To all JDs especially tonyontherock

Tonyontherock,

I noticed that you were graduated from Uconn as a JD, How was it?

JDs,

Your commons are all welcome, please share your experiences of your Law school life.

ChinaDave,

I noticed that you are taking courses in Uconn, what is DCC? I am your neighbour in Eastern and doing my Master.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I remember law school. Not much to learn back then - maybe one or two laws - took all of about five minutes to graduate. Back then, the king made up most of the laws while sitting on his throne (you chose which one :P ). Besides, the peasants couldn't read, so it didn't really make much sense to write out the laws - made it easy for us to make it up as we went along. We lawyers were doing just fine until some jerk ball decided that the laws should apply to everyone equally. Imagine that - equal treatment for all. It hasn't been the same since. ;)

Q. Do you know why lawyers wear neckties?

A. To keep the foreskin pulled back. :P

Yea, I remember law school.  Not much to learn back then - maybe one or two laws - took all of about five minutes to graduate.  Back then, the king made up most of the laws while sitting on his throne (you chose which one :P  ).  Besides, the peasants couldn't read, so it didn't really make much sense to write out the laws - made it easy for us to make it up as we went along.  We lawyers were doing just fine until some jerk ball decided that the laws should apply to everyone equally.  Imagine that - equal treatment for all.  It hasn't been the same since. ;)

Q.  Do you know why lawyers wear neckties?

A.  To keep the foreskin pulled back. :P

after reading your post, i suddenly come out an idea in my mind, are lawyers a typical lier or they were born by cheating? no offensive please.

I am not thinking to be a lawer for my future career, I might just study it as an interest.

Unless you guys are really rich, I can't recommend this. Law school isn't cheap.

Of course, there's a lot you can do with a law degree -- you're not locked into becoming a lawyer. Just make sure you know of the financial commitment.

I am not thinking to be a lawer for my future career, I might just study it as an interest.

Unless you guys are really rich, I can't recommend this. Law school isn't cheap.

Of course, there's a lot you can do with a law degree -- you're not locked into becoming a lawyer. Just make sure you know of the financial commitment.

Forget about money, Money is just some green papers, you could not bring them into this world when you were born and you wont take them with you when you dead.

We only live once, there has nothing more important than doing something you really like in your limited lifetime, plus the purpose to earn money is to find a way to spend them and spend them valuable, otherwise you would not have stimulation to earn more and more money.

I assume that the law school is as expensive as Medical school, how much you paid, how much you will get pay back, no pain, no gain.

Forget about money, Money is just some green papers, you could not bring them into this world when you were born and you wont take them with you when you dead.

We only live once, there has nothing more important than doing something you really like in your limited lifetime, plus the purpose to earn money is to find a way to spend them and spend them valuable, otherwise you would not have stimulation to earn more and more money.

I assume that the law school is as expensive as Medical school, how much you paid, how much you will get pay back, no pain, no gain.

Well, yes, but that's my point .. it's an investment. A J.D. isn't really something you'd study just because it's an "interest".

Well, yes, but that's my point .. it's an investment. A J.D. isn't really something you'd study just because it's an "interest".

so, for your understanding, what does laywer study the law for?

are you a lawyer?

are you a lawyer?

I'm studying for my JD right now.

People want to study law for different reasons. Some want to make money. Some want to seek justice for people. Some want to go into politics. Some people may go because they don't know what else they want to do after they graduate from college.

But I think most people who go plan to use their JD towards some future career, whether it be in a law firm, business, politics, education, etc. In a way, law school is like a trade school. It's not like a BA where you can study art history, and then go on to become a doctor. Of course, like I mentioned in my previous posting, a JD can be applied to other careers, so you're not locked into being a lawyer in a law firm.

I may have made my comment too quickly, but when you said you did not want to be a lawyer for your future career, but just study it as an interest, I just wanted to make sure you knew the interest could put you several tens of thousands of dollars in debt. So, it's a good idea to know why you want to spend that kind of money and invest the time in a JD if that's what you choose to do.

are you a lawyer?

I'm studying for my JD right now.

People want to study law for different reasons. Some want to make money. Some want to seek justice for people. Some want to go into politics. Some people may go because they don't know what else they want to do after they graduate from college.

But I think most people who go plan to use their JD towards some future career, whether it be in a law firm, business, politics, education, etc. In a way, law school is like a trade school. It's not like a BA where you can study art history, and then go on to become a doctor. Of course, like I mentioned in my previous posting, a JD can be applied to other careers, so you're not locked into being a lawyer in a law firm.

I may have made my comment too quickly, but when you said you did not want to be a lawyer for your future career, but just study it as an interest, I just wanted to make sure you knew the interest could put you several tens of thousands of dollars in debt. So, it's a good idea to know why you want to spend that kind of money and invest the time in a JD if that's what you choose to do.

I want to do it because I want challenge my intelligence, sounds weird huh?

I cant be a laywer because of my moral norm, I would not fight for somebody who I know that guilty just because I am doing my job responsibility as a laywer.

Financial is not an issue, here is USA. hehe

Which Law school are you in?

I don't think its weird to want to challenge your intelligence by pursuing a law degree. Very noble pursuit for personal growth.

As for not representing an individual who "you know" to be guilty, one of the first things you learn as a lawyer is never ask the client if he/she in fact did what he/she is charged with. If you are told they did the criminal act, you can't go to trial and allow them to use some lame story about being not guilty. It is breach of your ethics and subjects you to charges by the legal association of your state. One always tells the client in the beginning not to admit guilt if in fact they intend to go to trial on a theory of not guilty.

A lawyer once said to the general public "lawyers are prostitues". I must say I agree with the description. We do what we are asked to do for $$$.

Its a great way to prepare you for some other professions in life. Way back when I was in law school, only about 1/3 of the class made it to graduation. Just make sure you pick a good school and not one that just hands out JDs at end of 3 years.