job opportunities for immigrants

Hi, I've been wondering what the job climate will be like for my fiance when we finally settle down in Seattle. She has a degree, but it's one step below a BA, kinda like an A.A. in America. She was trained to be an English teacher, but I am sure her education in China won't amount to much in the states. Would anybody mind sharing with us their SO's educational background and what jobs they were able to find in America, or if they pursued further education once arriving in the states?

We're eager to hear your stories. Thanks!

Hey Xu Lei 601,

Very similar here --- Fei has an English teaching credential, and tought at the middle school level up to the late 80's ... She has just recently gotten her work authorization card, and since we are still workin on my new house, hasn't done much serious job searching...

The expectation is that her experience in international freight forwarding --- and Chinese multilingual tallents will serve her better than the teaching..

My S.O. has a 4 year medical degree in China for Herbal medicine. She has been teaching painting and singing and a little English in the school she worked for, I think it was like kindegarden.

We had all her educational transcripts translated to english. She really wants to teach here or sell herbal things on the intenet.

I don't know, what ever makes her happy and keeps me out of trouble.

Rick :rolleyes:

In California only acupuncturists can be licensed herbalists. Unfortunately most degrees from overseas for professional jobs require further education after getting here.

They might look into vocational schools which lead to licenses and can be completed in less than a year. In today's job market these actually get better return for the investment quicker. This includes many fields from doing nails to IT consultants.

I have known several new immigrants who have set up day care in their homes. It usually isn't hard to find mothers from their countries that need day care. These are state licensed usually but very easy to get.

passport still delay because of California, I will recieve it in 6 weeks from March 8th. if not I am to call, I was told not to call before the 6 weeks are up. US government will not issue a passport on a short form.

then I going to pay the extra 60 dollars to speed up the passport so I be getting it by May 1st

i need my passport number to finish out my marriage permission papers before i can get the state to notary it. (that a week process)

I need it to get my visa (that a week process)

and to make sure I have my passport so I can get ticket for plane trip with out fear of losing the ticket not having passport. (watching ticket price rising) (only god know when this happen)

everything revolve around the damn passport

oh will not have time to send the marriage packet to consulate to get approval going to have to hand deliever it to their office in hanoi and wait 30 days for marriage,

so now my trip have been increase from 21 days to 33 days

not sure if I going to be able to afford the extra days :angry:

Robert.

P.S. only thing is good is Thoa willing to have 2 wedding one in Gods eyes the other under the government eyes. so the whole time there I be marry and loving and holding my wife. while waiting for the red tape catch up to us. then it be official.

ptcrusier333rpm,,hmmmm, Actually,,, She likes the pictures of the GoldWing much better.

It's the mop thing I'm really worried about,,, I hate to get hit,, Unless,, I'm in leather :D .....

Rick :lol:

You can put the mop on the back of the bike--instead of a teddy bear.

as far as there school go---my wife's son is in his last year of high school when he got here(only had 5 months to go) .... He says the classes are very easy because he had all this stuff last year in china....

Hi, On the day my wife got her social security number, she was able to get a job the same day at H&R Block..... (not a receptionist, but as a Tax Associate). She is learning English and preparing tax returns at the same time! She started the H&R block tax class at the end of September when she arrived in America. :blink: