Good Morning CFL. Thank you for the good wishes.

I thank you for your thoughts on our Interview. And am saddend to hear the latest news on some others here.

I am at an internet cafe down off of Renmin Nan Lu which is about a 20 minute walk from the consulate.

Just thought I would give you an update, to help build the tension. Since I must wait, so must you until this afternoon, and from what I read, even the following day even if a white slip is received.

Short notes:

Guangzhou being dangerous is of a concern to my SO, however as she is experiencing, I apparently know how to give off the right kind of vibes that it is something that potiential trouble causers give second thought to attempting. As is usually the case, I have had no trouble at all. Also, for those I sense as being possible trouble, I manage to throw them off balance on the street by being obviously aware, even to say hello at the wrong moment for their timing. It no doubt helps that I am 6'1", and have the kind of look that I am told causes people to stay away. Yet I am actually a friendly guy on the street.

Next, we are staying at a hostel just down the street off the island on Heping Lu. At least I think that is the name of the street. The manager is friendly, and we got a cost of 230rmb per night, when Guangzhou Youth Hostel asked for 500rmb. Trade fair time. It is a known place to go on the 001 forum, so have your SO check it out. The building is either new, or newly renovated and I thought nice. But then I am easy to please. Bed, western toilet, AC, TV. This is enough for me. I also note it is four times the size of the hostel in Hong Kong. I will post more specific info on this place when I can. Basically less than a 15 minute walk away from the Consulate.

At the consulate this morning, I estimated 200 people going through the line. My SO had met up with someone on line who is a IR2, a 14 year old girl and her aunt and uncle. While waiting in the line, I asked if they were going to go in with her, and they seemed to indicate that this is no problem. Wrong. They only allowed the 14yr old in. I tried to insist with the guard that at least one of them should be allowed to accompany her, but they said age 14 must go by themselves. I dont know what you think about this, but I find this to be unacceptable. I am hoping my SO will be able to stay with her as long as possible. But I am going to look into this, as I think this issue deserves a letter of its own. I know when I was 14, I thought I knew it all and could do anything, but I think this is a policy that is wrong. How is a child supposed to navigate bureacracy? Of course I can also wonder why the parents are not there, but like any story, who knows what is going on.

I note that at the start of the line, there is a small building and they are advertising the making of VHS video. I did not investigate, and hopefully will not need this, but I don't like this. I also heard a story of bribery. But this is a story. I also heard a story of someone who last week was at the hostel, they went with a 200 page story book but was asked nothing at all, just name verification. Apparently their intial application was similar in format, if shorter.

I also found that the people doing business did not approach me near the consulate. Yesterday when we walked by, the few who spoke to my SO were not insistant at all, and she felt they were very friendly.....of course that is good business in my opinion. All seemed orderly, but I did note the people with their business cards did have a tendancy to decend upon those who were Chinese only, or possibly there is some look about them I am not aware of that causes them to gravitate towards certain people, because they did not do this to all people.

I was the only American there that I saw. Around 8am, another American with a Chinese woman in tow who was clearly pregnant, and with a 5yr old boy as well walked up, and basically sailed past everyone through the three step line process directly into the building. They did not appear happy. I saw noboby that looked like adoptions. It appeared that today looked mostly like family related visas, I counted at least thirty kids from age 8 to 14 interspersed through the group. I saw no pushing, or rushing....mostly just "am I in the right place doing the right thing". My overall impression would be to use the word mello.

A side note, Japan airlines was really substandard for my trip. The audio for the movie which was one big screen only, failed to work properly for the English. I tried to learn Japanese as it was working, but I am really bad at languages. All my friends rave about Japan airlines, but I think China Airlines is the same or better. Continental is the best. When in Hong Kong, driving is of course on the left, walking into the subway is on the left, and riding on the escalator....you stand on the right and pass on the left. These rules apply except for when they don't. I dont know when that is.

We took the subway from Mong Kok area to Kowloon Tong transfer. (using the Octopus card, which you really want to have if you spend time in Hong Kong. Tourist version available at the airport). This was 4.6HKD each.

From Kowloon Tong, we got on the KCR rail, again using the Octopus card, 33HKD each to Lo Wu where we went through customs to enter China.

A quick walk to the railway station to take the train the Guangzhou East railway station, 65RMB each.

From there a quick walk around and some wandering because even the Chinese signs are useless to take the Metro to the station near the Consulate, 5RMB each.

Needless to say, I am a cheap guy, and thought us taking the train direct from Hong Kong would be the cheapest, but my SO had researched this and got our projected cost cut more than half. Total trip time was about 3.5 hours from Hong Kong to the Hostel.

Also really good food at a restaurant down the street from here, also known on 001, and the price is really reasonable. 1rmb for a seaweed soup. 8rmb for a noodle dish that I think of as a pancit, but for a similar dish in Chengdu was 12rmb.

Next update when I can, so you must savor the suspense.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

Update, my SO is out of the consulate at 930am. Be back at 1pm.

She found another CR1 and a CR2 and have asked each of them to stay as long as they can. She is going to meet me here, after finding the aunt and uncle to tell them what is happening.

Time for me to carry everything while we go shopping.

Charts next week.

Go eat your cheeto's.

Wait.

Very quick until I have more time.....

I went back to the consulate to enquire about the age for no gardian....which my SO absolutely did not want me to do for fear it will affect things. From Chinese point of view, this is political and not to be questioned. I explained that the American way is to question government, and that this is a reasonable question that I will be asking, which is to simply get clarification of the policy.

The answer I got from the American Citizens Services was that it is the policy of the consulate that those age 14 and up must go to the interview themselves. I explained why I felt this was not correct. They said it is because they have no room for so many extra people. They went on to say they will soon move to have more room. I asked will the policy change? Probably not. I accepted this for now and explained what happened. to My SO and the girls aunt and uncle. I still feel this policy is wrong and am thinking about it. But in the end the girl got the visa.

I met a man waiting for his wife and 2 children while I waited. He is originally from Laos, refugee from Vietnam war period living in Georgiasince then...after living in a refugee camp for two years in Phillipines and Thailand. It is their third try to get a visa for his wife and children....year four since married. I dont know if they made it.

My total count this afternoon was around 150 people, and 1/3 of them were children, ages 5 to 16. Only certain that there were two other K1's today, one of them a male in his 20's.

Oh....right, we got "Black Pearl".

And a white slip.

More after the visa is in hand, tomorrow.

Congratulations and thanks for remembering that "little detail" at the end.

I also feel that under American laws protecting minors that interviewing a 14 year old alone is wrong. From the answer you received it seems lack of space is not the reason. Congratulations for giving your SO a demonstrative lesson in the difference in the American and Chinese concept of citizen/government relationship :huh: