OK, I got another question for you guys - My fiancee and I are going to get married here and apply for a visa via a DCF. The question is: does it matter where we get married? She is a student currently living in Guiyang, Guizhou but her family (and permament home address) are 4 hours away in another city, Meitan. Elf seems to think we need to get married THERE and cant do it in Guiyang. I have looked over Chinese marriage law but I havent seen any a definite answer one way or the other. She says she has to go home to get her "file" i.e. family history, criminal record, etc, which sounds rational, but as far as marriage is concerned, shouldnt we be able to do it here in Guiyang? Katrina...bjjenny...anyone have a good answer for me? THANKS!

-Alec & Elf

My wife and I had to travel to Zhengzhou, the capital Of Henan province.

From what I am led to believe. She has to register in the capital of her home province. The little red book you both will receive is actually your marriage papers. The ceremony isn't actually needed.

Good Luck.

P.S.

I forgot to tell you. You will have to have your American cert.of Elg. translated to Chinese. WE were given directions from marriage office where to go. It was close, and cost $13us.

Oh yes, you will need a certificate of marriage elegibility. I went to the US Embassy in Biejing to obtain this. since I have never been married, mine was straight forward. Cost me around $30usd. Had to listen to lecture about how women frauduently lure men to china. Raised my right hand and swore my information was true. Ordeal took about 40 minutes

I think it would be less complicated if you do in her home town, that will also give you points with her family!! good luck

I heard a while back that foreigners marrying Chinese citizens now have to marry in the provincial capital but I don't know this for a fact. We were married in my wife's city that she lived in.

We also had to do the physical but I understand that is not required any more.

It was never mentioned, because my wifes hometown is the Providencial Capitol..... I hope someone can get the real ifo for those wondering.. would it be on 101 ?

It was never mentioned, because my wifes hometown is the Providencial Capitol.....  I hope someone can get the real ifo for those wondering..  would it be on 101 ?

136718[/snapback]

it is and the almost for sure that you need to go to her hometown for marraige, i had to travel for 3 hours by bus to get married the whole process there took 10 minutes, they just checked all the paperwork, and i few days later she had to get the liscense and translations we wanted to get married where she live but had to go to her hometown Keith

yep...because you are a foreigner, you must go to the provincial capital to register the marriage and say the marriage oath...in Chinese. Then you must register in your SO's hometown as well.

Have fun...when you get the eleg. cert. be sure they write the date with with written months (ex: 1 JAN 2004). I had to get one twice when we got married in Feb 2004 becuase the local marriage office read the date on the cert. as expired. We got the first cert. on Nov. 4 2003 (11 4 2003 ) but they read it as April 11 2003...more than six months old...no good! But becasue the date was only done in numbers, we had no choice but to fly to Guangzhou (the nearest consulate) then fly back the same day to get it right. More than 300 bucks just becasue of a little date. ;)

But oh well. We're married and happy now! ;)