Letter for the Interview

I'm not attending my wife's interview.  I was told I should or must write a letter, what should it say?

I doubt if it's required, but I don't really see anything wrong with letting the VO know that you are involved even if you can't be there. If I were writing a letter, it would be short and along the lines that something or other prevents you from being with you wife, that you are aware of the importance of the interview, that your wife may be nervous (maybe add something about how you communicate), and maybe also add something unique about her that only her husband would know about.

Just some random thoughts.

I heard a letter from the USC was a good idea if the USC was in Gungzhou so I typed one up for the VO. My SO went to the interview loaded with every thing. She tried to hand him the letter right away, so he would know I was there and involved. He told her he did not need to see it. So some VO's like a letter and sometimes I think it depends on the case. He then proceeded like the case was already approved. Asking her a few questions then looked at my taxes and our pictures.

I am not sure about a letter if you are not at the interview. Seems they may or may not look at it. This depends on their decision they have already made. I don't think it could hurt as if they are riding the fence in the middle, it might sway them to your side.

I didn't write a letter specifically for that purpose, but I did sign an updated affidavit of my ability and intent to marry my SO. I had this letter notarized along with the I-134. I doubt it was necessary, and I'm not sure if it was even looked at, but I figured since it was about 9 months since I sent my original affidavit, it certainly couldn't hurt.

Hey Everyone,

This is what I wrote:

April 10, 2005

Dear Visa Officer:

This letter will answer pertinent questions to my wife’s Visa interview:

How and when did you meet your wife?

I met my wife while I was teaching English in Zhuhai, China. We met at book store in Zhongzhon in November 2003.

When you left China in February of 2004 why did you only visit your wife one time and why aren’t you here today for her interview?

When I first came back to the United States in February of 2004 I did not have a job or a place to live so I lived with my parents in Kentucky. It took me from February of 2004 to June 2004 to find a job at Wal-Mart. My goal was to visit her the first time before I started my new job in June; however I only had a week’s notice from the hire date to my first day at work.

Then, I wanted to visit her after my training in September, but then I was immediately transferred to New Mexico. As soon as I arrived at my first store I put in for vacation in the last part of October and the first part of November of 2004. This is our Hong Kong trip accompanied by VHS tape.

Finally, I wanted to visit her again in the first part of 2005 but I changed jobs February 15 with, once again a weeks notice. This is also why I couldn’t make the interview. In addition, I rather use the extra money to prepare a nice lifestyle for my wife, who I love very much!

What do you love about your wife?

She’s very sweet, feminine, kindhearted, and she always smiles. She has a soft voice that will humble any strong man’s heart; but most importantly I feel God brought us together and He wants me to take care of her.

Amen brother, I feel the same way about my LP.

Just some feedback for you concerning your letter.

If I'm the VO, I believe this is not a sham marraige because you took the time to write a personal letter and pro-actively tried to eliminate potencial questions that I would probably have. However, in doing that. You also raised some flags for me. I would be looking over your I-864 and taxes over the last 3 years. I would also be looking for an 864A, because I don't think a teachers wages in China would cover the 27K needed to surpass the poverty line. (unless they make exceptions for that.)

(...after a few minutes of thinking about the 10 million reasons I have to reject this visa for petty BS and I need another cigarette soon.) "But then again, you two look so cute together. Can't denie that. Here's your white slip and have a nice day maam."

I would drop this part from your letter. I personally like it, but what if she gets a female VO? eewwee...

(What do you love about your wife?

She’s very sweet, feminine, kindhearted, and she always smiles. She has a soft voice that will humble any strong man’s heart; but most importantly I feel God brought us together and He wants me to take care of her.)

maybe he wants her to take care of you too. :angry: