Hotel in Guangzhou

I'm planning out my trip to Guangzhou for my SO's intervew. Out of all the time to schedule an interview, we had to get one that corresponds to the yearly Canton Fair, around April 15th. The popular Victory Hotel has raised their prices to a whoping $175 for a standard room, where they are normally $38 a night. Swan has done something similar. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

smilie

javascript:emoticon(':huh:')smilie javascript:emoticon(':lol:')smilie

Does anyone have any other hotel suggestions? I'm willing to stay farther away from the consulate.

Make some friends at the Guangzhou Foreign Language Institute. That is where I usually stay. I can't help you find any friends, but maybe someone who reads our posts can help...

Good luck. Guangzhou is getting big city...and with it the prices are rising. We should get used to it. Sooner or later the Chinese will release their money from our U.S. Dollar and then we will really see the prices rise..

ShuPing is sleeping now, but I can ask her for the name of the place we stayed at. I think she managed to get us a room for $12 a night (100RMB). It was a ways from Shamian and the Consulate, but only a 28RMB taxi ride. Not the best place in town, but it wasn't a hole either.

Wayne and JieJun stayed a couple of nights and bugged out, so he might have a different opinion, but I was OK with it.

PM me if you're interested.

Guest blsqueaky

If you can get on the victory hotel web site, you can become a member for free, and this will usually get you about a 40-45% discount on rooms, and you can also try the aigun hotel

We tried to stay at the youth hostel, and even had a reservation. The hostel has a Chinese name also that we booked under (can't think of it now, but I did post it once and no one else had heard of it). As we were filling out the papers, they asked us for our married papers. WOULD NOT give us a room without them.

So Amy called a friend that lives in GZ and we got a room at the G. D. Jun Tian Shipping Hotel. It is one block from the river and a 12 rmb taxi to the consulate for 150 rmb. After the first night the booking agent on our floor told us we could get the room directly from her for 130 RMB ($14.50) If anyone is interested, P.M. me and Amy wil contact her friend.

Good luck getting anything cheap during the fair!

Hi Group

I am heading to Guangzhou for night of April 29th.

Please let me know if this Canton Fair will be over by then?

Also, if anyone can provide me with web sites for the inexpensive hotels/hostels, etc..it would be appreciated.

I head up to Chongqing after one night to be with my lady..

Thanks for the info.

Richard (We are getting married and then begin the process of I130,etc)

Our interview was during the fall Canton Fair. All of our hotel reservations were cancelled when we arrived, so be careful. We ended up getting a room on the other end of town from one of those people who hang around the bus station. We moved to Victory the night of the interview and had to pay something like 400 rmb for a room.

Well, nevermind.

ShuPing just told me they don't like to let foriegners stay at this hotel, she managed to get me there because she had been there for 2 weeks before I got there and pretty much had to coerce the manager into letting me stay.

She said something about the government setting aside certain hotels just for Chinese citizens. So your honey might be able to stay there, but you're not very welcome. I didn't know any of this until just now, but the staff at the hotel never treated me wrong.

She recommended the place that Wayne and JieJun stayed at, though they'll probably have jacked their prices up.

Such a deal...

Looks like I got some homework to do. Just in case, I made my reservation in the Holiday Inn. Anyone know how far is that from the consulate?

Here's the Hotel Info:

Holiday Inn

HUANSHI DONG, 28 GUANGMING LU

GUANGZHOU, 510095

CHINA

LOCAL PHONE: 86-20-61286868

The room rate is around 650 Yuan with the 15% service charge. I just hope its not so far away from the Consulate.