Has This Ever happened to anyone?

Jtaylo69,

A good rule to follow is to never respond to anyone who approaches you at an airport, train station, bus station, or tourist site. One of the worst experiences I had was at the Hongzhou train station. I had to walk about two blocks from the train station, before the touts stopped pestering me, to offer some service that I didn't need. If you need help make sure that you are the one who approaches someone. Negotiate all prices before hand. This is true throughout southeast asia. I had the same experiences with touts in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. China was probably the most problematic.

A freind of mine tells me it's great entertainment to go to the domestic check in terminal in Puson Airport in Korea and watch the check in circus. Too many bags, overweight bags, etc.He head's down in the morning with a 6 pack of beer and watches the show. Apparently it's quite a madhouse.

The banded thing in Guangzhou airport after security should only cost 15 yaun per bag. Kind of wish they had something similar option in U.S., since now you have to leave your bag unlocked after security check in. I do get nervous that a curious baggage handler will start helping himself to the goodies.

The best one I've had recently was last time through Guangzhou going to Manila a middle eastern looking guy tells me he's got too many baygs and asked me if I'd check one for him on my luggage allowance. Yeah right. And pigs will fly also.

Bob

In the US, I would never try to put anything valuable in your check-in luggage. My Mom flew to my brother's home in VA and she had jewelry taken out of her luggage. The airline seems tothink it is nt there problem and will not reimburse her for the amount not covered by her insurance. I know if her bags had been locked they never would have stolen the jewelry.I also tell her to carry anything of value with her carry-on luggage.

I never had any problems flying into HongKong for both my trips to China.

Dave

Trigg, You are a hoot!! :D :D I can only imagine as to what your life must be like. Never a dull moment I bet, LOL

I can kida relate though, as Liqiu is kinda the same way. Although she can speak english almost better than I can. And boy, you are right when you said look out when they decide to get vocal. God!!! When we were at the Guangzhou airport last year, I can remember her raising more hell than I was with all of the Checked baggage ordeal. & when it was all over, for what ever the reason, she wacked me upside the back of the head, and with a sheepish grin said, :See, I said, Different here in China" Damn that hurt. LOL

When we were art the Bird, seed, & flower market, I had seen a little trinket that I had liked & was preparing to buy it at the price the person said they wanted for it. and Just as I was about to hand over the money, Smack!! She hit me hard enough to slap the money right out of my hand and commenced to raising all kinds of hell at the merchant. After about 10 minutes of wanting to just duck & run, the mercant handed me both the trinket & about 30 yuan in change. "SEE, I Said Different here in China" is all she would say to me.

So now, almost 6 months later, Here I am getting ready to go back, and this time, I am planning on staying for about 6 months. (I have to remember: DIFFERENT IN CHINA) Or god as my witness, I am bound to be for ever banned from goiing into a puplic place with money.

As for the Airport last year, I arrived at the New Airport. I never went out side from the moment I arrived until I boarded the plane going to Nanning. Yet somehow, mannaged to get horn swaggled form one of those highsters that a few of you had mentioned.

So, if I have this right, upon Arriving there in Guangzhou's new terminal, All I need to do is go through the process of going through customs, go through the check point & then proceed up stairs & to the long hall way to the left to the domestic counter. And durring this process, I should not have to had anyone, any money? Is that right?

And Trigg, Dude, You have got to either make a section here that tells us all about your journeys, or something dude, as I could always use a good laugh, especially if all I am going to hear "IT'S DIFFERENT HERE IN CHINA" S M A C K! :D

was preparing to buy it at the price the person said they wanted for it. and Just as I was about to  hand over the money, Smack!! She hit me hard enough to slap the money right out of my hand and commenced to raising all kinds of hell at the merchant. After about 10 minutes of wanting to just duck & run, the mercant handed me both the trinket & about 30 yuan in change. "SEE, I Said Different here in China" is all she would say to me.

I am no longer permitted to purchase anything when I travel with my SO in China. If I see something I want I am to tell her, then we leave the store, then she returns to baragin for it.

It's just like I've been telling you guys all the time...I am in charge!!! I am in charge!!! I am in charge !!! :lol: :lol:

When I see something I want in China I do the bargaining. Then as we walk out she asks the shop owner for her commission for bringing the tourist in. Sometimes she doesn't have to say anything because we are convincing at the roles. They just ask her to pick out something for herself. This works great at small jewlery shops. She gets double :lol: