My Theory on CR1s

Could be. Remember that with the CR1 you're actually getting a greencard, so less future checks are done, so it would make sense that they have everything completed first.

When I called to check on the status of my fiancée's application once though, I was told interviews aren't scheduled until they are finished processing the application. I was a bit confused since it seemed everyone BUT me who had their appliactions and P3s at about the same time had already recived notice of their interviews. I was told in an e-mail from GZ that the background check had been completed in the U.S. (before they received the application). I asked DOS this during a phone call and the woman I spoke to said that a background check is done monthly until the processing is completed. That is, nothing may come up one month, but then they may find your spouse/financee is on a terrorist list the next, so they do monthly checks. Would seem to make sense.

I also asked the woman why I hadn't heard anything when others with similar application and P3 dates had, and that's when I was told the information about an interview only being scheduled when the processing is completed. She said that as such, it is not necessarily in the order of filing.

And then a week or so later my fiancée got the P4, with an interview scheduled earlier than lots of other people. Go figure.

Could be.  Remember that with the CR1 you're actually getting a greencard, so less future checks are done, so it would make sense that they have everything completed first.

When I called to check on the status of my fiancée's application once though, I was told interviews aren't scheduled until they are finished processing the application.  I was a bit confused since it seemed everyone BUT me who had their appliactions and P3s at about the same time had already recived notice of their interviews.  I was told in an e-mail from GZ that the background check had been completed in the U.S. (before they received the application).  I asked DOS this during a phone call and the woman I spoke to said that a background check is done monthly until the processing is completed.  That is, nothing may come up one month, but then they may find your spouse/financee is on a terrorist list the next, so they do monthly checks.  Would seem to make sense.

I also asked the woman why I hadn't heard anything when others with similar application and P3 dates had, and that's when I was told the information about an interview only being scheduled when the processing is completed.  She said that as such, it is not necessarily in the order of filing.

And then a week or so later my fiancée got the P4, with an interview scheduled earlier than lots of other people. Go figure.

The fact your SO automatically gets a green card is one reason I went the CR-1 route. Another reason was before I went to China I talked to a guy on AFF who had worked for the consulate in GZ. he told me they processed the CR-1's faster than the K-3. He also told me I had to pay to file an I-130 then again for an I-129, then when we went for an AOS there was another charge, so in the long run a CR-1 was actually cheaper than filing all the other forms.

Maybe he was wrong, but a CR-1 was the way I went, because it seemed like the best way to go.