Sorry to disagree with first post but suggest you purchase your roundtrip tickets from major ciity in east with destination of Hong Kong. When you break up the flight, even though as it is posted, maybe cheaper flight SF to Hong Kong, if you add both flights together (east coast - SF), the price will usually be much higher.

Check a couple of online outfits such as Expedia or Travelocity. I used Travelocity in past to Guangzhou and waited until month or 2 before flying. Very good prices. Sign up with them and they will even email you as prices become available on "specials". They also have posting for hotels in Hong Kong. Use the cheaper *** and you will find they are every bit as good as american Holiday Inns, etc. here in US.. I'll bet you get hotel for less than $60. a night. Do it all online and save hassle of purchase on arrival and have your reservation. I have used the service for hotels and also air travel inside China with reservations and payment to Travelocity. http://www.travelocity.com/ best wishes...richard

I'm estimating that my fiance will get approved around June or July of this year.  I plan to go and pick her up in Hong Kong then.  Any suggestions on plane tickets and hotels.  I'm flying out of the Northeastern United States.  Thanks.

They have *daily* nonstop flights from JFK and EWR to Beijing. They have daily non-stops from NYC to HK and to SH.

(I live near and have always flown the route, non-stop, from JFK to Beijing.)

The prices run as follows:

RTX from NYC to Beijing should cost from 700-750. If they are charging you more, you are getting jipped. Send me a PM and I can hook you up with a company in chinatown that can do it for you for that price.

From NYC to Hong Kong, the price is about 750-850. Again, if being charged more, talk to me.

*do not* take any of the indirect flights, it is a waste of your time (and will cost more).

One last thing:

Never fly internally in the US unless you do not live near SF, Vancouver, LA, or NYC! It is always far cheaper to fly direct.

If you must pay more than 750 direct (to go to Beijing or Shanghai) from the East Coast, or 850 to Hong Kong from the east coast (or 600 from the west coast), you are paying FAR too much. Go to your local China town and talk with them. If you do not know a person there who can do it for you, the people I use in the NYC suburban area will gladly help you. I do not have any business dealings with them, it is just that I use them and they are dang cheap!

Happy flying...

I have flown a few different airlines and prices and paths of travel. My favorite is taking a new A330 Airbus from SF to GZ on Northwest Airlines. I have seen prices around $800-1200 depending on availability, time of year, and how far in advance you book. I have seen people get great prices up until a few days prior(or not)--depending on these conditions, and I have seen people pay much more far in advance(or not). I always check out every place people say to look so I get an idea of prices. I live in fear of tiny seats on crowded airplanes with no entertainment for 16 hours.

Best of luck, and let me know how it turns out...

I am more interested in what the best way is to get cheap airfares one-way out of China.  Is it best to buy there or try to reserve in advance?  I expect that we will be returning with a visa during the most expensive fly months

I got a direct flight from Beijing to New York City for her for 490$US. Even on the street in Beijing it seems the going price is about 4500Yuan, which is about 520$US. I used my same agency that I always use. To the west coast, they range from about 300-350$US (if you use a good agency again).

As always, I can point you in their direction, or you can do it yourself! The agency I use is a local in a NYC Suburban Chinatown area.