AOS interview May 11th...

In September 2004, my wife arrived on a K-3 visa from China. We quickly filled out the AOS paperwork and mailed it in. We just received a letter in the mail that the interview will be on May 11th.

Assuming we have success at the interview, what happens? I suspect she will be issued a green card. Also, what has changed or what has improved? I feel like I am waiting in line, but I dont know why.

Randy

In September 2004, my wife arrived on a K-3 visa from China. We quickly filled out the AOS paperwork and mailed it in. We just received a letter in the mail that the interview will be on May 11th. 

Assuming we have success at the interview, what happens? I suspect she will be issued a green card. Also, what has changed or what has improved?  I feel like I am waiting in line, but I dont know why.

Randy

Once she has the green card, that is all you have to do, unless you are given a 2 year conditional green card, then you will need to remove the conditions within 90 days of its expiring.

Once in possession of a valid green card, she and you have nothing else to do!

A green card acts like a visa, which never needs to be renewed, and allows unlimited entry to the US. It also acts like a tourist visa to go to Canada or Mexico, and makes your SO obtaining normal tourist visas to the EU nations and others much easier.

It allows your SO to obtain a normal social security card, without requiring DHS authorization. It allows for many many things. It entitles yours SO to work, and in some states to even vote in state-wide or local elections. It entitles your SO to be employed in almost any job in the nation (with a few working for the Military or Intelligence or other "critical" US government departments, being excluded).

So, just get through it, and get the card, and enjoy!

You do not have to do anything from that point forward...and be happy you are so close to done! :D

In September 2004, my wife arrived on a K-3 visa from China. We quickly filled out the AOS paperwork and mailed it in.   We just received a letter in the mail that the interview will be on May 11th.  

Assuming we have success at the interview, what happens? I suspect she will be issued a green card.   Also, what has changed or what has improved?  I feel like I am waiting in line, but I dont know why.

Randy

Once she has the green card, that is all you have to do, unless you are given a 2 year conditional green card, then you will need to remove the conditions within 90 days of its expiring.

Once in possession of a valid green card, she and you have nothing else to do!

A green card acts like a visa, which never needs to be renewed, and allows unlimited entry to the US. It also acts like a tourist visa to go to Canada or Mexico, and makes your SO obtaining normal tourist visas to the EU nations and others much easier.

It allows your SO to obtain a normal social security card, without requiring DHS authorization. It allows for many many things. It entitles yours SO to work, and in some states to even vote in state-wide or local elections. It entitles your SO to be employed in almost any job in the nation (with a few working for the Military or Intelligence or other "critical" US government departments, being excluded).

So, just get through it, and get the card, and enjoy!

You do not have to do anything from that point forward...and be happy you are so close to done! :D

Passing sounds great...

What happens if you don't pass?????? and what would be the reasons????

Guest Long_strider

Reasons for not passing include.... evidence of fraud, felony convictions since entering the US, lack of proof of a valid relationship.

If you don't pass, they will give you rights of appeal at that time. Best to see an immigration lawyer at that point.

long_strider

Mike has the meat of it. Other reasons you may not pass are If your wife ever claimed to be a US citizen, voted in an election or is a subversive member of the communist party. Don't sweat the AOS interview. As long as your marriage is for real and you have some evidence such as joint bank account statements, utility bills in both names, your wife on your company health plan etc, you will do fine. If your wife's English is only so so I would recommend you take a translator. You are not allowed to translate for your spouse so if the interviewing officer doesn't think her English is up to par you may have to come back for another interview.

Mike has the meat of it. Other reasons you may not pass are If your wife ever claimed to be a US citizen, voted in an election or is a subversive member of the communist party.  Don't sweat the AOS interview.  As long as your marriage is for real and you have some evidence such as joint bank account statements, utility bills in both names, your wife on your company health plan etc, you will do fine.  If your wife's English is only so so I would recommend you take a translator.  You are not allowed to translate for your spouse so if the interviewing officer doesn't think her English is up to par you may have to come back for another interview.

Thanks Carl

Just got AOS interview date of April 12. I was wondering about the English part of it...Not so much for YI as I think she can make it ok.. But the son I am wondering about.. He don't talk period--let alone english.. His AOS interview will follow soon after...

Maybe before then you can fill me in on what kind of questions they ask????same as GZ???

Heard your SO is the proud owner of a DL permit now...congrats...