You're in the military, right ... I always thought what it is you do for the military and the military were not possible together - believe it's called an oxymoron, is that an affirmative? Kidding, just kidding. But not kidding about this - you guys have a great life and enjoy each other at all times. Wheel Man, out.

Yes, thank you for the details - they can be very important to several of us. Oh, but there is one question I have. You're in the military, right ... I always thought what it is you do for the military and the military were not possible together -  believe it's called an oxymoron, is that an affirmative? Kidding, just kidding. But not kidding about this - you guys have a great life and enjoy each other at all times. Wheel Man, out.

224278[/snapback]

It's not actually an oxymoron...it's just that most military people don't want to have anything to do with anything intelligent, so they compartmentalize and limit it. Like it was a biologoical contaminant.

:)