Straight From The Horses Mouth

After waiting on hold for an hour, I was finally able to speak to an immigration officer at the USCIS. She gave me the following AOS instructions for K-1 Visa Holders.

1. The 90 day K1 deadline only applies to the time in which you must get married... not apply.

2. K1 visa holders do not need a medical check-up by a civil surgeon, because it was already completed prior to receiving the visa. My wife still has her x-rays from GUZ, which the immigration officer told me to bring to her AOS interview.

3. I was told to only submit the I-485, I-864, and G-325A to the USCIS PO Box in Chicago.

That's all. I couldn't believe it, so I went over everything with the officer again. For those who have been through the AOS process, does this sound right?

After waiting on hold for an hour, I was finally able to speak to an immigration officer at the USCIS.  She gave me the following AOS instructions for K-1 Visa Holders.

1.  The 90 day K1 deadline only applies to the time in which you must get married... not apply.

2.  K1 visa holders do not need a medical check-up by a civil surgeon, because it was already completed prior to receiving the visa.  My wife still has her x-rays from GUZ, which the immigration officer told me to bring to her AOS interview.

3.  I was told to only submit the I-485, I-864, and G-325A to the USCIS PO Box in Chicago.

That's all.  I couldn't believe it, so I went over everything with the officer again.  For those who have been through the AOS process, does this sound right?

138862[/snapback]

Don't forget the FEE!..................... :P

not just the fee, but how to arrange everything in the package, seems if things are out of order, then they get confused......... good luck!!

A recent conversation I had with a UCIS supervisor may blow the hell out of the 'horses mouth' theory. I called USIC and bypassed the phone flunky in order to speak to a supervisor. My AOA interview was coming up and I was confused about the physical as I know of at least four people who's SO's had their physicals in GZ only three-four months before sending in the I-485 and they were asked to get another physical. My So's physical was 15 months old and I had heard that they expire after one year.

First question to the UCIS supervisor--'Is my SO's physical still good after one year'?? Answer: "NO, the physical is only good for 12 months" 'But I know several who had successful AOS interview and they had their physical over a year ago' Response: "The immigration officer can wave an additional physical if they chose too."

Second question: 'If the physical is good for a year then why are some being asked to take another after only four months?' Answer: "Because the IO can request any addition information they see fit."

'So you are saying that the rules don't count and the IO can either wave requirements and/or add new ones as they see fit?' Answer: "The IO has the authority to handle the case as they see fit"

Blah Blah Blah!!

Anyway, I did not get the second physical for my wife-we did get the I-693 vacc supplement from the civil surgeon in a sealed envelope--we were never asked for either.

Moral of this story--just 'cause it is written and told to you by a UCIS representative does not make it so--They CAN, AND DO, change the rules at their leisure!!!!!!!!!

What is the I-693 vacc supplement?  The I-693 form looks like a complete physical checkup.  Is there a separate vacc supplement form, or does the civil surgeon just fill out part of the I-693 form and leave the rest blank? <_<

138939[/snapback]

The I-693 supplement is available from the civil surgeon. It will be filled out once you give the c.s. the yellow vaccination book. It will be returned to you in a sealed envelope. It is best to send it in with the application.

It says on the I-485 it must be available at interview and sending in at application time is optional. Except that I have heard someone got an RFE because it was not included.....

2.  K1 visa holders do not need a medical check-up by a civil surgeon, because it was already completed prior to receiving the visa.  My wife still has her x-rays from GUZ, which the immigration officer told me to bring to her AOS interview.

138862[/snapback]

Wrong, wrong ,wrong. As stated above, you must get an I-693 from an approved USCIS Civil Surgeon. It doesn't matter what she got at GZ, you still need to do this step for filing the AOS

Cody,

Depending where you live, you may have several Civil Surgeons or you may just have one. Look it up on the CIS website. Call each one in your locality and tell the receptionist your situation; that your SO is K1 and that you need the doctor to sign off on the I-693 supplement form, (providing your SO has proof of having the required shots), and according to CIS regs, she doesn't need the physical. Then ask the receptionist about the fee. Shop around if you can but try to get it done and mail it in along with the I-485. It's not mandatory that you mail it in along with the I-485 but it is wise.

-good luck

138862[/snapback]

Wrong, wrong ,wrong. As stated above, you must get an I-693 from an approved USCIS Civil Surgeon. It doesn't matter what she got at GZ, you still need to do this step for filing the AOS

139130[/snapback]

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

You only need the I-693 VACCINATION SUPPLAMENT. not the entire form

138862[/snapback]

139130[/snapback]

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

You only need the I-693 VACCINATION SUPPLAMENT. not the entire form

139168[/snapback]

You will have to go see the Civil Surgeon and he will do the form. You don't care how he fill it because you won't be able to see it (sealed). Also, some VO don't even ask for it during the AOS interview.

This is from the FAQ on the USCIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

It clearly states that your fiance/wife does not need a new medical exam if she had one for her visa. She only needs the I-693 supplimental for vaccinations.

Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Is there a time limit for when you must file AOS? or get the AOS interview?

There is the 90 day timeline to get married, and we plan to file for Advance Parole so that we can freely return to China and come back again. But what happens if you do not file for AOS within a certain amount of time? or what if you don't get it by a certain time?

Just curious