Taking a gift back to China

Guest jimmac2222

Guest jimmac2222

Dear CFL members, I need some advice. Angela (Xiaoying) will

be returning to Guilin after a 2 year abscence. She would like

to take back gifts to her extended family tong. She has a

suitcase the size of an 18 cu ft refrigerator, so no problem there.

What would be a suitable gift? any good ideas? So far we have

thought perhaps American Ginseng tea bags, vitamins, chocolates,

Cal wines, cigarettes etc. but we dont want anything that might

have a "made in China" tag on it. Any suggestions.

Thanks. Jim and Angela (K-1 Visa 2/14/03 Valentines Day)

oops, would the Chinese customs have a fit if I tried to bring in

Ginseng root (a vegetable product). :rolleyes:

When I met my husband's dad for the first time I brought him a painting done by a local artist (who happens to be my mom's best friend) from my town- which is Gatlinburg, TN- so it was of the mountains and etc.- but I think he really liked it- and it's something nice- maybe not a 'need'- but something cool. Other than that I have had a really hard time finding gifts- especially for my husband's mom and sister- I just don't know what they would like- I don't know what size they are- etc.

Agricultural goods are not permited and may be confiscated either here or there.

The pistachios I bought in China were great. I was told to stop wasting my time and energy bringing things with me for the family. Now I just buy things there that look like they are from here. Cuts expenses and makes them feel less burdensome.

Post cards go over well of American places. Calendars didn't as much because they have the wrong dates and in China you still need to hang the Chinese calendar. Although they did make nice wall decorations after cutting them up, :P

You won't have any problem bringing the American Ginseng as well as the American Ginseng tea. 

My wife bought back a bunch of body lotion, floss, and some American OTC medications (asprin, nasal sprays).

Yes those worked well. American dietary supplements and meds are very popular and those do cost more in China than here. So you wont be blamed for wasting money bringing them.

Good idea!

"American" cigarettes are good.. I brought Camel, Malboro, and Indian Spirit(?).. One friend , saw it and exclaimed loudly, "Malboro!".

Funny story:

I was touring with a group of Chinese and got caught during one rest outside the bus without anyone who could speak Chinese and english near me.. but a chinese guy came up and kept offering me a cigarette, I kept waving my hand for "no", but he put the cigarette into my waving hand !!

So, I applied a Zen principle I knew and decided it was best to just smoke with him... Once back on the bus, he asked my 'translator', what was my favorite "American cigarette"... she had to explain to him that I did not smoke !!

So, the friend I gave the cigarettes to (on a second trip) is the only guy I'll smoke with in CHina, since he is the guy from the bus trip...

My SO has a best friend married to an expat. Wierd, but they all want specific brands of deoderant; good coffee beans, Marlboro cigarettes and NBA jersies (probably made in China). I'll also be returning with some maple syrup for pancakes and French toast...couldn't find any in NanNing last trip. My backpack is getting stranger every trip.

Phil & Yun

You won't have any problem bringing the American Ginseng as well as the American Ginseng tea. 

My wife bought back a bunch of body lotion, floss, and some American OTC medications (asprin, nasal sprays, claritin).

American Ginseng was well received. Bought it online directly from the farm in Wisconsin (declared ginseng on Chinese customs slip and was not questioned on it). Bath and Body Works, shower gels and body lotions- green tea and ginger, cucmber and melon and various fruit/ herbal (NOT floral) scents were liked by all the woman ages 17 to 70.

If you can afford it- designer label perfumes (may be a preference issue here).

Pistachos are known as "happy nuts" but found that cashews and especially SMOKED ALMONDS were liked even more. acw

jewelry and cosmetics are always women's best friends, your chinese mother-in-law or sister-in-law will be glad if you bring them some jewelry, skincare, perfume, or makeup. :P I found some 14k earrings and necklaces are really pretty and not too expensive. so it will be a good gift for mother-in-law. you won't see that style in china.

alcohol and cigaratte are always men's best friend---- if your father-in-law smoke or drink. vitamins pills are good too. a nice watch? if you can afford. :P

gifts for brother-in-law....well, for my brother, I will bring him some houseware or kitchenware, some small tools, Nike sneakers and some pet's stuff. :lol: you know, many things you can't get in China although they are "MADE IN CHINA". <_<

for kids....candy, chocolate, cap, spider-man mask, :P don't bring them stuff animals. they are all MADE IN CHINA. sweaters are good gifts too.

well. when I can back to China....me and JP can carry four suitcases.... :blink: :o :rolleyes: ....I'm going to bring a whole China to the US :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know some chinese ppl bought a lot of alaska fish oil when they were going back to china. also I guess "American dietary supplements and meds " are good choices! chinese ppl pay much more attention in taking those stuff than working out in gym

I brought some VictoriaSecret body lotion for my girl friends when I came back, they like it~and I guess brand perfume is good for girls too, coz high tax on those stuff in china~