China Southern Airlines

We flew with Korean Air into USA about 2 weeks ago. We traveled overland to Guangzhou. The domestic flt bag limit within China was only 20kg. The international flt leaving GZ to NYC was as se_lang mention above 32kg per bag (70lbs) 2 per person

We skipped the domestic flt to GZ from Guilin and went overland by train for that reason alone. It was quite an adventure bringing it on the train.

We lugged home 4 big bags and 2 carryons including an induction cooker for our hotpot in USA.

It might be best to speak to the airline directly in person or email. From my experience most travel agents in China have NEVER flown internationally. So I think its possible to have confusion over this.

I took an international flight on NWA and the limit was much higher than the internal china domestic flights. Remember though if you luggage is overweight you only have to pay a fee. It might be another 40 bucks. You can negotiate this fee just like most products and services in china.

Maybe I can help - I have done a bunch of international and domestic China flights. First of all a 60 kg bag is not going anyway without special fees or arrangments.

For China Southern, on a international leg, luggage is covered by the "piece" rules. Total size and 32 kg ( 70 lbs) max per bag. This is pretty typical of all carriers international flights. They mention thier domestic restrictions ( 20 kg), because these rules apply for domestic flight. You can get hung up with a legal international bag on a connecting domestic flight.

I have flown domestically with a bag or bags over 20 kg, but it was just a bit over - no where near 30 kg. The baggage rules in China typically have lax enforcement, but I have seen folks run into trouble.

I do not know about the China airlines weight limit, but I just called United to check their limit and it is 70 lbs per bag. They can check in two bags on United for the International flight for a total of 140 lbs, about 64 kilograms. And because the flight originates from China the same weight limits apply to the domestic leg of the flight...to sunny southern California. :lol:

Maybe the China airline uses the same weight guidelines?

When I told MM this morning that she could check in 140 lbs I quickly found out she is going out shopping again to make sure her bags are full. :D