Self-service versus Full service

When my wife was here in USA, she was surprised that we have to do everything ourselves. Most people would pump their gas. When you go shopping, you have to find most stuffs yourselves. There are sale associates but you really have to ask them for help. In China, when you go to a store, you see so many sale associates trying to help you. Dining is the same way. At the entrance, there are so many hostesses trying to help you. Once you are eating, you are surrounded by so many waiters and waitresses. So if you need anything, they would gladly serve you. Unless you eat at a 5 stars restaurant in USA, you never see this kind of service. And you have to tip a lot too. In China, no tipping and great service.

Tell her she is seeing China's future as wages and benfits increase. I remember when the first self serve gas stations went in. People wouldn't use them. It took time.

When you went into a department store there was a sales clerk to greet you and ask what were you looking for.

Actually the U.S. had more service than anything I have yet seen in China just 40 years ago.

So appreciate what you like in the China of today. It was also different 40 years ago. But wait til you see the changes in 10 years. Everyone was shocked in the 70's-80's how quickly Japan changed. China is changing many times faster.

A few years ago I bought a DVD player for my wife's computer in Nanning. The guy came to the house and installed it. Over here, you buy it in store and you have to spend at least an hour trying to install it and make it work.

Also, I notice that many stores have self-service check out now (Home Depot, grocery markets)

True about installation. We bought a television and I negotiated the price including carrying it up 8 floors and installation. When there was a problem with it a month later. They came back and did the set up again. Here everything is by contract and extras have to be added in. There it is more reputation and who can yell louder and longer. I can remember when it was like that here too before the warehouse stores eliminated private ownership. :rolleyes:

That's true- I generally enjoy the service in China- but sometimes in stores when people follow you around- like clothing stores- I hate that- It makes me very nervous. And sometimes in Walmart-type stores they are always pushing certain products and telling you what to buy. As long as you don't tell them what you are looking for you will be okay.

When my wife was here in USA, she was surprised that we have to do everything ourselves.  Most people would pump their gas.  When you go shopping, you have to find most stuffs yourselves. There are sale associates but you really have to ask them for help. In China, when you go to a store, you see so many sale associates trying to help you.  Dining is the same way.  At the entrance, there are so many hostesses trying to help you.  Once you are eating, you are surrounded by so many waiters and waitresses.  So if you need anything, they would gladly serve you.  Unless you eat at a 5 stars restaurant in USA, you never see this kind of service.  And you have to tip a lot too.  In China, no tipping and great service.

I was fairly shocked to see so many service people as well in the Chinese malls, also in restaurant... made me wonder what their unemployment would be like if wages increase and they cannot afford to pay as many people..

Generally, I found the servers in China truly trying to serve you, even if you didn't think you needed help, they would offer .. and follow you around the store about 5 paces back.

Yup wages and benefits will change all that. When I first went to Japan there was a girl at the escalator on each floor. Her job was to bow and welcome you to the floor. Now they have a lifesize placard of the girl bowing with welcome written on it or just a speaker saying welcome to you anytime you go to a shop or floor.

Safely store your memories.

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's namin'.

For the loser now

Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen

Please heed the call

Don't stand in the doorway

Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt

Will be he who has stalled

There's a battle outside

And it is ragin'.

It'll soon shake your windows

And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'.

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn

The curse it is cast

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is

Rapidly fadin'.

And the first one now

Will later be last

Come to think of it though- I have also had very bad service in China. One time we were in a restaurant- kind of shabby but not terribly so- and my husband knocked over his glass- it was cheap and broke just from falling to the side on the table- and the waitress made him pay for it- he paid and then got really mad. (I just wouldn't have paid)- Then we were talking about it at lunch today and my husband reminded me of one Cantonese restaurant where they had terrible service- it was all you could do to get them to bring you the food you ordered. So it goes both ways- my husband says that in China- once a restaurant does well it will bother less and less about service.

Come to think of it though- I have also had very bad service in China. One time we were in a restaurant- kind of shabby but not terribly so- and my husband knocked over his glass- it was cheap and broke just from falling to the side on the table- and the waitress made him pay for it- he paid and then got really mad. (I just wouldn't have paid)- Then we were talking about it at lunch today and my husband reminded me of one Cantonese restaurant where they had terrible service- it was all you could do to get them to bring you the food you ordered. So it goes both ways- my husband says that in China- once a restaurant does well it will bother less and less about service.

I had the opposite issue in China. We asked the restaurant if we could buy a glass so I could take it back to the US.. They usually had this blank stare asking, why would you want to do that. and We don't sell glassses, we only use them.

Then we asked , supposed we broke it, would we pay for it. And they said no.

Then we said, supposed we just take it out the door with us. and they said OK !!!

So as a matter of principle, they would not take money for the glass, even if we took it !

After having this delightful experience, we decided to repeat it two more times, including once in Beijing... In all three cases, we walked away from glasses..

I had wanted the Tao marked cups we drank from in the vegetarian restaurant in Wuhan. They said they wouldn't sell them but directed me to the Taoist Temple several doors down. They had the cups and many other things in a shop as part of the Temple. I wasn't allowed to buy them though because they were over priced :D . You don't take pictures of the statue of Lao Tsu either. Actually that I knew. I have never taken pictures of any religous objects in China.

I think they have so many people hanging around becuase of job security and over population. It just seems like a bit much to have 15 people standing around in an empty restaurant and watch you eat.

Like Syl said I also find it really annoying when saleswomen follow me around in the store and try to get me to buy the absolute ugliest thing they have. But then again it's nice to have them there to ask the price of everything since usually the price isn't on the clothes.

So it goes both ways- my husband says that in China- once a restaurant does well it will bother less and less about service.

It's human nature that if you get same benefit with less work, than the staff will put forth the minimum effort required. his is one reason I like the tipping system. In Oregon it will be interesting to see if the tipping system stays in place. We just raised wages in Oregon for the food service people. I think the last voter approved mandated raise went into effect this last January, but don't quote me on that. I think just like it took a while for tipping to catch on, it will take a while, but I expect to see a gradual decrease in tipping.

I myself do not expect China to change as quick. The Government will do something to keep the employment up. This is one reson you see men with wheel barrows in place of backhoes. We also fix many cars and homes by ourselves. In China, because of the amount of people available to help, you would not even consider such a thing. China has too many people to keep busy, employed and fed. I think They will always do things different while there is such a large disparity between China and the rest of the world's population.

I had wanted the Tao marked cups we drank from in the vegetarian restaurant in Wuhan. They said they wouldn't sell them but directed me to the Taoist Temple several doors down. They had the cups and many other things in a shop as part of the Temple. I wasn't allowed to buy them though because they were over priced  :( . You don't take pictures of the statue of Lao Tsu either. Actually that I knew. I have never taken pictures of any religous objects in China.

Are you religious about your SO... :P