No original birth certificate

We are getting all the documents done for the trip to Shanghai to file I-130. I don't have my birth certificate because I was born at home not in the hospital. This afternoon I went to the local notary office and the dean there gave me this form which worte " birth certificate " on the very top. It is just a simple piece of paper listing my name, date of birth , place of birth and my parents' names and present addresses. He told me to fill it out and also get a stamp from my working unit. And then I got to take it back to the notary office to get it translated and notarized. He told me that is all I need for birth certificate.

So will this " birth certificate work? Anyone that got experience on this can tell me? I am really worried because I don't want us end up getting to shanghai but could not get anything done.

Thank you!

I got this directly from the Department of State website concerning those whe do not have an offical birth certificate:

Unobtainable birth certificates

Your birth record may not be obtainable. Some reasons are listed below.

Your birth was never officially recorded.

Your birth records have been destroyed.

The appropriate government authority will not issue one.

Please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not available. With the certified statement you must submit secondary evidence. For example:

A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent¡¯s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth

An adoption decree for an adopted child, or

An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant¡¯s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent¡¯s names, and the mother¡¯s maiden name.

Note : An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations. Information regarding the procedures for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

Hope it helps.

We have the same problem. After requesting a birth certificate from the city records and getting a tongue lashing from the official for loosing the original they gave her mother at birth, she was directed to the notary. We haven't been to interview yet, but a friend who has used the same document and is now in the U.S.

When I went to DHS in GUZ to find out how to apply 1-130 the guy there showed me the alternative to birth certificate. Was just a note on what I take was PSB or local government letterhead saying the original had been lost, and the person was born on such and such a date to such and such a parents, then chopped by the PSB official. PSB/local government letterhead was just a A4 piece of paper with red lines on it much like note paper.

We managed to get an original birth certificate, but it turns out Nicole's father was the one in the village that would write out the letter. Seems no one from that village had ever immigrated to US before and they didn't know how to handle it.

TIC

Bob

Thank you all very much for the information. I got my birth certificate done and took it back to the notary office this afternoon. They told me to pick up the copies next Tuesday.

So let me see what we have now:

Form I-130

Form G-325A for my husband

Form G-325a for me

His birth certificate

My birth certificate

His passport ( including Z visa )

My passport

Our marriage certificate ( translated and notarized already)

His residence permit ( little green book )

Money order ( 185 dollars )

Photographs ( altogether 2, one for each of us right? )

So did I miss anything?

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

• 3 years later...

Hello. I have a quick question along the same lines. My husband was born at home in Lhasa in 1975. The neighborhood place (sorry, don't know their exact title) where his HuKou is wrote a letter saying he was born at home. The notary (gong zhen) won't notarize the birth certificate without the verification of the local PSB. The local PSB boss won't do it because he said that's the hospital's job. He won't give other reasons. He won't do it. Period. We've been trying for 2.5 months to get this done.

So, we are trying to gather the documentation needed when the birth certificate is "unobtainable". My husband has an older brother (now a US citizen) in the US and an older sister in Nepal, both of whom will be able to provide affidavits stating when and where he was born and that they remember it etc etc etc. Both of my husband's parents are deceased. I spoke to someone in the Kathmandu visa office (long story) who said that generally the affidavits supporting a birth must be the mother's. I'm worried that there is a difference between what documents the consulate states can used in verifying a birth without a birth certificate and what they will actually accept.

Does anyone have any experience submitting the alternative documents to GZ? I've tried contacting GZ with no luck. I will send another email the and hope for a response.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my posting. Any information, advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

what about his household registry ?

wow rob & jin! i just asked my husband and he said maybe that will work because the hukou is issued by the police and therefor already verified. we're going to the notary tomorrow to try again. i appreciate your help, i'll let you know what happens. thank you!!

what about his household registry ?

wow rob & jin! i just asked my husband and he said maybe that will work because the hukou is issued by the police and therefor already verified. we're going to the notary tomorrow to try again. i appreciate your help, i'll let you know what happens. thank you!!

The notary said the HuKou had no bearing. Then he said he would accept the HuKou office's statement regarding my husband's birth without a PSB signature/stamp but would need an additional statement from them (HuKou office) stating that my husband's parents are deceased and that letter would need to be signed by the PSB before he would issue a notarized birth certificate. The notary said the US goverment requires a notarized birth certificate to have information regarding the status of the parents if they are deceased. Is that true? Weird. I just want to get this over with. Thanks again for taking the time to read/respond to my post.