The "Single Status" document needed...

Hello,
I am helping a friend. I have forgotten (it has been so long) where the "single status" document has to be sent before it is legal to use in China to marry. I cannot seem to find it here? Can somebody point me in the direction to read about this process?
Thanks,
Scott

scott...

here some comments in the FAQ Visa; sounds like it can be gotten from the states or while in china. Note the date issue to be careful about:

Q.1.12 Does it matter where we get married in China?

A.1.12.1

I believe Chinese people can only register for marriage in the place of their hukou (household register). That should be the same place where their dangan (file) is kept.

A.1.12.2

My wife and I had to travel to Zhengzhou, the capital Of Henan province. From what I am led to believe. She has to register in the capital of her home province. The little red book you both will receive is actually your marriage papers. The ceremony isn't actually needed.

you will need a certificate of marriage eligibility. I went to the US Embassy in Beijing to obtain this. since I have never been married, mine was straight forward. Cost me around $30usd. Had to listen to lecture about how women fraudulently lure men to china. Raised my right hand and swore my information was true. Ordeal took about 40 minutes

A.1.12.3

Because you are a foreigner, you must go to the provincial capital to register the marriage and say the marriage oath...in Chinese. Then you must register in your SO's hometown as well.

When you get the eligibility certificate be sure they write the date with written months (ex: 1 JAN 2004). I had to get one twice when we got married in Feb 2004 because the local marriage office read the date on the cert. as expired. We got the first cert. on Nov. 4 2003 (11 4 2003 ) but they read it as April 11 2003...more than six months old...no good! But because the date was only done in numbers, we had no choice but to fly to Guangzhou (the nearest consulate) then fly back the same day to get it right.

More than 300 bucks just because of a little date.

A.1.12.4

More info:

Direct Consular Filing in China; Marriage explained

http://www.kamya.com/intro/dcf.html#CH

Information on Procedure for Authentication of Chinese Documents

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/cons/auth.html

scott...

here some comments in the FAQ Visa; sounds like it can be gotten from the states or while in china.  Note the date issue to be careful about:

Q.1.12 Does it matter where we get married in China?

A.1.12.1

I believe Chinese people can only register for marriage in the place of their hukou (household register). That should be the same place where their dangan (file) is kept.

A.1.12.2

My wife and I had to travel to Zhengzhou, the capital Of Henan province.    From what I am led to believe. She has to register in the capital of her home province. The little red book you both will receive is actually your marriage papers. The ceremony isn't actually needed.

you will need a certificate of marriage eligibility. I went to the US Embassy in Beijing to obtain this. since I have never been married, mine was straight forward. Cost me around $30usd. Had to listen to lecture about how women fraudulently lure men to china. Raised my right hand and swore my information was true. Ordeal took about 40 minutes

A.1.12.3

Because you are a foreigner, you must go to the provincial capital to register the marriage and say the marriage oath...in Chinese. Then you must register in your SO's hometown as well.

When you get the eligibility certificate be sure they write the date with written months (ex: 1 JAN 2004). I had to get one twice when we got married in Feb 2004 because the local marriage office read the date on the cert. as expired. We got the first cert. on Nov. 4 2003 (11 4 2003 ) but they read it as April 11 2003...more than six months old...no good! But because the date was only done in numbers, we had no choice but to fly to Guangzhou (the nearest consulate) then fly back the same day to get it right.

More than 300 bucks just because of a little date.

A.1.12.4

More info:

Direct Consular Filing in China; Marriage explained

http://www.kamya.com/intro/dcf.html#CH

Information on Procedure for Authentication of Chinese Documents

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/cons/auth.html

161216[/snapback]

David,

Is there something on CFL about getting the papers prepared in the states? I did this but have forgotten who all had to "sign off" on it before it could go to the chinese embassy here in the states..... I certainly do not remember the offices it had to be sent to?

Scott

Here's one more link.. from the US Embassy in China, on marrying in china and the "certification of marriageability":

Getting Married in China:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/us-citizen/mrginfo.html

---

unfortunately this does not answer your question, how to do in states.. but continues to drive home that one might as well do it in China.. since it is very easy to do and needs to be translated to chinese anyway.

---

Hopefully , someone can chime in on the state side paper preparations..

Dear M-Coon:

I found it very easy to get a "Single Status" statement when we needed one by contacting one of the Chinese visa companies. I used "VisaRite" and the person who helped me was David Song.

He prepared a Statement; got it notarized and approved by the Chinese Embassy (I'm not sure it actually has to be translated) and the Chinese official who married us didn't bat an eye-lash. I think it cost $50 or thereabouts.

I did all this in the US before I left for China to get married and I believe that is the best way to do it.

You can contact David Song at visarite@optonline.net

Contact me if you have any problems -- it is actually a piece of cake.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)
Dear M-Coon:

I found it very easy to get a "Single Status" statement when we needed one by contacting one of the Chinese visa companies.  I used "VisaRite" and the person who helped me was David Song.

He prepared a Statement; got it notarized and approved by the Chinese Embassy (I'm not sure it actually has to be translated) and the Chinese official who married us didn't bat an eye-lash.  I think it cost $50 or thereabouts.

I did all this in the US before I left for China to get married and I believe that is the best way to do it.

You can contact David Song at visarite@optonline.net

Contact me if you have any problems -- it is actually a piece of cake.

161231[/snapback]

Ok guy, you must listen to me. Having just married my wife in China and having freshly gone through the process I belive I have the most accurate input on this. So, /clears throat, excuse me everybody =)~

My wife and I marriend in Shenyang, all we had to do, go to the american embassy, note, you will be able to go in, but your fiance will not. but have her stay very near to the embassy. You will go in and take a number after declaring what your business is , have a seat and relax a minute. Your number will be called, you will go to the consul and he will ask your business, tell him you wish to get a single testamony so you can marry your finace. He will ask you some questions about your fiance, her name, the name of any children she may have. Then he/she will ask if your fiance can be seen also. At this point, the consul will have a runner go to the front and call for her, she will be permitted to enter and she will be interviewed , seperate from you, so make sure she is on the same page eh? My fiance and I had no problem doing this. I raised my hand swore I was not otherwise married and got it. It cost somemoney, my fiance paid it so I really dont know what it was, 30 bucks usa? From there we went to the marriage liscence office, now I remember one thing, my fiance paid out dearly 100 yuans after another it seemed like thousands to expidite the process. After about 2 or 3 hours, you will have it all done and be married. Take the time to chat with other folks getting married, My wife and I made some wonderful friends were gonna keep in contact with. I hope this helps. I thought it would be hard as heck but now were serperated waiting for uscis but otherwise hapilly married.

I had my "Certificate of Eligibility to Marry" prepared at the Biejing US Embassy. There, your so cannot go in. I went in, went through security. I told the agent that I needed a certificate of eligibility to marry. I filled out a form. I had to go back out side and retrieve my so's Chinese ID. So save a step, take it in with you.

After the paper work was done, in a matter of moments. I paid a fee in RMB, it equalled about $35 us. The Agent then lectured me , and told me horror stories about western men being duped. I ensured the nice chinese lady I wouldn't sell my home to pay for any surguries.

I was told to raise my right hand, I then took an oath that all my information was true and accurate. I then waited a few more moments, was handed my single page affividavit, and told good luck. The whole thing took about 40 minutes.

The document will then have to be translated to Mandirin. We went to the capital city of so's province. After arriving at the proper place. We were told where we could go to get my paper translated, and them accept it. It was fairly quick process. I think it took about 20 minutes, a little cash. and we were handed "Little Red Books" Everyone in the office congratulated us.

Just remember, dress business casuall, be courteous.

All of this , is if your friend has never been married