Sayings of your SO

Who wants to share and discuss what your Chinese SOs say in a phrase, but which might lend itself toward a cultural difference.. or at least something you just don't hear in American culture.

It would be interesting to hear any Chinese ladies, to comment as well... and set our american minds straight!

I'll start with one (in two variations) that always makes me feel very special and burdened to know:

"You like, I like". "You happy, I happy". -- YZX

The fact that one persons mood affects another is in any culture, but I have never heard someone state it in so open and supportive a way in a relationship.. I find my SOs expressions to always go straight to the heart of the matter.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't think this is just china, my SO have same view, you happy, i happy

robert

same view as me, i'm very happy when she is

but I think most american seek happiness for self anymore

But what's curious is whether your SO or you actually say it this bluntly.

Let's say you walk into a store to just look around.. and one of you says, "do you like this?"

Would the other say, "You like, I like"... so not just have the feeling, but actually say it. And say it in many, many situations...

don't think this is just china, my SO have same view, you happy, i happy

robert

same view as me, i'm very happy when she is

but I think most american seek happiness for self anymore

But what's curious is whether your SO or you actually say it this bluntly.

Let's say you walk into a store to just look around.. and one of you says, "do you like this?"

Would the other say, "You like, I like"... so not just have the feeling, but actually say it. And say it in many, many situations...

Yeah my SO has used that one lots of times when we were shopping for clothing for her, "You like, I like."

actually it is base in her culture, her likes is her husband likes, took me a few months to get her to uderstand not everything should be what husband want (sssssh roger). now she teases me when i comment on something i not like but she likes,

you not like, i like, so more for me to like.

her english has improve more now, it more along this line. dear sorry you not like but I do, maybe we make you something you like better.

then she a litature teacher

but she been taught since child hood father, husband, son is obey

since she met me her thought on that has changed, she told me other day I open her world to many possibilities, and can not wait to see what the next day with me brings

Robert

Yeah my SO has used that one lots of times when we were shopping for clothing for her, "You like, I like."

RIGHT !!!

When she stated to me, "You like , I like" for the clothes that she buys for herself I was first shocked. I kept asking for her opinion and she kept defering back to me.

She knew that I like black clothes (so I got blended into China very well).. so she'd try on these black tops.. then show them to me saying, "You like, I like".

At one point I said, "I know you don't like black" , so you don't have to try it on. She just said, "You like , I like". Then the next time we went out, I said, "I like pink !".

Guys change your translators. The cheap electronic translator uses literal word for word. The sophisticated up to date models give the intent.

You happy, I happy

Ok you probably know that in china the family name comes first. This is a similar reversal. Read this as "You may be happy as long as I am kept happy but rue the day I am not."

See in Chinese there is much implied. In English we read between the lines. In Chinese especially when adding the vagueries and inaccuracy of English translation you must read between the lines.

:( Laowai are so naive.

"You like, I like".

Very common in our household, but Jingwen prefers the Chinese version: ni xi huan, wo xi huan.

In addition to it's being an expression borne of love, I also think it reflects her attitude that the man should make some of the decisions. Sorry to sound sexist, but there are many times when Jingwen won't actually make the decision, so if it's hard for her to tell me what's she thinking, I'll get the "you like, I like" response.

Another one that she uses a lot is "ni dian hua gei ta" (call him). I usually get this directive whenever she is looking for immediate action on the part of a business. I don't know what it's like in other parts of China, but, to Jingwen, customer service means right now.

Chi fan (eat) is another directive I hear a lot. Again, it means now, not in 5 minutes. :(

"You like, I like".

Very common in our household, but Jingwen prefers the Chinese version: ni xi huan, wo xi huan.

In addition to it's being an expression borne of love, I also think it reflects her attitude that the man should make some of the decisions. Sorry to sound sexist, but there are many times when Jingwen won't actually make the decision, so if it's hard for her to tell me what's she thinking, I'll get the "you like, I like" response.

Another one that she uses a lot is "ni dian hua gei ta" (call him). I usually get this directive whenever she is looking for immediate action on the part of a business. I don't know what it's like in other parts of China, but, to Jingwen, customer service means right now.

Chi fan (eat) is another directive I hear a lot. Again, it means now, not in 5 minutes. :(

I got the same sense of the expression, and that "I" should make some (many) decisions. She told me this bluntly too !

yes, I like the immediacy thing.. they're much better at customer service than the average american business in my mind.

don't let the "chi fan!" get to a third time or you get a "lai" (come) and the expression/tone of love seems lost (although they say they care for your health and therefore you must too).

Guys change your translators. The cheap electronic translator uses literal word for word. The sophisticated up to date models give the intent.

You happy, I happy

Ok you probably know that in china the family name comes first. This is a similar reversal. Read this as "You may be happy as long as I am kept happy but rue the day I am not."

See in Chinese there is much implied. In English we read between the lines. In Chinese especially when adding the vagueries and inaccuracy of English translation you must read between the lines.

:( Laowai are so naive.

laowei !! When your happy but she no happy, does she call you laowei instead of laogong??

I think there is always something to read between the lines with an Chinese ...

But her family and friends also used "You like , I like" phrase to me, in various situations... so I think it's simple meaning can be understood too.

Now there guys is a quick learner. Congratulations David on passing Singlish 101

I had heard it as "Chinglish"... maybe a dialect thing...

I had always seen "chinglish" also but when I saw Dan use "singlish" I thought that worked very well too with the "sino" base. And I never argue with someone who has 10 blue thingies. (well almost never) :(